Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Event Trivia - Regi is the winner

Zeriab

Sponsor

Hello there and welcome to Event Trivia.

Signups are now [CLOSED] and the trivia has [ENDED]
I thank the 13 participants for joining up in my event.
I congratulate Regi for winning the trivia. I have left the rules in tact for newcomers wanting to see how such a trivia works.

I order to spout some activity into this forum I am doing an Event Trivia again. (I did one 3 years ago)
It is a point based forum game where the participants with the least amount of points at each round will be removed.
The rules might vary a bit with two organizer instead of one.
My goal with this topic is to spread knowledge about events in a fun and challenging way.
My events will be from RPG Maker XP. Most of these will be easy to implement in another version.
There might be a few which cannot be implemented in the same way on other versions.
I will not check the validity of the events on other versions.

To illustrate the heart of the questions there is hardly anything better than an example:
Example":2yyktqw9 said:
A standard event has the event commands
Example.gif

You don't have to consider how it is triggered.
What does this event do?
Assuming Switch 1 is on: What is the output of the event?
How many outcomes does this event have?

Answer the questions separately.
3 points
You don't have to answer the the questions, it's just to give you a feel.
The example does not show the general level of difficulty.

========================

Contestants
Scoring
1st 20.9 points - Regi ~ Winner!
2nd 12.4 points - Glitchfinder
3rd 9.0 points - theory
4th -8.5 points - LegacyX
5th -9.4 points - becoolioman

Disqualified (Boo)
-10 points - Rayne
-10 points - LooseEnds
-10 points - Mr_Smith
-10 points - The Panda
-10 points - QuantumMindGames

Had to leave
Lionel
ShadowMainZERO
Ulqiorra

Rules
Be sure to answer the events within 72 hours starting from the time the events are posted.
Be also sure to read the rules, and remember to PM me (Zeriab) with your answer.
If you have questions post them instead in the Event Trivia.
Posting your answer in the topic itself will lead to disqualification.

When you give an answer you are awarded a number of points as given in the problem.
For every detail you miss you loose a point.
If you don't provide an answer then get the lowest score possible.

Let's say you have a 3 points problem, miss one detail and part of another, then you are awarded 1.5 points.
If you miss four details then you are awarded -1 points. In other words you loose 1 point.
If you don't answer at all you get -3.
Note that you will always loose more points by not answering than giving a completely faulty answer.
Note that you can increase your score by exceptional answers although never above the max. (The max of a 3 points problem is 3 points).

Tip: Read the whole event and do what is requested.

I thank you for the great criticisms. I must admit that I really should be more thorough in my explanations. That's a remnant from a time when I would go on and on, and had to teach myself to cut it down for people who weren't necessarily interested. As to the point values, I have a question. Where is the final point value coming from? I see that, with the points I was given, and the negative starting points, it appears as though I should have lost points this round, not gained them. Also, good job to Regi. He's been in the lead the whole time, and he certainly appears to deserve it. I think this is the only time I seem to have earned more points than him.

Zeriab

Sponsor

I will continue ^_^
Expect the next problem to come out sunday or monday (depending on how wasted I'll be)

@Glitch:
I am glad you like my criticism ^_^
You should definitely add as much content as possible. You shouldn't write more if you don't add any content though.
Being methodical in your explanation is a good idea. It is the contents and not the quantity that matters.
I know it is difficult to get the abstraction level right.
Remember this: You may understand how it works perfectly, but if you don't write it down you won't get any points for it.

The point value is simple math. I just believe you have forgotten a rule:
Zeriab":3malq76z said:
Problem 5
6points
-3 points on no reply
A special rule of this problem is that you all start with a 2 point deduction.

