Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Pokemon X and Y

xbox.jpg
ybox.jpg

Game: Pokémon X/Y
Release date: October 2013, WORLDWIDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzO6J981nAw

Starter pokes;
chespin.png
fennekin.png
froakie.png

Legendary pokes;
xerneas.png
yveltal.png

Smexy new pokes:
panchum.png
fletchling.png
gogoat.png
helioptile.png

Some new familiar faces;
sylveon.png
mewtwo.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pse_I1klRhAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnwB6neGlY

New "Kalos" region
karos.jpg

Those animations look sick!

9.jpg
8.jpg

5.jpg
7.jpg

The city's look gorgeous too

16.jpg
24.jpg

17.jpg
18.jpg

CUSTOMIZATION!

19.jpg
21.jpg

20.jpg
22.jpg

Various other shizzle

44.jpg
29.jpg

38.jpg
33.jpg

36.jpg
40.jpg

46.jpg
47.jpg

Jason

Awesome Bro

My starter will definitely 110% be Froakie, he looks retarded AND awesome at the same time, so it's a yes from me.

Not sure if I want X or Y though, I like the bird more than the deer, but X has a better logo (I think the blue goes better with it)

GOD MOTHERFUCKING DAMMIT.

The deer looks genius to me, much better than those retarded robot like things from the last 2 gens.

That flying thing looks like a Y in some of it final screens.
legend2.jpg

Jason

Awesome Bro

Aepriz":3d4yxl5z said:
The deer looks genius to me, much better than those retarded robot like things from the last 2 gens.

legend2.jpg

I thought that was the point? That they were supposed to look like an X and Y in their poses?

Jason":gkhmkl1v said:
Aepriz":gkhmkl1v said:

legend2.jpg

I thought that was the point? That they were supposed to look like an X and Y in their poses?
After taking a look at the logos I noticed.

heaarrraaaauuuuuuuuubblleeeehhhhhhhgggg.
I'm not sure man. I'm really not.
The visuals looks cool, yeh. That deer legendary looks boss, but just... haaaaaa...
Who ever did the design for the starters should get a huge ass slap. Seriously. The only one who doesn't look retarded is the fire one. I'M A FUCKING GRASS TRAINER GODDAMN IT!!!
To be honest, I still haven't brought Black 2...
I'm excited about the way they are releasing it, cause this way I won't get all of the pokemon spoilt for me.
Oh well... I'll see if I can get it.
I'm more excited about the new Fire emblem coming out on 3DS...

Hiccup":3idx334q said:
heaarrraaaauuuuuuuuubblleeeehhhhhhhgggg.
I'm not sure man. I'm really not.
The visuals looks cool, yeh. That deer legendary looks boss, but just... haaaaaa...
Who ever did the design for the starters should get a huge ass slap. Seriously. The only one who doesn't look retarded is the fire one. I'M A FUCKING GRASS TRAINER GODDAMN IT!!!
To be honest, I still haven't brought Black 2...
I'm excited about the way they are releasing it, cause this way I won't get all of the pokemon spoilt for me.
Oh well... I'll see if I can get it.
I'm more excited about the new Fire emblem coming out on 3DS...

I actually really like that deer, looks awesome judging from the trailer

Jason

Awesome Bro

I don't know, it doesn't really give off a... legendary vibe, y'know? Not sure why though, but I'm just not feeling it... the bird on the other hand looks pretty cool...

Jason":2jefxpzu said:
I don't know, it doesn't really give off a... legendary vibe, y'know? Not sure why though, but I'm just not feeling it... the bird on the other hand looks pretty cool...
I know what you mean. I think it's cause there were like 2 or 3 deer pokemon in black and white that had elaberate horn designs.
I like the look of it though.
The bird reminds me of giratina or however the fuck you spell it.

That reminds me. Hey anyone remember fighting Requaza? Wasn't that a son of a bitch to catch? I hope theres pokemon in x and y like that. It was a real challenge.

