Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Event Trivia - Regi is the winner

Zeriab

Sponsor

Hello there and welcome to Event Trivia.

Signups are now [CLOSED] and the trivia has [ENDED]
I thank the 13 participants for joining up in my event.
I congratulate Regi for winning the trivia. I have left the rules in tact for newcomers wanting to see how such a trivia works.

I order to spout some activity into this forum I am doing an Event Trivia again. (I did one 3 years ago)
It is a point based forum game where the participants with the least amount of points at each round will be removed.
The rules might vary a bit with two organizer instead of one.
My goal with this topic is to spread knowledge about events in a fun and challenging way.
My events will be from RPG Maker XP. Most of these will be easy to implement in another version.
There might be a few which cannot be implemented in the same way on other versions.
I will not check the validity of the events on other versions.

To illustrate the heart of the questions there is hardly anything better than an example:
Example":2yyktqw9 said:
A standard event has the event commands
Example.gif

You don't have to consider how it is triggered.
What does this event do?
Assuming Switch 1 is on: What is the output of the event?
How many outcomes does this event have?

Answer the questions separately.
3 points
You don't have to answer the the questions, it's just to give you a feel.
The example does not show the general level of difficulty.

========================

Contestants
Scoring
1st 20.9 points - Regi ~ Winner!
2nd 12.4 points - Glitchfinder
3rd 9.0 points - theory
4th -8.5 points - LegacyX
5th -9.4 points - becoolioman

Disqualified (Boo)
-10 points - Rayne
-10 points - LooseEnds
-10 points - Mr_Smith
-10 points - The Panda
-10 points - QuantumMindGames

Had to leave
Lionel
ShadowMainZERO
Ulqiorra

Rules
Be sure to answer the events within 72 hours starting from the time the events are posted.
Be also sure to read the rules, and remember to PM me (Zeriab) with your answer.
If you have questions post them instead in the Event Trivia.
Posting your answer in the topic itself will lead to disqualification.

When you give an answer you are awarded a number of points as given in the problem.
For every detail you miss you loose a point.
If you don't provide an answer then get the lowest score possible.

Let's say you have a 3 points problem, miss one detail and part of another, then you are awarded 1.5 points.
If you miss four details then you are awarded -1 points. In other words you loose 1 point.
If you don't answer at all you get -3.
Note that you will always loose more points by not answering than giving a completely faulty answer.
Note that you can increase your score by exceptional answers although never above the max. (The max of a 3 points problem is 3 points).

Tip: Read the whole event and do what is requested.

Zeriab

Sponsor

Negative points will not result in any disqualification.
It may result in getting knocked out, but it is not something that can happen after the first round.

The difference between a disqualification and a knock out is mainly a matter of honor. It's the difference between being thrown out of the game and having to leave since you lost.

I will not reveal the rules on knock-outs just yet. I may also have other secrets. I think it's fun playing with a bit uncertainty.
I can assure you that at the begin of each problem you will know all the rules for that problem.
Rules may from problem to problem. Rules cannot change during a problem.

As a side note I have at time of this post received PMs from:
FF12_Master, Glitchfinder, Near and theory.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Zeriab

Sponsor

The example proved more useful than I had thought ^_^
I can tell you that the next problem will not be so evil.

becoolioman, Regi and ShadowMainZERO has submitted their answers so we are only missing 6 people

*hugs*
- Zeriab

And only 48 hours left.

Oh and Can you Do the examples.. like the example you did..

If i did that on my game to see wat it did...is that allowed..or is it cheating....coz i submited mine without doing it, i just geussed..lol

cant wait for the other question

Zeriab

Sponsor

Certainly. There is no rule against trying it out in the RMXP so feel free to try the problems out.
It is of course too late for this problem since you have replied, but for all future problems you are free to mess around in RMXP as much as you want.

*hugs*

Well, I'm fairly confident in my answer. Wonder how it'll turn out.

If I might ask, why is it 72 hours? I realize that 24 hours may be unfair, as some people may be out for a day, but wouldn't 48 hours be good, i mean if people wanted to participate in this, wouldn't they be here bi-daily at least?

Zeriab

Sponsor

The reason for 72 hours is simply that I won't come here tomorrow.
I might as well give 72 hours if I know I won't be able to reply with the scoring before.

Now when I think about it I like 72 hours because I feel it builds up anticipation a bit better than 48 hours.

As for how it'll turn out... Afraid you will just have to wait it out.

*hugs*

Zeriab

Sponsor

Problem 1 results
For all problems I will make a post like this with the results of the problem.
I may give my own answer to the problem or part of the problem. I may come with an explanation of one kind or another. I will usually show the submissions I have recieved and my review/scoring of them.