Zeriab":3malq76z said:
Scoring
Special rule: 2 point deduction
Empty else branches: 1 point deduction
Binary tree also considered: 0.5 point bonus
Page based solution: 1 point bonus
Lack of discussion: 1.5 point deduction
Binary tree discussion in question 2: 0.1 point bonus(sum)

6 - 2 - 1 + 0.5 + 1 - 1.5 + 0.1 = ??
:P

*hugs*
- Zeriab

I'm curious, what was Glitchfinder's magical solution?
Sorry for not sending an answer. The only solution I came up with was the <50, <25 etc, so I thought I'm doing it the hard way again. I used 4 pages and ABCD self-switches, each page only had 25 results. Still, It was so messy I wouldn't call it an improvement :P

regi

Sponsor

I see, I probably could have explained that question more in my response. Grats to Glitchfinder for beating me this round ;)

These trivia questions are getting pretty interesting. Although it'd be nice if you could start updating the subject again (x problem on x page), so it's easier to tell when new questions/solutions arrive.

silver wind":3vp8641c said:
I'm curious, what was Glitchfinder's magical solution?
Sorry for not sending an answer. The only solution I came up with was the <50, <25 etc, so I thought I'm doing it the hard way again. I used 4 pages and ABCD self-switches, each page only had 25 results. Still, It was so messy I wouldn't call it an improvement :P

Ah. I just didn't know what it was called. Go here for a diagram of what a binary branching structure looks like. Basically, in our example, you start with a variable with a value from 1 to 100. You then make a conditional branch that checks if that variable is equal to 50 or less. If it is, you check to see if it is equal to 25 or less. (And, if it isn't, you check to see if it is equal to 75 or less) You then repeat, using a value as close to halfway between the minimum and the maximum of the range that it was put into. So, if the value was equal to 1, it should go through a series of checks like this:

Code:
if variable <= 50

if variable <= 25

if variable <= 12

if variable <= 6

if variable <= 3

if variable <= 2

if variable == 1

# do something

end

end

end

end

end

end

end

Each end statement would actually be preceded by an else statement, which will catch all other possibilities in that specific range, and check until it finds the exact value and gives an output. For example, if the binary branching structure had a range of 1 to 10, it would look something like this:

Code:
if variable <= 5

if variable <= 3

if variable <= 2

if variable == 1

# Output result 1

else

# Output result 2

end

else

# Output result 3

end

else

if variable == 4

# Output result 4

else

# Output result 5

end

end

else

if variable <= 8

if variable <= 7

if variable == 6

# Output result 6

else

# Output result 7

end

else

# Output result 8

end

else

if variable == 9

# Output result 9

else

# Output result 10

end

end

end

Zeriab

Sponsor

@silver wind:
Glitchfinder's solution wasn't magical or anything.
It was a bit like the one I showed:

I was just branched completely out like a binary tree.
Considering how little is gained from the last layers compared to extra time need for making the event, the increased size and the increased likelihood of errors I would say they are hardly worth it. It's an issue of finding a balance between speed and convenience. (Let's not forget to mention that making it as a binary tree can in certain situations be a slower solution than not branching since the minimum number of checks increases)
You don't have send an answer in since you are not a participant, so no need for saying sorry ^_^
The solution I think you would be using would most likely require some overhead due to the page changes.

@Regi:
Now both theory and glitch have gotten more points at one time than you. Do you feel threatened?
I am glad you like my questions and I do hope you also learn something from them ^_^
I intend to keep the title up to date. Please do prod me if I forget it again.

@glitch:
I didn't see your post before I made the long reply to silver wind.
On the bright side, now there are two explanations to look at :D

@theory:
You'll get your satisfaction >:3

I think I will sleep and look at the problem again tomorrow so I can go over it a final time with fresh eyes.
I wouldn't want a repeat of the issues with last problem.

*hugs*

Zeriab

Sponsor

Problem 6
5points
-2 points on no reply
A special rule of this problem is that you all start with a 2 point deduction.

This problem has main focus on the Force Action event command.
There are two common events where Common Event looks like this:
SixthEvent.png

Common Event 2 is the same except that it executes now instead of executing in Normal Sequence.
Briefly explain what the two events do. (No exceptional scenarios in this step)
In which situations does it have an actual effect?

