Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Reaper

[Full Game] Reaper [Horror-RPG]

Reaper%20Banner.PNG

Recent News:

28 June 2008
Updated the website.
Updated the banner.

7 June 2008
Uploaded Reaper V(2.0)
Major glitch where you didn't have to complete half of the game to win was repaired.
Please redownload ^^

2 April 2008
Uploaded Reaper V(1.8).

1 April 2008
Fixed Load/Save Error (and some other bugs).  Please download Reaper V(1.7) if you first downloaded V(1.1).
Working towards the load/save error.  Help would be appreciated ^^

31 March 2008
Website Launched.  Clickie.
Uploaded Reaper (Version 1.1)

About:
Reaper is a horror-based role playing game.  Originally inspired from the game 'Clock-Tower', the game does not follow the rules of logic however still has a detailed plot-line.
You are seeking the job as maid in a rather infamous house.
In the game, you must use items to interact with the environment and using your initiative to progress further, avoiding anything out to get you.  I'm not going to reveal much here, as it IS a horror game and the horror is finding the surprises in store for you  :wink: !

Characters:
Alicia: An innocent bystander who just happened to be unemployed at the wrong time in the wrong place.
I'm not going to reveal any of the other characters here.

Screenshots:
Screenshot1.bmp

Screenshot2.bmp

Credits:
Director
[---------------]
Fireworks Inc

Scripts
[---------------]
Fireworks Inc
(Usernames from http://www.creationasylum.net)
(Usernames from http://www.rmxp.org)
(Usernames from http://www.gamebaker.com)
Arevulopapo
Dubealex
Ccoa
Mac
MiDas Mike
Minkoff
Mr.DJ
Phylomorphis
Rataime
Sandgolem
Scriptkitty
UNKOWN
XRXS Scripters

Graphics
[---------------]
Fireworks Inc
(www.creationasylum.net)
(www.rmxp.org)
(www.rpg-palace.com)
Inquisitor
Various Graphic Designers

Music and Sound
[---------------]
Brandon Abley
Various Artists

Mapping
[---------------]
Fireworks Inc

Storyline
[---------------]
Fireworks Inc
Various Inspirations

Special Thanks
[---------------]
http://www.creationasylum.net -  Tons of resources !
http://www.rmxp.org - All the information I needed !
RPG Maker XP - Where would I be without this program?
[---------------]

If I've missed anyone out - just tell me ^^!

Download V(2.0) NEW! (Download This):
Mirror 1 [Mediafire]
Mirror 2 [Rpgm.org]

Download V(1.8):
Mirror 1 [Mediafire]
Mirror 2 [Filefactory] [Unavailable at the moment]
Mirror 3 [Rpgm.org]

Download V(1.7):
Mirror 1 [Mediafire]
Mirror 2 [Filefactory]
Mirror 3 [Rpgm.org]

Download V(1.1):
Mirror 1 [Mediafire]
Mirror 2 [Filefactory]

WARNING = This is quite a short game, maybe 10 - 30 minutes gameplay (depending on how smart you are).  (Please) Don't flame me for the shortness in length, it was never meant to be a very long game.

Have fun playing ^^!  If you need any help - just post!

I was in the game for maybe 1 minute, I tried to open the door by the fire place, then suddenly the game prompted me to save. The instant the menu closed a figure appeared next to me and I died before my fingers could reach the arrow keys. When I tried to continue my game there was an error message and the game crashed.

Also, I strongly advise against using lyrical music outside of cutscenes, especially something so blatantly "omg scarryy"

Ok - I'm working towards this error.  I think it's something to do with the particle engine and Scene_Load.
Any help towards this would be really appreciated ^^
In the mean time, I guess you won't be able to save =(  Oh, and the lyrical music does have a purpose ^^.
Try not standing by the fireplace when the figure bursts through the door =).

moog

Sponsor

This music style sounds similar to another RPG Maker game I played *scratches head*

Its interesting, nonetheless =D

Yeah, the music is from 'Grave Spirit' by Brandon Abley.

Don't worry - He said people are allowed to use it as long as they credit him, which I did ^^
Other music is from various resource sites across the net.

mawk

Sponsor

I really dislike the choice of music here. Lyrics don't really fit the image of little expressionless pixel dudes running around, and it totally doesn't fit the MIDI tune that you're confronted with maybe thirty seconds after the song starts playing... and as Shark said, it's far too expressly creepy. Alright, she's in the house, but she doesn't know anything's going to happen yet. As a general rule, background music should begin with mimicking whatever the player's character (or those around him/her) should be feeling. A quieter and more subtle track would do a great deal better in establishing that the house is empty and dark and the main character is feeling a little creeped out, but not yet at the point of a full-on skin-crawly paranoia -- and it would make the transition into the MIDI and the events that accompany it all the more effective.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you'd lighten the screen tone by just a touch. I shouldn't have to stop and squint to see what's a floor and what's a roof and oh my god are those chairs chairs or something worse.