Now heres the thing. My problem with pokemon. No. My problem with nintendo as a whole is this:
All their main titles are essentially the same game. Mario: go through the same levels beating the same monsters to kill the same bowser to save the same princess peach. Seriously, they need to do something outside the box with it.
Let's take a look at pokemon:
Catch all the pokemon,beat the bad guys, catch the legendary, beat eleate 4.
Over and over, the same game.
Sure with those you have things like Paper mario and Pokemon rangers, but do they get as much spotlight. Not really. It's always the same games that get masses of promotion. Because it sold well the first time! Let's sell it again, but this time lets have a vomit monster. Oh and make the box art look pretty.
Seriously. I love nintendo as much as most nintendo fans but I don't think I can hack it anymore. What I liked about nintendo was when they made GOOD games and not repeats of old games. Nintendo is very much like every time you see a friends episode on T.V. Unless you're an avid fan you won't rush to see it. And to be honest it would probably be an episode you've seen a million times.
So I yes. I will most likely buy it. But no. I won't enjoy the fact that nintendo is making it's money of off "Nostalgia" and over weight people who want sports games.

Dear Nintendo.
Do something different.
From Hiccup.

I'm tired of the same storyline over and over with half-assed pokemon and a billion legendaries.

It's bad enough that they cock-teased hard in Red/Blue/Green with the Giovanni storyline possibly having some depth like the source material, which they most definitely didn't deliver on.

And Gold/Silver/Crystal was even worse again with the one-off Giovanni cave fight and no build to fighting Red. (Though fighting Red was admittedly pretty cool)

The last Pokemon game I obtained legitimately was original Gold and Silver, and I don't see that changing until they decide actually adding some depth and flavor to their games. Hell, I didn't even bother with Black/White.

And I swear, if this fire starter is a Fire/Fighting type, Gamefreak's headquarters will be fire-bomed.

(AND WHY DOES EVERY STARTER LOOK LIKE SHIT NOW?)

i'm gonan call it out now but I feel the starters typing will end like this;

Fire/psychic (used a psychic attack in the trailer)
Water/fighting (Seems to be physical and gives of a fighting vibe)
Grass/dark (dark to even the other two out)

I think the grass pokemon is adorable just saying

As for pokemon games changing they do differ. I personally think theyve gotten better as new generations came out. After playing gold again, i realized that it was probably the worst one out of all of them (imo).

Gold introduced mechanics such as happiness, day and night cycles, breeding, and shiny pokemon.

Effort values, natures, special abilities were introduced in generation 3.

Generation 4 introduced moves either having special or physical attributes instead of having it based on type. It also expanded on previous generations pokemon by adding evolutions to them. Also, it introduced new types of evolution such as gender, etc.

Generation 5 added a second nature attribute and dream world abilities (alternative rare abilities). Generation 5 also made things easier for the player. Audino and shaking grass were introduced. This doesnt sound like a big deal but Audino gives a butt ton of exp, which severely cuts down a lot of grind when you want to train a weaker pokemon.

Yes the basic formula has pretty much remained the same but, I would say pokemon has evolved a lot. Each pokemon game has tweaked the formula adding more variety to your experience. I personally thought Black and White were the best pokemon games in the series.

You're not going to find a complicated, deep story in pokemon because that is not what its about. Its about training your pokemon and becoming the ultimate pokemon master. I mean the game is supposed to be pick up and play accessible so that all ages can play it; focusing on the story just isnt what the game needs to be about.

im excited to say the least

Fusty

Sponsor

Meh. I haven't been able to enjoy a single Pokémon game after Ruby & Saphire... After those it seems to me that the Pokémon designs just kept going downhill...
This one doesn't look to special either. And maybe it's just me, but I really dislike the 3d looks of the newer games :l
I'll just replay Gold and maybe emulate this to give it a shot one day.

I think the starters look fine. I've always chosen the water starter (except for Cyndaquil) but that lil' grass guy is making it reallllllyyyyy tempting!

Hiccup":1z1p2cmf said:
Jason":1z1p2cmf said:
I know what you mean. I think it's cause there were like 2 or 3 deer pokemon in black and white that had elaberate horn designs.
I like the look of it though.
The bird reminds me of giratina or however the fuck you spell it.

That reminds me. Hey anyone remember fighting Requaza? Wasn't that a son of a bitch to catch? I hope theres pokemon in x and y like that. It was a real challenge.