Problem 1 is one of the more evil problems.
testevent9kd.gif

The first question is actually not a very good question since I asked you to assume nothing other than what you are told (it's a common event) and what you can see in the event. Additionally on which abstraction level should you answer? Should you talk about manipulation of variables? Should you talk about it resetting map events?
I apologize for not making it more specific and therefore only incorrect answers will deduct points.

The second question about why it is unsafe is much better since it implies that you must consider all possible contexts the event can run in. This is also what makes it so evil.
Since it is a common event with None as its trigger it so there is no need to worry about recurrent executions. There are however a number of ways it can be called:
  • Skill in battle
  • Skill on the map
  • Item in battle
  • Item on the map
  • Battle Event
  • Common Autorun Event
  • Common Parallel Event
  • Triggered Map Event
  • Autorun Map Event
  • Parallel Map Event
Did any of you consider all these possibilities when you made your answer?
In terms of scope it can be brewed down to:
  1. Battle Event
  2. Skill/Item on map
  3. Common Autorun Event
  4. Common Parallel Event
  5. Parallel Map Event
  6. Not-parallel Map Event

The battle events are simple since transfer player event commands are ignored. They set the three variables accordingly to the map the battle was initiated from.
If there is no event with the same event id as First Event on the map the battle was initiated from then the X and Y variable are set to 0. (Note that you create several event and then delete the first event the variables will be set to 0)

In the cases 2, 3 and 6 the common event works in the same way. Variable 1 is set to the map id of the current map. Variable 2 and 3 are set to the x- and y-coordinate of the first event respectively on the current map or 0 if there is no such event. Next the player will be transfered to the second map with x = 10 and y = 10. (Note that if the map does not have any name then you can't be sure whether it actually exists or not)
The player is then transfered to the map and locations accordingly to the 3 variables. If the Map ID variable is different then a map change occurs. If Map ID = 2 then a map change does not occur. If you are trying to use the event as means to reset the map then it will not work in the case of Map ID = 2.
There is the danger of landing on an impassable tile. You cannot move from an impassable tile unless Through is ON for the player. (Note I consider landing on a tile event as the same danger)
Note that if the X and/or Y for some reason are negative or exceeds the width/length of the map the player's position will simply be wrapped around. It's much more dangerous if the Map ID variable is changed since the player can be placed at arbitrary maps and if the map does not exist an error is thrown. (This can happen if you have parallel process which modifies the Map ID variable.)

In case 4 with the common parallel event the player will be transfered to the Temp_Map like with cases 2,3 and 6. Assuming that Map ID != 2 there is a map change which restarts all common parallel processes. The is then transfered to the exact same spot, but with updated variables to reflect Temp_Map and the position of the First Event event on the Temp_Map (or 0,0). This time a map change does not occur and the player is transported to the location of the first event. (I am assuming that the parallel process will disable itself after running so there is no looping)

In case 5 with the parallel map event the player will likewise be transported to the Temp_Map with the variables set and all. Nothing more will happen.
Quite a few things that can happen, right? I know this is not an answer to the question, but an answer can be compiled from this analysis.

There is a case I haven't considered. Have you noticed it?
Battle events during a battle test since it is not initiated from a map. (Technically an empty map is created)
The 3 variables are all set to 0 in that case. Yes Map ID is 0 during a battle test.

To give you an example of where it can be used consider a dungeon where you provide the player with a rope or skill so s/he can restart each level. It is useful if you for example have boulder pushing puzzles where the player can get stuck. You just need to choose a specific event ID and make sure that on each map the event with the given id exists and is used to indicated the starting position. (You would want to fade out and in to prevent the player from showing up on the temp map)

Answers
This section will hold the submitted answers and my scoring.
I will start by saying that looping is not a danger of given event. The only possible looping condition would be a common parallel process using this event, but as describe previously this will not cause looping even though it will cause unwanted behavior.
Any looping problems is a problem of the events using the common event, not the common event itself.

I consider 3 major dangers present and not mentioning them will cause point deduction:
  • The player will get stuck if you land on an impassable tile.
  • The event not existing on the map
  • Parallel event execution

becoolioman":3c9tudmk said:
WHAT THE EVENT DOES When the common event is activated, the common event will first change variables 1, 2, and 3. Variable 1 will change according to what map ID the player is on. Variables 2 and 3 are changed according to the position of another event called First_Event on that same map. After the variables change, the player will be warped to a different map, in this case Map 2. Once warped to Map 2, the player will be tranfered again according to Variables 1, 2, and 3. Variable 1 decides what map the player is warped to next, and variables 2 and 3 decide where on that map.

DANGERS

1. Once the player the player warps to map 2, it is followed be another warp. That second warp depends on what map the player is on. Since the player is on map 2, he will automatically be warped to the same map, which is map 2, because Variable 1 depends on what map the player is on. (WOW that was confusing!)

