Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Gantz- The Game of Death(all are welcome! Rated R)

This is inspired by the manga by Hiroya Oku. All are welcome to participate. In fact, the experience will be much more interesting if you aren't familiar with Gantz already because the whole thing is supposed to have a "what the hell is going on?" feeling to it that is completely ruined by knowing everything ahead of time. I'll give some basic rules to character creation at the bottom. Please give this a shot. It could be a lot of fun.

All who wish to participate must make an intro post and character sheet by July 10.

MISSION #1 HAS BEGUN

(Rated R)

Before the world was created,
the word already existed.
The word was the source of all life,
and this life brought light to mankind.
The light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness has never put it out.

Somewhere in Tokyo, there is a room. This room looks like any ordinary apartment room. From the windows, the Tokyo Tower can be seen. This room is empty, except for a large, black ball in the center. The black ball is about four feet tall. It is metallic feeling, perfectly round and smooth, and cold to the touch. There are two doors in the room, but if anyone tries to touch them they will find that an invisible force surrounds the doors so that they cannot touch it. Phones, radios, computers and weapons do not function in this room.

This is a room full of dead people. When people die, a select few are brought to this room. No matter how serious their condition was when they died, they are brought here in perfect health. Any inperfections they had are healed. The black ball has called them. Nobody knows what it is, or where it came from, but it decides who lives and who dies. It's name is...

Gantz

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _group.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG4OmPjuyMw&search=gantz%20opening
(Gantz anime OP)

The utter silence was interupted by a low buzzing sound. A tiny beam of visible red light sprang from the black ball, like a pen laser beam. From that beam, a person began to appear bit by bit in the room, as if being "faxed" in. The person's insides were visible from above as the light continued to move about and give him shape. It soon became obvious that the person was a boy. He looked to be in his mid teens. His white shirt was dirty and torn all over, and his blue jeans were equally tattered. Peeking out from his shirt colar was what seemed to be the neck of a skintight black suit. Surrounding the strange black material were multiple white "caps". He had wild black hair and purple eyes. His name was Haru Matsumoto.

He was only surprised by the sudden change of scenery for a moment. He quickly came to realize what was going on. Gantz had summoned him again. Soon others would be brought to this room in the same way he had just appeared. Most of them wouldn't believe what was happening. They wouldn't listen to his warnings, and they would die. This time for real. Those who did listen to him wouldn't be much better off. These missions were brutal. Perhaps when Gantz returned them to this room at the end, he would be the first and only to leave. Just like last time.

The buzzing sound filled the air again, and the red light shot out from the ball again as more people slowly appeared around Haru.

I would like at least three people before we begin. Begin what, you ask? You'll have to play to find out. You may control one character, and are free to make him any age, gender, and occupation you want. Your character may come from any real world location, but keep in mind that the room is in Japan and that is where they will be when they leave the room. They must be human. No elves, orcs, aliens, demons, etc. Gantz takes place in the early 2000s, and so does this rpg. Have a basic backstory for your character, and make sure their name and a relitively detailed description of their appearence is in your first post.

Your character has just died. Your manner of death may be anything you want, from murder to accident to suicide. You must mention your death somewhere in your first post. In fact, it would be a good idea to open your post with your character dying, then move to appearing in the room. Haru is the only person who has been to this room before, but your allowed to speculate whatever you want about whats going on. Try to act surprised at least. After all, you've gone from dying to suddenly feeling perfectly fine and in perfect health in a japanese apartment with a black ball and a bunch of strangers. You appear in the room via that laser coming from the ball, just like Haru did.

UPDATE

I totally forgot about posting a sheet for my character lol. Here it is. (Your sheet doesn't have to look like this. Just make sure to include at least this basic info)

Name: Haru Matsumoto

Appearence: Wild black hair(like in my avatar), purple eyes. He dresses in a very worn out white shirt and jeans.

Personality: Quiet and highly intelligent. He is determined to survive at any cost, and would sacrifice others without a second thought if it would increase his chances. He is deadly when backed into a corner.

Background: Haru is one of the stronger people to come to Gantz's room. He was always at the top of his class both academically and athletically. His family never had to worry about money, because his father had a well paying job in the military. He is a veteran of many missions, has mastered using the suit to maximum effect, and is very skilled with the Gantz Sword.

Cause of Death: Hit by a drunk driver (He later hunted down and killed the driver)

O.O.C: Its good to see at least one person is interested in this. Don't be shy! Join up. Time to introduce some NPCs I guess.

Cars shot down the road at high speeds. Every one of them had somewhere to go. Something to do.