Now heres the thing. My problem with pokemon. No. My problem with nintendo as a whole is this:
All their main titles are essentially the same game. Mario: go through the same levels beating the same monsters to kill the same bowser to save the same princess peach. Seriously, they need to do something outside the box with it.
Let's take a look at pokemon:
Catch all the pokemon,beat the bad guys, catch the legendary, beat eleate 4.
Over and over, the same game.
Sure with those you have things like Paper mario and Pokemon rangers, but do they get as much spotlight. Not really. It's always the same games that get masses of promotion. Because it sold well the first time! Let's sell it again, but this time lets have a vomit monster. Oh and make the box art look pretty.
Seriously. I love nintendo as much as most nintendo fans but I don't think I can hack it anymore. What I liked about nintendo was when they made GOOD games and not repeats of old games. Nintendo is very much like every time you see a friends episode on T.V. Unless you're an avid fan you won't rush to see it. And to be honest it would probably be an episode you've seen a million times.
So I yes. I will most likely buy it. But no. I won't enjoy the fact that nintendo is making it's money of off "Nostalgia" and over weight people who want sports games.

Dear Nintendo.
Do something different.
From Hiccup.
What exactly do you want them to do? Radically changing the structure would also not make it a Pokemon game anymore. The plot and structure is as much a part of Pokemon as its gameplay.

Pokemon games sell like hot pockets with every generation. Do you really expect Nintendo to dramatically change the series and risk losing that kind of loyalty? I'm not saying they should never ever ever fundamentally change Pokemon games because they can get kind of stale, but it's not something Nintendo will likely ever do. There are Pokemon spinoff games (Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Ranger) but they're not that great unless you're a diehard fan of the series.

I still think Nintendo makes good games. The problem is that until Nintendo stops making millions of dollars from each title, it's unlikely that they'll change any series all that much. I'm getting tired of the New Super Mario Bros. games since they're each essentially the same thing and rarely attempt to change things up, but people still buy them in droves. I'd love to see a new Zelda title that broke the mold and went in an entirely new direction, but I'm not holding my breath. Of all these series, I think Pokemon is the only one that I'm glad stays consistent.

Also, guys: I hope you realize that Nintendo isn't making these games for you.

Nintendo's primary market for the Pokemon series is children. It has been since 1996 and always will be. Nintendo does not have 20-somethings who played Red and Blue as a kid in mind when they come up with new Pokemon games. They're aiming at 5-12 year olds who've perhaps never played a Pokemon game before. Everything about the series is new to these kids, hence the fact why very little changes with each new game.

Our generation seems to think that Nintendo is obligated to please us since we were among the first that played Pokemon and deserve to be catered to. If you think this is true then you're delusional. Nintendo doesn't owe our demographic anything so you either have to accept that or stop playing Pokemon games.

Jason

Awesome Bro

I'm actually interested in the new direction of art style, I mean, I LOVE pixels, and it would've been nice to have a sort of, sprite characters on 3D backgrounds thing going on, sort of like Black/White but more defined, y'know? But I'm actually really digging the 3D models and stuff here, and the camera work makes the battles seem way more dynamic...

Fusty

Sponsor

I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows that there's a lot of players out there who aren't 5-12 years old, so I very much doubt that's the only market they're aiming at.
Not saying that they should be tayloring the game to our needs, all I want them to do is get a decent designer in there who can think of some awesome looking Pokémon again.
As for the story, I completely agree with you, there's no need to change that since it is indeed part of the series. Beat gyms, kill the evil team, become champion.

Jason":123v73on said:
I'm actually interested in the new direction of art style, I mean, I LOVE pixels, and it would've been nice to have a sort of, sprite characters on 3D backgrounds thing going on, sort of like Black/White but more defined, y'know? But I'm actually really digging the 3D models and stuff here, and the camera work makes the battles seem way more dynamic...
Yeah I think the 3d is a interesting direction. I'm more excited for the battles than anything else. I mean this is everyone's dream right here coming into reality. The models themselves look really nice for a handheld IMO but I'm not digging the landscapes?

Like I said above, Nintendo has really fleshed out their battle systems and customization over the years. The depth come more from the gameplay and training over anything else. They've really given players newer options over the years.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.