2. Once the player is warped to the same map again, due to the explination in Danger 1, the player will keep getting warped to map 2 without pause.

3. Since the location of where the player is located on the map, controlled by variables 2 and 3, is controlled by First Event on map 1, once the player leaves Map 1, the event First Event has no contol over where you will be located and will warp the player to the last known location of First Event.

SCENARIOS

1. This common event depends on how you activate it because how you activate it can cause different effects. If it is activated through the terms I stated above, which is continual, then it will keep warping to map 2. If activated through a one time use, such as a skill or item, it will only warp the player to map 2, then back to the map the event was activated on. This last scenario will not keep repeating itself due to the fact an item or skill is a one time use. There are probably other effects but I used my last amount of brainpower I had today to answer this question, and alas, it has run out.

Dangers from 1 time use scenario

It is not true that the
1. Once the player warps back to map 1, the player will be on top of the event, First Event.

END

Note I would also like to make a suggestion that you make a condition in this competition for how the event is acivated because different effects do happen depending on how you activate it, and your rules don't care how it is activated. But you probably already know that. P

~Sorry its so long...

^_^

Danger 1 is wrong unless the event is executed from Temp_Map.
Danger 2 is wrong. 1 point deducted. The map will not loop.
Danger 3 is wrong. 1 point deducted. The X and Y variables will be set at the same time as Map ID. I am not really sure why you mean this is a danger or what actually you mean with this. If you are talking about the event not being present danger, then you are wrong about the results of that.

You missed landing on an impassable tile. 1 point deducted.
You missed the danger of the common event being called by a parallel process. 1 point deducted.

You get 0 point.
Don't be discouraged by your 0 point score. You did an excellent job and the next problem will be easier ^_^

FF12_Master":3c9tudmk said:
Ok..

Wat it does: First it transfers the player to the mapp... then it find the First Event on the map and sends you to that posisition

As for why it's unsafe: Becuase if the Event is a Character, the player will get stuck.

Thats all i ghot.. hope its right
It first find stores the location of the First Event on the current map and then sends you to the Temp_Map. It doesn't transfer before storing the location of the First Event. 1 point deducted.

Note that the player may be able to walk away from being transfered onto an event which is a character. (It's only a potential danger if the event is from the tileset)
You missed the following dangers: (1 point deduction each)

In total you receive 0 point.
Don't take it too hard. The next problem won't be as hard ^_^

Glitchfinder":3c9tudmk said:
Event 1:

Question 1: This event will save data to a set of three variables, teleport the player to another map, and then use the three variables to teleport the player to the location of an event on the starting map.

Question 2: This event can be dangerous for several reasons. First, the event may not be passable, and when the player is teleported to it, they are stuck and immobile. Second, the event may not be stationary, which will result in the player being teleported to a potentially random location on the map, and potentially into a non-passable location if the event is set to through, once again resulting in the player becoming permanently stuck. Next, if the common event is called from a map that does not have the specified event, then the player will be teleported to position (0,0) on the starting map, be teleported to a different, and potentially non-passable location on the starting map map, or be teleported out of bounds on the first map. The first result is if the event has never been called and the variables haven't been set by anything else. The second is if it has been called, the variables remained set, and the location is within the bounds of the map they are teleported to. The third case is the same as the second, with the exception that the location was outside the map's bounds.
No points deducted for question 1

The player can only get stuck when being transfered onto an event if the event is from the tileset.
You missed the case with a parallel process executing the event. 1 point deducted.

You get an excellent score of 3 points!. Well done Glitchfinder ^_^

Near":3c9tudmk said:
1: This records the player's X, Y and Map ID to three seperate variables. Next it takes the Player to a temporary map,then immediately takes the player back to the map stored in the first variable, with the X and Y also stored in seperate variables.

2: Because this transfers the player to the first event's map coordinates, causing passability problems.
No points deducted from the first question ^_^

It's correct that the player will get stuck if you land on an impassable tile or tile event.
You missed the following dangers which gives a 1 point deduction each.

You get a total of 2 points!

Regi":3c9tudmk said:
What does it do?
This common event is a method to reload the map the player is currently on by transferring to another map, then back. First, it sets 3 variables: V1 to the current map ID, V2 to the X coordinate of the first event on the map, and V3 to the Y coordinate of the first event on the map. Then it transfers the player to a new map, "Temp_Map" with ID 2, at coordinates (10,10). Finally, it transfers the player back to the map ID, X coordinate, and Y coordinate specified by the three variables (respectively).

Why is it unsafe?
There are a few problems with this method.
1. Because Common Events are stopped (or restarted, if on Autorun/Parallel Processing) when the player is transferred to a new map, this event will end after the first "Transfer Player" command. Thus, the player will be stuck on the "Temp_Map" and unable to return.

