Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Tyke template...think Snes.

I agree with lunarea man, everyone is a rookie in the the beginning so it's all good :D, i will try to help you out with it if you like.

And yes re shading the rm2k tilesets would probably work out nicely too :)

I'm currently trying to create sprites using this template, I would try to make my own graphics to fit with them, though I don't know what kind of stuff I'd crap out. -_-

Go for it man, i wish more folks tried making their own stuff that way we'd get something other than than rtp graphics every time.

Alright check it out, i'm going to work on a small outer chipset for tyke but as you guys know by now i tend to stop working on something after a while and then i go back to something else, so if i stop working on this after a while it would be cool if you guys carried on then, i will of coarse be around to give some tips and such, i was also working on another small template (only a tad bigger than a tileset grid) but that's no biggie i can leave that for another time XD

I like the first one, it's better than my tileset...
Yes, I'm working on a Tyke Tileset. It still isn't good enough to be released yet...

Thanks for the feedback guys, i have decided to include both so that you can choose whichever you like, already have the trees (leaf, and bare), roof, and some windows made i will show that soon.

Kururu: I'm happy that you're giving it a go :), can't wait to see it.

The grass looks very reminiscent of shag carpetting. In other words, too neat. Just maybe add a few tiles for clumps of grass that jut out, and a tall grass kinda thing. Should be ok.

Just one question:

When making tilesets for this type of small template, what should the size of objects such as doors and barrels be? Should they fit within the 32x32 frame of each tileset?

Sasuke: Glad you like the tileset man, hey you can always work on a short tyke tale on the side :D

Ratty: Objects should be around the size of the template, not exactly but around there, some objects work well in one grid and others you have to place in between two, here's an example.

If i where to keep the windows in the middle of the grid it would be too high up so i used two spaces so that it would come closer to the character, (same thing with the lantern), there's always going to be a bit of a distance thing with some objects because of the temp size and the rmxp resolution but that's the way to go about it.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u132 ... mple-1.png[/IMG]

Of coarse you can also have some windows that are higher up too, that was just a small example of how some things work best.

I can sprite pretty well but i can't explain anything for shit :/, so hope that made some sense to you.

Hi again! I'm back from a bit of a break and coming back to tilesetting for the Tyke again soon, been playing TONS of pokemon and Animal Crossing for reference and now I'm packed with ideas. ;)

@Drift, good job on the houses. I think the grass is is starting to shape up as well.

Thanks, i have created a couple more things since then, like a bush, some crates and some optional tops for them and the barrel, you know without the lid or full of water or fruit.

I have begun on a cliff wall, i so far have the bottom side but tell me what you think of it before i go any farther, i will probably add an altered version of the cliff bottom and middle section too.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u132 ... ffWall.png[/IMG]

Edit: Crap there's something i forgot to do for this bottom area of the cliff, i will upload another small picture again soon :)

yes man this is looking awesome, I still think it's great you can sprite as well as your brother. And that wall is coming along great, but it doesn't look like a bottom, more like the middle tiles.

Thanks L and Gr :*), been working hard on it and i plan to release it soon, i will work on it in sections similar to the rtp, so after i finish with the cliff and create a couple of other small things i will release it, then start work on something like an inner home or cave.

Green raven: That's what i forgot to do lol, but have that fixed now.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.