For each of those situations:
Describe a scenario which could trigger the situation.
Describe the effect of the event execution, both the obvious part and possible side-effects. (Remember, from the eventer's point of view)
If there are any dangers to be aware of, describe them and explain how they can be a danger.

I know this is fairly big, so I am given you an extra day.
You have 96 hours (4 days) from the time of this post.

Note that you can request a deadline extension if it happens within 24 hours from the time of this post.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

I'm sorry, but I really haven't had enough time to think this one through. Combine that with the complexity of the problem, and you end up with either a very bad solution, or none at all. So, in this case, I've decided to avoid embarrassing myself with poorly thought-out answers, and omit entering this round. I'm sorry if that's a disappointment, but I guess that's what's got to happen. Good luck to the rest of the contestants!

I'm going to have to agree. I know its probably too late to request an extension - it's not that I don't want the challenge, I do. Its just the last 4 days have been hell for me between work and setting up a 4th of July event that goes down tonight. If you can give us until tommorow I can have my entry in. If not, I accept the deduction (again.)

Zeriab

Sponsor

It's only Regi who have sent an answer :(
Tell you what, I am going to grant a deadline extension, but it comes with a catch due to the lateness of the request.
The new deadline will be 72 hours (3 days) from the time of this post.
For submissions sent within the first 24 hours 1 point will be deducted.
For submissions sent 24-48 hours after this post 2 points will be deducted.
For submissions sent later, 3 points will be deducted.

Don't disappoint me again :(

regi

Sponsor

Although I'm a little disappointed too about waiting 3 more days, I understand their point (being 4th of July and all; I myself had to do it two days before the deadline, because I was out all day yesterday). But hopefully they can get it in soon.

Zeriab

Sponsor

I know. The 4th of July was the reason why I allowed deadline extension requests within 24 hours. It's a general planning issue.
If you had request in time then I wouldn't have deducted points.
In general asking for a deadline extension quickly have smaller consequences than asking for an extension right before the deadline.
In essence, what I am most disappointed with is your lack of planning. (Not Regi, who did well on this aspect :3)

To be fair to you Regi, you are free to submit a revised version to replace your current submission. If you do, note that points will be deducted accordingly to rules in my previous post.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

So, are we going to get an update on the results any time soon? I'm just anxious to see how we all did. Based on a comparison between theory and my entries, I think that we both missed at least two points of interest. I'd like to see just how soundly Regi defeated us for this round.

regi

Sponsor

Haha, I'm not sure about that. I'm least familiar with the default battle system commands, as I barely touched them before (and never do, now that I'm working on an ABS). But we'll see :)

C'mon, Zeriab, let's finish this. Only one more problem to go!

Zeriab

Sponsor

I apologize for the lateness and hope you can forgive me :down:

Problem 6 results
In a post on page 2 I mentioned all the possible ways a common event with None as trigger could be executed.

Since the force action only has an actual effect in battle you only need to consider these situations:
  • Skill in battle
  • Item in battle (Enemies cannot use items)
  • Battle Event turn 1+ ~ No effect on turn 0

The common event could of course be called from another common event, but the starting event will not be a common event.
The important thing to notice with Force Action is that it replaces the current action. You can remove the action of a player by forcing the actor to Do Nothing.
It's also important to note that the normal order Force Action will not grant another attack while the Execute Now version will grant an extra attack if the original attack has been made.

If does not Actor No.1 exists (e.g. dead or not present) then the Force Action commands will not have any effect.

Btw. what happens if Actor No.1 defends and Actor No.2 uses a skill which triggers that common event? (either Execute Now or Normal Sequence)
If a monster Actor No.1 what happens to the damage? What are the possible outcomes?
Have any of you considered this situation or explained the side-effects so it's easy to derive the outcomes?
I can tell you that if Actor No.1 defends and Actor No.2 uses a skill or item which triggers CE1 after Actor No.1 defends then Actor No.1 will not attack, but neither defend against attacks happening after CE1 is triggered. Actor No.1 will defend against attacks happening before CE1 is triggered.
Good to know? Hell yeah!

