Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Kailis

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got some exciting updates for you guys on the spriting front.

Firstly, the one and only Green Raven has joined the Kailis team. Expect the Breeze revamp to go MUCH quicker now!

And, secondly, we've got a new userbar-type thing. Only it's not a typical userbar. It's a little cooler, I think.
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/2788/superdash1um7.gif[/img]
Code:
[url=http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=12078]http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/2788/superdash1um7.gif[/img][/url]
Sure, it's not that great, but it's original, at least.
EDIT: Here's a new one!
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5912/newlunaavatarxr5.gif[/img]
Code:
[url=http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=12078]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5912/newlunaavatarxr5.gif[/img[/url]
Enjoy the updates and please let us know what you think.

Well I wanna get a little idea of what others think of this idea.
I am currently with the making of the revamp, considering making a more  "Simplistic" and clean looking hud that will match better with the style of the game.
From the screenshot, the minimap, time, and gold count will be in the top left corner, in the bottom left is the HP bar, under it is the EXP bar, and next to both is a new concept i'd like to introduce.

I am going to make skills use a little something I call Endurance, your endurance will regen in the game over time, displayed over the character, basically it is the same concept as mana, except it regenerates quickly allowing you to preform skills, but also limiting and adding a bit of strategy to the game when deciding when and which skills you should use. In addition to Endurance, we are sticking to the 1 hotkey system, which will make the player view and become more strategical when it comes to picking the technique you will want to use. Potions will still be viable to use as a hotkeyed item, 1 hotkey for them as well... However, if I can get a script that if such button is pressed, then it uses the highest potion in inventory, then if that doesn't exist move on to the next most powerful potion, so on so forth until you have no potions, then it will make a sound and display a small message for a second or two on the screen informing you that you have "No Potions"

In addition to those things said above, I would like to state, BUFFS (Benefitial Duration Spells to Self) are going to show their icon on the right side of Luna's portrait when they are on her. However, your current state (The first one inflicted so a first hit first show basis) will be displayed as an image of Luna, with a graphic of what her state is, whenever Luna is "Hit" it will display a Hurt graphic and flash the screen red as seen in the 2nd mock up.

Please remember these are mock ups and not created just yet, I still gotta find someone to script some of this stuff for me. Enjoy!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b347/ ... UD7MU1.png[/img]
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b347/ ... UD7MU2.png[/img]

Hello all
I have another HUD update, to your surprise it will be drastically different than what you saw before, many people i've talked to consider it more appealing and graphically aesthetic.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b347/ ... sHUD10.png[/img]

I am simply just reusing the same image over to show placeholders for buffs. You would in fact see "UP TO" 0-10 BUFF Icons depending if you have any on you or not. There will be times you only have 0 to 1 on you, where others may have 7 to 10, it just depends, they are all either temporary or constant unless removed. I simply put all 10 up to show where they would space out to be.

I don't plan on making the HP/END Bars any thinner, I actually like them like this a bit more, when I had the large fatter bars pushed it up a bit to much, this widens the visual view for players more.

I plan on hiding the Minimap, gold, and time unless a key is pressed. I also figured, when you acquire gold it will briefly pop up showing the gold total and then fade away. However, the time thing, I wonder, the guy hasn't updated his time system in so long that I don't know how easily it can be customized any more.

With that said knowing that is how things will work, do you think it is pretty safe to say it is basically finished? I don't really have much else to show/add to it, that was basically my final version since there isn't much else to add, if anything.

Axe is planning some stuff for the new HUD that requires a bit of animation.  Here's a sample of what it will be like when Luna's in good health.
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4830 ... sm2gm5.gif[/img]
Of course, other status effects will change the pose, and not all will be blinking animation.  But that's why they call this a sample
: D
And...if anyone can tell, Luna's 'basic' face has gotten a bit of an upgrade.  The old one's eyes were too far apart.  This new one makes her look a lot more button cute.

@Nononick: Yes, this hud is more simplistic, but that is to help move with the style better. The HUD will be very animated and you may end up liking it more. It took me a while to decide on this, but since we are switching to a new battle system (BlizzABS with Modifications special to Kailis), I figured a new HUD would be interesting, since our last one was designed around mr.mo's abs and he failed to contact me on updating the HUD for his NeoABS.

@Crystalgate: I'm glad to hear that. Since some skills, such as one that deals 3x normal damage+elemental damge would cost 80END, and since you would gain 10END every second, you'd be able to cast it once, with a fresh cooldown of 6 seconds, and then a 2nd raw cooldown of 8 seconds. Adds to strategy and also prevents people from overkill to some extent. Healing in the game is simply by potions since I never suggested Dragoons can actually heal them selves, I may create a skill that drains HP from an enemy upon hit, but that would be it, and the skill would not really be over powered so some people may not use it.