Suddenly a man and a woman sped into the lane, each on a red motorcycle. They screamed insults drunkenly at the other drivers as they passed. They were both young, in their early 20s maybe.The man had black hair tied in a ponytail and wore glasses. He had light blue eyes and a handsome face. The woman had long black hair and brown eyes and wore a lot of makeup. They were rocketing down the road at ninety miles an hour, and neither of them wore helmets.

"Fasteeeeeeeer!!! YEEEEEEEAAAAAH!!!!" screamed the man as his bike picked up even more speed. He moved into the same lane as the woman. The two of them yelled louder then ever and their driving became even more erratic. Suddenly a pair of yellow lights appeared ahead of them.

"Shit!" screamed the woman as the owner of the lights became visible. It was a gas truck. And it was coming in fast. They were driving in the wrong lane.

"Change lanes, quick!" screamed the man. They quickly switched to the other lane, only to see another set of lights coming up. It was a bus. It was driving beside the gas truck. The man, woman, and drivers had mere seconds to realize the inevitable conclusion before they collided.

The man and woman were killed instantly. They were torn to pieces, splattering the truck and bus with their blood. Their bikes were crushed on impact, and the gas caught flame. Almost immeadiately the bikes, which had slid beneath one of the trucks, exploded into an inferno of flames. The truck and bus, which was packed to capacity with passengers, followed shortly after, turning the entire road into a roaring flame.

53 people died of incineration seconds later.

Four people were transported into the room at the same time. A short, handsome young man with black hair tied in a ponytail, blue eyes and glasses appeared next to a tall young woman with long black hair and brown eyes. They were both gasping for breath and soaked in sweat. The man wore a plain black T shirt and jeans, and the woman wore a denim jacket over a blue shirt and jeans. They were completely sober now.

Farther back in the room, another person began to take shape. We was a big, very strong looking man with short black hair, blue eyes and the rough beginings of a beard on his face. He wore a dark stained white shirt and khakis, black gloves on his hands, and combat boots on his feet. He was yelling in surprise as he was beamed into the room. The yelling died away as he realized he was no longer in the driver's seat of the truck, and instead in what looked like an apartment room.

The fourth person appeared in the corner of the room. It was impossible to tell whether they were male or female, because they were wearing what looked like a gray sweat jacket and had the hood up so that their face couldn't be seen, but judging from their size they were probably in their mid teens. They appeared in the room in a sitting position with their head rested on their right hand. Because there was suddenly nothing but thin air beneath them, they fell over and onto the ground the moment they had fully formed.

Haru nodded at them. They were coming. This group had probably died near each other and of the same cause. More would probably be on the way.

O.O.C: Just to clarify something, you do not have to have died in that bus explosion. The cause of death may be anything you want it to be.

High Hopes

Awesome Bro

Name: John Reinaus
Appearance: Tan skin, Dark Hair, Dark Eyes. Wears a tan Trenchcoat, and Blue tie underneath it.
Cause of death: Killed by 16-year old son Naj Reinaus. Basically, John had a $100,000 price on his head, and Naj collected. This began Naj's Bounty Hunter/Mercenary/Hitman/Assassin career that would be continued twelve years later, but that's another story. Three gunshot wounds to the chest, followed by a gas explosion killed John.

High Hopes

Awesome Bro

John appears the same way Haru appeared.

"That fucking prick!"
John looks around, puzzled.
"Why am I alive? I had just taken three gunshots, followed by a damn gas explosion."
John sees Tokyo Tower out window.
"How the fuck did I end up in Tokyo?"

Haru glanced briefly at the newcomer. He was a man in a trench coat with dark hair and skin. He didn't look Japanese. Gantz had brought foreigners to the room before. It was rare, but it happened, and for some reason nobody had ever had problems understanding each other. Perhaps Gantz was translating for them so that they heard what was being said in their native tounges.

"Gantz has summoned us. There's no escaping once he's brought you here."

Haru sighed and turned to stare out the window.

The mission will start any minute now... I wonder what that bastard will throw at us.

A helicopter came into view in the distance, its bright lights illuminating it in the darkness of night.

I must survive... no matter what. I will get 100 points... and I'll bring you back.

The man and woman who had arrived together were trying desperately to get the door to the exit open. They couldn't quite grab the knob however. Their hands were stopped by some kind of invisible barrier surrounding the door. They couldn't even pound on it to try and get someone's attention.

"Don't bother. Nobody can hear you, or even see you for that matter, except for the people in this room. You should sit still and save your strength. You'll need it."

The man glared at him.

"Shut the hell up, you little brat! Who do you think you are telling us what to do?!"

Haru didn't reply. He turned back toward the window.