Remember the special rule of all entries having 2 points deducted.
Remember also that the dead-line was extended, but using the extension means point deduction.
For each submissions I will provide provide feedback and then the scoring.

Submissions
Glitchfinder":2aav57sp said:
All right. First off, thanks for the extension. It really helped, and now I certainly have time to do this. Anyway, on to the problem.

Both of these commands will cause the specified actor (actor 1, or Aluxes by default) to attack a random enemy. The first will cause the actor to attack when he normally would, but, instead of using whatever attack you specified on the enemy you chose, he would use a standard melee attack on a random enemy. The second of the two will cause him to do the same, and will cancel his original attack, if it has not already occurred. If he has already used the attack or skill you specified, he will still attack, if it is in the appropriate phase of battle. (e.g. not selecting to attack or run, or selecting any attacks/skills to use, and which enemies to use them on)

These events will only have an effect in a battle. The first one can be called at any point in the battle, and the next time the actor attacks, he will melee a random enemy instead of doing what he was told. (Assuming that the attack occurs within the same turn in battle. Otherwise, it has no effect) The second one will only have an effect if it is called while attacks are currently in progress, and the menus are not up for use.

Although I've already mentioned possible triggers, I guess I'll go over them again, in more detail. The first one, that triggers in normal normal sequence, can be called several ways. First, it will trigger if called by any in-battle event, such as one that checks turn count, enemy HP, actor HP, or a switch. If the actor has not already attacked, used a skill, or defended, he will use a melee attack on a random enemy. The common event can also be called from an item or skill. If that item or skill was used or performed by actor 1, then the event will do nothing. If the item or skill was used or performed by another actor, and that actor moved before Actor 1, then the event will trigger. If the other actor did not move before actor 1, then it will not do anything.

The second of the two, which triggers immediately, will have a slightly different effect. If called by anything at a point when the player in question cannot attack immediately, it does nothing. That means that the battle events activated by turn count will do nothing, and the same goes for battle events activated by a switch, if the switch is flipped outside of the attack phase. If the event is called when the actor in question is able to attack, and has not yet attacked, it will execute and replace his attack. And, if called while the actor is able to attack, and has already attacked, he will attack once again, despite the fact he has already used his turn. Effectively, this allows him two turns if an item or skill he uses calls the event. It will also force an attack if another player uses an item or skill to activate the event. Finally, it will force an attack if a battle event triggers based on the HP of an actor or enemy,, even if it was leeched by a status effect.

All right. The fourth question, like the third, seems to be a repeat of another question. Anyway The effects are pretty simple. The first one will automatically cause actor 1 to attack a random enemy with a melee attack, instead of doing as specified, providing he has not already attacked that turn, and the actor has a chance to attack that turn. This will wrest control from the player, acting as a way to set up an AI for an actor, but potentially damaging the game experience by giving the player the chance to select and attack and then doing something different. Finally, if this event is called when the player has already performed their attack for the turn, it will do nothing, making the call pointless.

The second event is a bit trickier. It will only activate while the actor is able to attack, and will do one of two things. It will either wrest control from the player, performing an attack that is not what the player wanted, or, it will give the player a second, free attack. The first can potentially damage the game experience, but the extra attack could potentially damage the game balance, allowing the player to defeat enemies much more easily than they should. If this one is called while the actor is unable to attack, it will not do anything, thus making the call a pointless waste of time.

Finally, the final question. This question is where I'm least sure of my answer, but, here goes. First, these event commands are potentially dangerous in the fact that they may wrest control of an actor from the player, potentially damaging the game experience and forcing the player to stop. Second, the event that activates immediately may damage the game balance by giving a player extra attacks, potentially making it too easy to defeat difficult enemies. Finally, both of these events may not have any effect, depending on exactly when they are called, leading to a waste of time and resources.

Anyway, thanks for extending the deadline, thanks for reading this, and I hope you have a good time.
Feedback
I will assume that you have maintained consistency so that
First one = Execute in Normal Sequence
Second one = Execute Now
It would have been clearer if you have marked the common events as CE1 and CE2 or something similar and then used those abbreviations when talking about the common events.