Skills will be obtained through leveling, story progression, and learning. Since a lot of things will be quite examinable you can use plaques, books, scrolls, writing on walls, statues, basically its up to you to explore and find new things because we won't give you every skill there is.

Axerax":1uqayaw2 said:
@Crystalgate: I'm glad to hear that. Since some skills, such as one that deals 3x normal damage+elemental damge would cost 80END, and since you would gain 10END every second, you'd be able to cast it once, with a fresh cooldown of 6 seconds, and then a 2nd raw cooldown of 8 seconds. Adds to strategy and also prevents people from overkill to some extent. Healing in the game is simply by potions since I never suggested Dragoons can actually heal them selves, I may create a skill that drains HP from an enemy upon hit, but that would be it, and the skill would not really be over powered so some people may not use it.
The way I see it, normally the question is if MP management is an issue. If it is, then use the most economic skill over and over and if it isn't, then use the strongest skill over and over. By having your version of MP regenerate quickly, you have one great opportunity to get away from that. The player don't need to worry about there being a lot of dungeon left at the end of the stamina, but he/she still cannot spam any skill with impunity.

Ultimately, it boils down to whether or not you can make the different enemies ask for different strategies. I have seen hundred of games where the enemies attacks in different ways and sometimes even defends in different ways, yet the strategy used to dispatch them is very similar. Can you make it so that a different strategy is recommended for a group of two lizardmen than for a group of three wolves?

The way I see it, normally the question is if MP management is an issue. If it is, then use the most economic skill over and over and if it isn't, then use the strongest skill over and over. By having your version of MP regenerate quickly, you have one great opportunity to get away from that. The player don't need to worry about there being a lot of dungeon left at the end of the stamina, but he/she still cannot spam any skill with impunity.

Ultimately, it boils down to whether or not you can make the different enemies ask for different strategies. I have seen hundred of games where the enemies attacks in different ways and sometimes even defends in different ways, yet the strategy used to dispatch them is very similar. Can you make it so that a different strategy is recommended for a group of two lizardmen than for a group of three wolves?

Yes in most games MP management is an issue, so excess money is spent on mana refreshing items, that are limited as it is as drops, thus conserving mana until boss fights is usually the best strategy. However, I wanted to stray away from that concept since i've seen it many times. I really hate getting to a boss, then having to leave the dungeon to get mana potions and come back, fight my way there, lose 25% of mana due to rushed fights, then use those items before the fight, run out of them mid fight, then it become a luck battle... And if you won you never got enough gold/money to actually accumulate to any worth other than more mana pot money. And after a while that concept just gets very old. My way, since dragoons don't initially use magic, there is said magic in Kailis, it is just not a possessed attribute of Dragoons. So endurance fit the concept well since you can build and lose endurance in real life by taking small breaks and keep going at stuff, so it is based around that concept, thus you get to the boss and still be 100% prepared for him/her/it.

Since the game is an Action Battle System, you fight enemies on the map. Thus, you can and will be pitted against hordes of enemies, though I am going to make special enemy attributes that they can take more damage from "group" strike skills, as opposed to "single" strike skills. This will be on top of the elemental stats that each enemy will have stuck to it.

So let's say we have this enemy:
Fire Ashen Kobold
Creature Type: Lizardman
Size: Small
HP: 500, MP: 100
Immunities: Fire
Resist: Group Damage; Earth
Weaknesses: Water; Single Target Damage
Offensive Strategy: To use fire magic or strike opponent with weapon. Run at low HP. Hearing and Sight Checks are Average.
Strategy to defeat: Simply use regular or single target skills.

Rabid Icemane Wolves
Creature Type: Beast
Size: Small
HP: 350 MP: 0
Immunities: Water
Resists: Earth, Wind, Single Target Damage
Weakness: Group Damage; Fire
Offensive Strategy: To use Glacial Bite, Claw, and close combat. Assists the same mob if under attack. Average Sight and Hearing checks.
Strategy to Defeat: Use group attacks, fire based skills, or a combination of fire and group attack skills.

As you can see here, some enemies will become easier to defeat if you have a pack of enemies by using group attacks which hit all enemies within range as opposed to single target skills or normal attacking. Where as the lizards are opposite and are quickly dispatched when you use single target skills or normal attacks. Even then there will be mobs resistant to both causing you to think outside the box, bosses among a few are ones who are like that.

I'm really glad to see someone interested in this I love to talk about it. Do you have any other questions?