High Hopes

Awesome Bro

John tries to grab doorhandle, but fails.
John whips out MP-5K of his trenchcoat, tries to fire it door, but finds out that the MP-5K doesn't work.
He tries to grab door again, but fails. Realizing he's trapped, he stops trying.
John pounds the floor in anger.
John goes over to Haru, spins him around, and points his finger in Haru's face.
"You better give me some answers fucker. What is that black ball in the center of the room?"

At the sight of John's gun, the man and woman lunged out of the way.

"Are you fucking insane?!" screamed the woman. She and the man retreated to opposite corners of the room and only moved back out when they realized his gun wouldn't fire. John stormed over to Haru and started yelling again.

Haru's face lacked any kind of emotion whatsoever as he stared into John's face. John suddenly felt something odd. It was as if Haru's arm muscles... expanded slightly beneath his shirt. Haru reached up and grabbed John's arms and squeezed slightly. John's wrists exploded with pain. His grip was inhumanly strong. It was obvious that he could snap his bones like a twig.

"Don't pick a fight with me... It will get you killed even faster."

Haru released his grip and stepped away from John.

"A bullet from point blank range couldn't hurt me while I'm wearing this suit, even if you shot me in the face."

He looked towards the black ball.

"Gantz is what this ball calls itself. It is all powerful, and it owns you now. It is going to give you all weapons and a suit like mine, and send us on a mission... a mission most of you won't come back from. I'll explain that as soon as everyone arrives."

The strong man sat down in a corner cross legged and crossed his arms, staring at the black ball. Meanwhile, the person in the hooded jacket had their gaze fixed on the floor.

High Hopes

Awesome Bro

John Laughs.
"So basically you're saying that if 30 shards of metal went through your skull and out the back, you wouldn't die? Don't bullshit me. I'm kinda pissed off and confused right now, seeing as how I just got blown up, then got teleported to an apartment in Japan to talk to some yuppie prick wearing a supersuit about a black ball that owns me and is going to give me a mission. Now, I'm kinda wired. I'm kinda on edge. Don't elevate this situation. Just tell me what's going on. Now."

John goes over to woman.

"Insane, am I? Insane people don't own corporate empires, with many legitmate businesses."

Haru finally showed some emotion. He smiled smuggly at John from across the room.

"I was going to wait until everyone arrived, but if you insist, I'll tell you right now what's about to happen. You won't believe me anyway, so it won't make any difference. I hate repeating myself though..."

He was silent for a moment.

"In a few minutes japanese exercise music will start playing from the ball. Gantz will open up and reveal racks packed with guns, but not the kind your used to. These guns... I'll show you."

Haru reached into one of his pockets and pulled out a strange looking, black gun with two triggers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/X_gun.jpg[/IMG]

"This is the X-Gun. Your little toy gun doesn't work in here, but this gun does."

Haru pointed the gun at the wall and pulled both triggers. There was a weird Floond sound, and the four protrusions around the barrel lit up in an "X" shape. And then...

Nothing. Everybody stared at the wall where he had fired, but nothing seemed to have happened.

Suddenly the sound of a tiny explosion filled the air, and a two foot wide, one foot deep crater appeared in the wall where Haru had fired, causing everyone to jump.

"Delayed fire. Took me awhile to figure out how it actually works. It works by firing microscopic machines into the target, then exploding them. It packs a much greater punch on living things. There's also an X-ray monitor on the back to get a look at your target's insides. Oh, and don't bother trying to blast yourself free with one. Gantz just repairs the wall eventually. The suit protects you from this gun... mostly. This is only one of three guns on the racks. There's a sniper rifle version of this gun, and a gun for "sending" your enemies"

"Anyway, Gantz is going to send us back into the city to kill aliens with these things. We have an hour to do it, and if we go outside the boundry he sets for us, our heads explode because of a tiny bomb he put in everyone's brains as he teleported us here. None of the people we might meet out there will be able to see us, but they can still be killed if an alien runs into them or one of us shoots them. After the mission ends, either from running out of time or killing all the aliens, we will be returned to the room and we'll be graded on our performance and given points. And Gantz will give us all a stupid nickname. Did I mention Gantz speaks in Leet?"

There was complete silence for about twenty seconds. Then the man next to the woman spoke.

"You are seriously fucked up in the head, dude..."

High Hopes

Awesome Bro

"I know it's knifing myself in the back, but I believe you. "
John begins pacing back and fourth, wondering.
"This sounds like it would be fun. I'l always up for a gunfight. Because, as I always say, there's nothing like the rush of hunting people down and killing them."

John takes out keys and gouges expletives in the wall, showing trust and friendship.

"When and why does this happen? And I take it my Cellphone doens't work?"

John takes out a bit of cocaine out of his Trenchcoat and takes a sniff.

He believes me, huh? I wasn't expecting that...