Anyway, downloading 1.7 now.

Sidenote: I hope you don't use screamers in the game. They can work within a game's atmosphere, but it's tough to set them up so they don't just feel cheap. :(

(Whenever someone makes a "horror" game, they bypass the more subtle media and leap straight to spamming screamers. It's really annoying sometimes. :x)

moog

Sponsor

Fireworksinc":1k4qnh5r said:
Yeah, the music is from 'Grave Spirit' by Brandon Abley.

Don't worry - He said people are allowed to use it as long as they credit him, which I did ^^
Other music is from various resource sites across the net.

Thats what it was! I was sitting here all day trying to figure it out...

Lol @ Tokyo.

And sorry Miek, I'm no good with music and I'm probably not the person to make a high quality horror game for RPG Maker.  I was aiming for something along the lines of 'little ghost children creepy' and that was all I could find.  And I find the screen colour tone exceptionally light for a horror game =S.  Maybe you should increase the brightness setting on your computer.

Anyway - thanks for the constructive criticism ^^  I'll work on that.

EDIT: Oh - btw Miek - You should probably download V(1.8).  It's not a big error that will majorly effect gameplay, but it was a little bug I thought should be updated.  If you've already downloaded V(1.7) though, I wouldn't worry about it.

I was going to give a review when I completed it, but I am stuck. I just escaped the figure, got in the door by the fireplace and picked up matches. Now what? All other doors are jammed or locked, and I can't find a place to use matches. Maybe i'm missing something, because the screen can be seriously dark sometimes.

Okay, I completed the game. I never used the spear or any hiding spot throughout the game.And  there is a bug that when you light the house on fire, and you run to the hall with the mirror with a key in it, you get the message to pick it up again.

Overall, the game wasn't very scary, but I know it's hard to create a scary and tense game in RPG maker. Some of the effetcs were really cool, like the fire effects. There were no real enemies in the game ,except for Freddy at the start. I would love to see a sequel thats longer and has a deeper story though. Good job :)

This was an experimental game to see if I could pull it off.  Obviously I did a mediocre to below average job, but I'll take your advice and I am planning a longer, deeper and more effective sequel to the game. 

Questions:
You never used the spear or any hiding spot?
How did you escape the poltergirl or get the burnt baby?

And are you sure you were playing the latest version?  I'm pretty sure I fixed the fire/key bug.
Oh - and please use spoilers next time.  We don't want to spoil the plot =)!

Sorry about the spoiler thing :P

Burning baby and poltergeist? I never encountered those in game. And yeah, I'm playing version 1,8. What I did was (Now this is spoiler)
(Now this is spoiler :O)
Once I got the spade, I just banged the mirror, got the key, used it on the box. Then I got to the fighting sequence, dropped the match and thats it. Either it's a bug that I never encountered the poltergeist or the burning baby. If it's something I missed i'd gladly play the game again to check it out.

EDIT:
Again, major spoiler
I replayed the game ,this time I used the spear on the fireplace to get the baby. I encountered the poltergeist (Which creeped me out). The key bug is still there though, and the game can be completed without ever using the spear or hiding. I took a screen of the key bug: http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/Auroron/Bug.jpg
You can get unlimited amount of keys for re-entering the room over and over again. My patient ran out at 4 though.

mawk

Sponsor

Oh, as a sidenote, will my save data be transferrable to 1.8? I haven't played recently, so I'm still in the backyard right after getting the matches -- if your bugfix didn't change anything before that point, I should be fine with switching to 1.8, or whichever number this next bugfix'll be.

If all the bugs get fixed, the game will be quite good. Again, I wish you make a sequel, I would play that, since this game has a lot of potential. Good luck further with your games :)

Miek: Yeah, your save transfer should work fine.  However, if you get any further and then transfer again, it might cause some problems, so I'd keep a copy of the save somewhere else.

Uroron: Thanks again for the heads up.  When/If I do make a sequel, it will be longer with more of a plot and hopefully will be bug free.  This game was just created so I could take a break from my main one.  It did originally have quite a deep plot if you figured what was going on out, but the length of time the game takes to complete is so short it couldn't convey the plot properly.

Thanks again for the feedback guys - It's really helpful ^^

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.