You have broken your reply into 7 paragraphs. I will comment each individually.
Paragraph 1:
Your description of CE1 is inconsistent with your description of CE2. This is a problem since it's unclear whether this paragraph is just badly phrased or you have not understood the events properly.
CE2 will do the same as CE1 (replacing the current action with attack) and cancel the original? You are in other words implying if CE2 is triggered before Actor 1 has used his action then Actor 1 will attack instead, not immediately, but when its his turn.
Take a look at Regi's reply to the first question and then look at your answer. I am sure you'll see what I mean.
I am not totally sure that you are wrong, so I'll give you the benefit of doubt.

Paragraph 2:
Turn 0 has no effect.
Both events can be called at precisely the same time in battle. Not that you are stating otherwise since you are talking about when the second one have an effect.
Do you see how the inconsistency with talking about when CE1 can be called and when CE2 has an actual effect is misleading? My first thought was that you was wrongly stating that CE1 has an actual effect where CE2 has not? (It was my second and third thought as well)

Paragraph 3:
You misunderstood my question.
The previous question was indeed about which triggers there could be. Or rather which interesting triggers there could be.
When I tell you to describe a scenario I mean not just the common event but the entire setting. What now if Actor 1 used a Double Attack skill which triggers a common event which triggers CE1 twice? CE2 twice? You basically have to put it into context. So it's not about adding more detail.
You have included what could be considered as scenarios, so there will no point deduction on that account ^^

Paragraph 4:
You are wrong about when CE2 has an effect. It works perfectly fine battle events that are for example activated by turn count. At least if CE1 also has an effect. (If the Actor is dead it's a different matter)
It's not clear what you mean by 'the player can't attack immediately'. Do you mean that the player is dead? Or do you mean something else as well? Is it different from CE1?
I'll let you have the benefit of doubt.

Paragraph 5+6:
Question 3 is what happens up to the triggering and the environment.
Question 4 is how the environment is altered. Question 2 is only about the triggering.
You do not mention the defending issue. (Which should be either here or paragraph 7 or in both)

Paragraph 7:
This is a nice paragraph and I quite agree. The best part of your submission.

All in all your submission seems hasty :sad:

Scoring
Lateness: 2 point deduction
Turn 0: 1 point deduction
When CE2 has an effect: 0.5 point deduction
Stop defending: 0.5 point deduction
Nice question 5 answer: +0.5 point bonus
Inconsistency / Being unclear: 0.5 point deduction

This grants you -1.0 points.

Regi":2aav57sp said:
Briefly explain what the two events do.
The "Force Action" in the normal sequence causes Actor #1 to attack a random target when it is his turn to attack (it will override the command the player chooses).
The "Force Action" that "executes now" makes Actor #1 attack a random target immediately after the command is executed (also overriding the regular command, unless it was already executed).

This common event will only work during battle. If executed in the normal sequence, it will only work if the actor has not had his turn yet. (If executed now, this doesn't apply.) Also, the actor cannot be in the state "Knockout", "Stun", "Sleep", or "Paralyze" for both events to work.

The common event with "execute in normal sequence" can be triggered in the Troops event page, for example each turn when Actor #1 is under 10% HP.

Describe the effect of the event execution, both the obvious part and possible side-effects.
This execution would make Actor #1 attack a random target every turn when he normally would act, when his HP is under 10%.
Possible side-effects would include: overriding the player's command input at the beginning of each turn (if the player wanted him to defend, he would still attack); and having no effect if the actor is inflicted with one of the states mentioned earlier.

