Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Legacy of Zalgoth

[CoG] Legacy of Zagolth

I've been thinking... And come up with something. One person is going to hit me with the biggest "I told you so," ever, and others are going to feel let down after supporting me.

I think Despain is right. The more I fight about it, the more I try and defend it the more it seems he was right all along. After the puzzling opening, it seems pointless to just drop it like that. Why settling for that flashback Village sequence when I could make it so much better.

I came up with this idea while making a puzzle that Juno suggested. I thought, why should I just stop at this one? This village sequence can be n times better than it already is if I add make more of this kind of thing in the village.

So, I'm going to take out the village sequence completely, and replace it with a better one, which will hopefully give the gameplay a bit of a boost.

Now, the narrative I've used already will stay. I'm going to keep the dog-food scene, the Elevenses (Mid-morning snack, non-brits =P) the party scene, and the final scene. So most of it, but hopefully with this added gameplay aspect those who don not play for story won't care too much.

Again, I'm so sorry for those who backed me up, but I feel this is the right thing to do to make my game better. The narrative will stay, but the gameplay will be better than "Find 8 people", now.

As you progress more and more, you'll probably find that you've been continuously improving along the way, and everything in the beginning would pale in comparison. There is a similar urge to go back and revamp every time it happens; mainly to watch for that as it is potentially a time spiral.

Reives":230apoqn said:
As you progress more and more, you'll probably find that you've been continuously improving along the way, and everything in the beginning would pale in comparison. There is a similar urge to go back and revamp every time it happens; mainly to watch for that as it is potentially a time spiral.
Yes, I agree with you there, but I think the village is a special case since it was one of the very first things I did, having originally planned the village to be the first section of the game, telling the story in a linear fashion.

I'm happy with the rest of the game, and I'm a bit worried that future dungeons won't be able to compare with the others in this chapter (especially the Armadro Waterway), so I'm not going back to revamp all that. Just the Village.

Oh of course, I was just saying to keep it in mind as you go; since from my personal experience, one revamp tend to make me want to spend time on redoing everything along the way at times, which draws a lot of progress away. 

Thanks, Reives. I spent a lot of time doing that in this game, actually. This will actually be the fourth version of Saturi Headland. :P

Baisically, I'm taking a page from Fable's book, in that there will be multiple quests for the player to do, but will only be required to do some of them. One such I've come up with is a barrel pushing puzzle, where barrels in the Inn's basement can only be pushed in the direction they're facing.

Ah yeah, that's the best way to go, as it'll please both those who likes or doesn't like the tasks. I guess the challenge would be to hold yourself down from feeling "wasted" that some players will not touch some things that were worked on, heheh.

Reives":mo6xku7f said:
Ah yeah, that's the best way to go, as it'll please both those who likes or doesn't like the tasks. I guess the challenge would be to hold yourself down from feeling "wasted" that some players will not touch some things that were worked on, heheh.
Well, that could be a good thing. I'll give them the option of doing all of them if they want, but if not, then the players could only do the quests they feel like doing.

I'm glad you made the decision to revamp the village sequence and I'm not going to say "I told you so". It's your choice and I'm just glad that I helped you reach it.

a game can always be improved to be better andbetter (Which is why i've never released anything completely, i'm a HORRIBLE perfectionist and nothing is EVER good enough for me. even when i release a demo i'll want to restart from the beginning the next day because it will seem embarassing). so don't fall into that. but some scenes really need to be improved sometimes and i think that the village here is a great example of that.

good luck and i look forward to playing it :)

glad your revamping it
i got as far as gathering people for the party, but gave up because I couldn't find all of them.

its a shame too 'cause the intro got me hooked.

and i loved all the British colloquialisms (mate, crickey, eleveneses etc) 
although i do understand how that could alienate a few people.
I'm british so i understood them all though  :wink:

HxC Debaser":2xx0rv3g said:
and i loved all the British colloquialisms (mate, crickey, eleveneses etc)

*smirk*

HxC Debaser":2xx0rv3g said:
although i do understand how that could alienate a few people.
I'm british so i understood them all though  :wink:

I don't understand how I'm alientating people, though. I really don't, since they are only small words that appear less than 5 times in the whole game.

Hmmmm...

It's like... When something is really Americanized it puts off a lot of English people (The Office, Britain's Got Talent... pretty much any show that starts in England has an American spin-off, the original English audience is discouraged). What I mean is, the same way we're fussy and nit-pick about things becoming Americanized, Americans are a bit up-tight about things becoming...erm... English-ified
And i'm guessing people on here aren't used to seeing British 'slang' in games.

hmmm.
can't please everyone i guess, but people that don't understand some of the words might be confused.

FYI i picked up on the cliche military names and found them quite charming... as long as it isn't leading up to the American navy ariving in the last 5 minutes to do a bit of a dance and take the credit for beating the last boss =]
(dont take that too seriously it was a joke :) )

Fayte":k22jcsbe said:
what exactly does elevenses mean??
It's a mid-morning snack. The scene where they have "elevenses," I thought woul have explained that. Ah well. I'm putting a breif line where Dejack says "That's a mid-morning snack," in for you. :P

It's a complete nonissue. The writing in MotW probably betrays my American-ness to players in other countries, but who gives a shit? I'd just leave it alone. You're British, it's a British game. End of discussion.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.