"It should begin momentarily. People are showing up slower, so he's probably almost done bringing them. As for why, I have absolutely no idea. I don't know where the aliens or Gantz come from, why they are here, why Gantz has this power, or why he makes us fight. Maybe he just thinks its fun. Most of the people who participate end up dead pretty quickly, and if they die in a mission its permanent. I've been part of all this for about a year and a half. Gantz can call you back at any time, no matter where you go. You have to win your freedom back by doing well in the missions."

Someone began materializing into the room from the ball again. They were lying on their back. After a moment a girl in a hospital gown had arrived in the room. She looked about seventeen or eighteen and had long black hair and green eyes. She stared up at the ceiling. After about a minute she tried to sit up, and to her amazement found that she could. She felt as strong as ever. She was cured! She got to her feet. A nametag on the gown read "Sarah".

"Where am I?" She asked as she looked around at all the strange faces. Then her eyes fell on the black ball.

O.O.C: The mission will begin in two days. If you wish to participate please have your character enter the room as soon as possible. Also, the first post has been updated with a picture of the room and the Gantz anime intro sequence.

High Hopes

Awesome Bro

"Where are you? You're in Japan. Apparently, this ball summoned us here to fight aliens. "

John takes out his guns, removes the clips, and puts them back into his trenchcoat, then takes a bit of crack out of his trenchcoat, and offers it to Haru.
"Want some? It's some of the best stuff you can get. Pure as the driven snow."

"No thanks. Tried it before. It's not all that great."

Gantz is taking his sweet time... I want to get out there and get this over with. The alien had better be a strong one this time.

He stared out the window, his gaze fixed on one particular building just barely visible in the darkness.

O.O.C: We will be starting tommorow hopefully. I'm hoping Lene is still going to participate.

Name: Senkei Seidu

Occupation: None, claims to be Saviour of this world has been under employ from the UK Government

Appearence: He has mid-tone brown skin, he has long flowing blue hair of this tone, he has Eyes of the same colour as his hair. He is wearing a Black jacket that has long sleeves down to his hands, he is wearing slightly baggy black trousers, he is also wearing (yes, you guessed right) black shoes, loafers. He has a grey cloak around his neck that goes down to his knees, he also has a white gold braclet on his wrist that has the word "Truth" engraved into it.

Background: His mother is Japanes and his father is Nigerian, they met in London at Greenwich University and were married after being together for three years. Five years after this they had a Son but when he was in his mothers womb an annomaly was reported in the child. He had a strange phenomenom, a small device in his brain that could tune into the frequency of impulses in the human brain. Basically he can read minds. This was discovered when he was at the age of 5, originally he could not understand why he was hearing these things but he soon realised what it was, but due to this at a young age he realised the cruelty of the world and at the age of 12 he as officialy named as insane and was removed to a mental asylum. There he royally fucked up there heads, by projecting images into there heads. It was not long before the government found out about this and had him moved to an unameable location, where he worked for the Government and was sent on lone missions to other countries to gather inteligence. His parents did not find out the fate of their child until they came to visit him in the asylum and found that he had been taken by an unknown person.

Personality: He is very closed off from everyone believing to know all the secrets of the world he confides in no-one and has no feelings. He loves no-one not even his parents after learning of the distrust and unfaithfullness he did not trust them or anyone else. He belives that he is the only-one who can cleanse the earth and bring "truth" hence the bracelet.

Cause of Death: He was sold out by the Government who thought that as he had this knowledge and was mentally unstable they didn't trust him so after he returned from his last mission he was murdered

O.O.C didn't have time so will do now

Senkei slowly looks around the room. He meets nobodies eyes. Then,

"You your name is John, you were killed in an gas explosion"

"You your name is Haru you were killed by-by..."

Senkei lets out a howl, grabbing his head. Everyone in the room steps back staring at him.
Then to everyones shock they see that his eyes are changing colour to a pale white. Then,

"NO, I WON'T DO IT!! GET AWAY FROM ME!"

He get's up and makes a dash towards Guntz!

High Hopes

Awesome Bro

"This is the quality stuff, Haru. Among the best you can get. Oh well, your loss."
John puts it away. He notices Senkei appear in the room.

"Well, we have another person joining us. Who are you, how did you die, and why is your hair blue?"

O.O.C (To RoaringSasuke): Looks good. The mind reading thing is similar to the mental powers two guys from the manga had, so it fits in the universe. Please edit your character sheet post with an intro post when you get the chance.

O.O.C: I will begin the mission tonight hopefully. I'm waiting for lene to give me some kind of response.

High Hopes

Awesome Bro

John clubs Senkei in the stomach as he's running.
John stands up Senkei.

"Who are you, how did you die, and why the hell is your hair blue?"

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.