Also I added quite a few new userbars for people with the newer style of the game and a few unseen characters, however I am not releasing what their names are let alone which episode they go to :)

Axerax":k394nf1e said:
As you can see here, some enemies will become easier to defeat if you have a pack of enemies by using group attacks which hit all enemies within range as opposed to single target skills or normal attacking. Where as the lizards are opposite and are quickly dispatched when you use single target skills or normal attacks. Even then there will be mobs resistant to both causing you to think outside the box, bosses among a few are ones who are like that.

I'm really glad to see someone interested in this I love to talk about it. Do you have any other questions?
Well, other than requiring the player to use the right skill for the right enemy, that system seem to make maneuverability and positioning of enemies important. If I meet multiple Rabid Icemane Wolves, I'd want to pack them together so that I can hit them with area of effect moves, assuming I can pull that of without having all of them hitting me at the same time. If I meet Fire Ashen Kobolds, I'd want to keep them apart and take them out one and one. At least this is what it looks like. It could be interesting if one were to encounter both RIWs and FAKs.

Anyway, I do have a question. You have described enemies that requires different mean to defeat them, but how important will it be to defend against you enemies correctly? Basically, are other means of reducing the damage you take from enemies besides killing them ASAP encouraged? I'm mainly thinking about boosting your defense and disabling/weakening the enemy.

ell, other than requiring the player to use the right skill for the right enemy, that system seem to make maneuverability and positioning of enemies important. If I meet multiple Rabid Icemane Wolves, I'd want to pack them together so that I can hit them with area of effect moves, assuming I can pull that of without having all of them hitting me at the same time. If I meet Fire Ashen Kobolds, I'd want to keep them apart and take them out one and one. At least this is what it looks like. It could be interesting if one were to encounter both RIWs and FAKs.

Anyway, I do have a question. You have described enemies that requires different mean to defeat them, but how important will it be to defend against you enemies correctly? Basically, are other means of reducing the damage you take from enemies besides killing them ASAP encouraged? I'm mainly thinking about boosting your defense and disabling/weakening the enemy.

@Part1: You're quite right with the maneuvering and positioning. Pulling like in MMO's will become a habit most players will make, even gathering enemies to quickly take them down will be a strategy as well. Enemies that attack in groups will likely not have strong overall damage as opposed to someone who is a single target. Some enemies will be faster than others while others will be slower as well. Sneaking around, using sight checks and watching for assistance mobs will be part of combat. So if you were to encounter both it is likely the wolves will be fast while the kobolds will be slower allowing time and positioning for kills.

@Part2: There is a "defend" key which either halves or negates damage, I'm unsure how it works atm with Blizzard's ABS since I switched. Defending can either slow you down, or help you dramatically, especially if you are in need of healing you can defend back up and heal, then get back into the fight. Or you can use the defensive offense tactic, go in defending, then after enemies may use skills or get positioned you can open up an offensive.

I also mentioned before, there will be Buffs, or beneficial states that can not only increase defense, hp, elemental damage, apply elemental damage, increase attack, but many other things, however only 10 can be active at a time and most are timed, while a few are passive. Also after completion of a new episode your weapon and armor get upgraded obtaining new stats depending on what soulshard it was you obtained in the episode. So the first episode would be based around the concept of earth.

Luna and Enemies can cause Debuffs to each other. Debuffs are negative or harmful states that last a specific amount of time. These are not limited to things such as Poison, weaken, enfeeble, slow, blind, daze, and more. Some enemies will be able to cast buffs, but it will seem more like an unafflicted debuff to you since you will likely see more damage to you, harder to hit enemies, less damage, and more. All of this will be for strategy in the game.

Do you wanna know how we will take a look at boss battles?

Axerax":riug5mnu said:
I can guess. First you kill all accompanying cannon fodder enemies. Then you face the boss and trade blows. If you have enough healing items in stock, you will kill the boss before running out of healing.

Just kidding. Please tell.

Crystalgate":34p9x2p4 said:
Axerax":34p9x2p4 said:
I can guess. First you kill all accompanying cannon fodder enemies. Then you face the boss and trade blows. If you have enough healing items in stock, you will kill the boss before running out of healing.

Just kidding. Please tell.

Rofl, yes exactly.

Nah, well each boss will have a strategy to them, some will have "phases". I'm sure you know what a phase is, where they start to do something new inplace of or on top of their original actions to make the battle difficult as it progresses. Some bosses will have atmosphere challenges, one boss actually has wind that can blow you off the edge if you happen to step in the correct area, plus the boss will knock you back so you need to be careful. Where as some bosses will have phases that have strategies.
The first boss will actually become invulnerable until you destroy the appropriate statue to break his soul transfer to the statue and himself rendering him invulnerable until you break the stone, thus a rinse and repeat fight. However, there is more to the boss fight after you initially kill them, I will leave this a secret, I don't wanna spoil the whole game, but each boss will have the same "final" phase due to story progression. But each initial fight will be different and fun.