If there are any dangers to be aware of, describe them and explain how they can be a danger.
One danger would be if an event was called with Force Action that made the actor do something else immediately, BEFORE this common event is executed. If this were to happen, the Force Action in this common event would be ignored.
Feedback
Your answer to the first question is exactly what I was looking for.
For your second question you are missing that they have no effect on Turn 0.
The actor definitely can be in those states except Knockout. The actor must have hp > 0. Since Knockout is regarded as HP 0 I buy that one. The Can't move restriction is not limiting.
I think you are generalizing too much when you say there is just the in-battle situation. I would split it into two situations, one where it is triggered before the actor has his or her turn and one after. The significant difference between these two situations is my reason for the split. There is however nothing technically wrong, so no point deduction, but no bonus points either.
You did not mention the stop defending danger.

Scoring
Nice question 1 answer: +0.1 point bonus (That question doesn't count much)
Turn 0: 1 point deduction
Can't move restriction: 0.5 point deduction
Stop defending: 0.5 point deduction

This grants you 1.1 points

Theory sent in his submission too late, but I have included it if anyone want to look at it.
theory":2aav57sp said:
When you give an actor a command, it is stored to a temporary variable until this command is executed. Common event 1 modifies this variable with a different command, overriding the actor's command with this action. If you have not selected a command for this actor (for this turn) you will not normally get the option to do so.
Common event 2 works in a similar way, but instead of storing the new command for use later, attempts to force the action now if the actors are able to perform the action at the time this common event is called.

Either of these events can only be used in battle. You cannot call the events as the battle is starting, because force action won't work if the number of turns is still zero. Not sure why, but that's how it works (doesn't work? lol).

The common event can be called a variety of ways, from the troop events list in the database, or attached to an item or skill.

If there are any dangers to be aware of, describe them and explain how they can be a danger:
As previously mentioned, you cannot call Force Action before a turn has been taken. In addition, the event doesn't check if an actor knows a skill or not. While this can be useful in many cases, if you are trying to use a skill the actor knows, you will have to do your own conditional work.

I know I've missed something here, but I don't know what it is. Hopefully I'll survive long enough to make it up in the next round.

Scoring
1. 20.9 points - Regi
2. 12.4 points - Glitchfinder
3. 9.0 points - theory
4. -8.5 points - LegacyX
5. -9.4 points - becoolioman

*hugs*
- Zeriab

P.s. I will close the trivia since I am afraid I have lost my motivation and because Regi is so much in lead. (I wouldn't have done it otherwise)

Zeriab

Sponsor

REGI IS THE WINNER
Regi wins by a landslide with 20.9 points over the closest competitor with 12.4 point.
Give a hand for Glitchfinder for making 2nd place and theory for making 3rd place!

I thank all participants for their support and hope they all have learned something useful.
I thank all the supporters for providing encouragement and I hope they also found the trivia fruitful.
I hope you all had an enjoyable time.

I will leave the thread open for discussions and questions in regards to the trivia and any of the questions.

*big hugs*
- Zeriab

Well, hmm. How to put this? When I mentioned that CE2 would not do anything if the player was unable to move immediately, these are the situations I was referring to:

1. any situation where the player cannot select an attack, or would be unable to had they been in that state at the beginning of the round.

Actually, that's about all I had found. As for the inability for CE2 to have an effect on turn-based events, I was testing it, and that's what seemed to happen. I may have only tested turn 0, however.

Anyway, congrats to Regi and theory, and I hope this made us that much better with events!

regi

Sponsor

Glad this is posted and done :biggrin:

I never considered Turn 0, or especially that Defend problem. But they're nice to know about.

This was a good contest, although I'm disappointed so many people dropped out (it felt like it was just me, Glitch, and theory hanging on at the very end). It would've been much more interesting if more people tried answering.

But anyway, good job Glitch and theory, and good luck if something like this happens again.

Zeriab

Sponsor

Let's say the player has the Stun state so he cannot choose an action. The Force Action will make him attack anyway.
The deduction for when CE2 has an effect was because you said battle events based on turn had no effect, which is not true unless it's turn 0.

I am also disappointed that so many people dropped out, but happy that you three hang in there :3
I also hope you became much better with events.

theory":20gkojre said:
personally don't care if you start easy or just dive in. But please, a little more challenging than your example? ;)
Was your wish fulfilled?

*hugs*

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.