Hello Everyone,
Currently we are close to having some more tilesets done, once i get some in, i'll pop some new screenshots up for everyone, and as soon as our HUD and battle system are finished being created and editted I will be testing with that for a bit. I do however have some, spur of the moment news.

I recently worked on creating Luna Productions Main Website, It will show any current games we have under our wings, and our partners, each game or other activity, such as breeze revolution, will have their own special sponsors or affiliates depending on if helped with or seen on certain affiliated sites. Kailis is our main focus at the moment, but I did feel I should inform everyone incase they were wondering what else we did.

The main site is at www.rpgrevolution.com/kailis/lunaproductions
The kailis website is still the same, www.rpgrevolution.com/kailis

Enjoy everyone, and hope for some new screenshots in the future.

P.S. For those who have slow load times, i'm currently trying to make as many "nontransparent" pictures into .jpg for you and slimming the amount of pictures that we use so that you will get faster load times, please bare with us while we are fixing this, we are well aware :)

~Axerax

Hello All,
Okay, here is a list of new changes.

Depending on where you view this Whether it be for Kailis's topic or Breeze Revolution here is an explanation of the changes.
We just changed an FTP account for our websites.
Kailis is now under... www.rpgrevolution.com/lunaproductions/kailis
Breeze Revolutions is now under... www.rpgrevolution.com/lunaproductions/br
www.rpgrevolution.com/lunaproductions is our main site, kailis and multiple other stuff hosted by Luna Productions are now on their own pages as either one of our games or other activities.

We will eventually get a sub domain, however until then, it will be under this.
~Axerax

Whoa! :shock:
I played the demo and this game is N-I-C-E!
At first I thought you were some jerk who liked to knock peoples titles, but you didn't mean that at all.
But to get on with it (so to speak):
This game is very original and well planned out, almost seems like a professional game.
Dailogue is very nice; it's pretty refreshing to see that amount of dialogue in a game; now I have to step mine up!
But this does seem to be progressing to be a wonderful project; almost on a pro level. :thumb:

~Mdavis901 :shades:

mdavis901":vrnbnwsj said:
Whoa! :shock:
I played the demo and this game is N-I-C-E!
At first I thought you were some jerk who liked to knock peoples titles, but you didn't mean that at all.
But to get on with it (so to speak):
This game is very original and well planned out, almost seems like a professional game.
Dailogue is very nice; it's pretty refreshing to see that amount of dialogue in a game; now I have to step mine up!
But this does seem to be progressing to be a wonderful project; almost on a pro level. :thumb:

~Mdavis901 :shades:

Thank you, we don't get to many comments often any more. Not quite sure why really.

Hehe, I used to in the past leave only short sweet and down to the point positive posts, but the last few years I started cracking down with some tough love critique. My comment was irrational of me to make in the first place and a very brash claim. So I apologize again.

Four years of written planning, drawing, and plotting to be exact. Two years after that were actual development of that demo you played, as laggy and buggy as it is. (I don't plan on fixing that demo any more since we will be releasing a newer one once all resources are ready.) The last year and up till now we have been working on revamping the game graphics and story refining better. That way the flow of story and gameplay flow equally together instead of a more story heavy game you saw with the demo, it will be much more spread out and less overbearing on the player.

Thanks again for the comment, I hope you will try the new demo whenever we get it out, closer to time I will release a date, until then you can rummage out forums for the game and our website for updates.
~Axerax

Minor Update -
This is a screenshot of the way we display our new title screen.
http://www.rpgrevolution.com/lunaproduc ... title2.PNG[/img]

As you can see there are a few mapping errors, those have been fixed, as well we are using that RTP luna sprite as a place holder. It is revamped from our previous version which was not up to par of what we were expecting when we created episode 1. For further information and a deeper understanding of why we change the title please click here, to visit our forums that host more in-depth updates and information regarding Kailis.

Also I updated the topic post on the first page with new content and cleaned it up a bit. Feel free to view it if you wish.
~Axerax

Edit: Fixed broken links.

Muse

Y'know, I would've left a comment much sooner had I known that this was in the 'Completed Games.' =d

Anyway, I'll have to try out the demo as soon as I spring clean my poor old comp. I like lots of dialogue, so that won't be a problem at all! The only problem I imagine I might have with playing it is...Is it ABS? (Wait...I think I already asked that...*fails* XD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.