If problem #1 were resolved:

2. If the first event on the map was impassable, located on an impassable tile, or on a part separated from the rest of the passable map, the player would be transferred there and stuck.

3. If there are no map events when the Common Event is called (i.e., if the first event is erased, or if it's called through another Common Event), Variables 2 and 3 will be set to 0. As a result, the player will be transferred to the coordinates (0,0) or the top-left corner of the map. If that tile is impassable, the player would get stuck.

4. The player sprite would still show up on the "Temp_Map" for a short amount of time before transferring back to the first map, because the map draws sprites before activating events (with the exception being Parallel Processing).

It's not true that common events are restarted nor stopped when they are on Autorun trigger and you didn't get the effect of map change with a common parallel process quite right. 1 point deducted.
2 and 3 are correct and well explained.
I don't consider 4 as a danger since one may wish that to happen. There's nothing wrong with it.

You scored 3 points!
Excellent done Regi. I have high expectations for you and you lived up to them ^_^

ShadowMainZERO":3c9tudmk said:
1: It teleportd the player to a spesific location.

2:

A: It is easy to mess up your positioning.

B: It takes a bit to change positions.

C: It is a wast of time.

(Yeah, I'm not really good at variables yet so this one was a bit hard.)
I guess this problem was too hard for you. You probably won't understand my description of the problem, but it's alright.
What matters is that you tried.

It really is an inadequate explanation of what the event does, but since it's true should a parallel map event call the common event no points will be deducted.

A is in a sense true. Especially for eventers who have problems with variables.
I disagree with C and I don't understand what you mean with B.
You didn't get any of the 3 major dangers so points are deducted from these.

The inadequacy of the answer means a deduction of points as well.

You get -1 point
Keep at it though and I am sure it'll go better. Especially since the next problem will be easier ^_^

theory":3c9tudmk said:
What does it do:
It appears to store the position of the player, along with the current Map ID. It then transfers the player to a different map, after which it transfers to the stored map at the location stored in variables, in order to reset the level events.

Why is it unsafe?
Well, there are a number of reasons.
1: This was bugging me since I first looked at it. Why does a common event say [First_Event]'s anything? The player can be handled as Event 0, or the highest event ID visible in the editor + 1. The only way to specify a map-specific event in the common events is a copy/paste. Which results in "[]'s" with no name.
To sum it up, even if it were possible, why go by an event number, when there's an actual "[Player]'s Map X/Y" available for use.

2: Were this on a map, rather than a common event, it would be a lot less safe, as after a Transfer Player command is called, things past the transfer player call will most likely not process correctly. It would be much safer to split the event between the two maps. However, being a common event, you can disregard this one.

3. Restoring them to their current position on a map that's being reset would work, hypothetically. I would only call this event from a switch, or some other safe place, that you know they won't reappear locked inside another event that had previously moved. Not sure if irresponsible calling of a common event counts, but if it does, that's something that needs to be observed.

That's honestly all I see. Can't wait to see what the others found, though.
theory":3c9tudmk said:
lol well after further analysis (as in testing)...

it appears I've already lost a few points.

I honestly didn't know that apparently if you are on the map in question, the common events allow you to select a map event. So -1 there for providing an inaccurate detail.

Secondly, according to some fellow eventers, they never have the trouble I have had with getting event lines to work after transferring the player. So -1 more for that.

But regardless, if you call an event through a common event and it takes to long to process (until you're on the temp map) it will do nothing.

Not the best start. lol. Oh well.

Since I had no rule about the first response being the one which counts, your 2 comments will together be the response, with any contradictions be resolved in favor of the second response, I will grade. (Only this time)

The answer to the first question is fine, so no deduction there.

I will disregard point 1 and 2 due to your quotation. Point 3 is correct.
I don't under your argument about an event doing nothing if it takes too long to process. I won't deduct any points.
You missed the following dangers for which 1 point will be deducted each.
  • The player will get stuck if you land on an impassable tile. (This is the same as landing on an event)

You therefore get 1 point.

Scoring
1. 3 points - Glitchfinder
1. 3 points - Regi
2. 2 points - Near
3. 1 point - theory
4. 0 point - becoolioman
4. 0 point - FF12_Master
5. -1 point - ShadowMainZERO
6. -3 points - Rayne
6. -3 points - LooseEnds
6. -3 points - Mr_Smith
6. -3 points - The Panda
6. -3 points - QuantumMindGames

Note Lionel has quit

Knock-outs
If you at any time from this point have -10 points or less you are knocked out of the tournament.
Remember that being knocked out is an honorable exit (as opposed to disqualification).
If you reach -10 points or less without having given an answer to a single problem then you are disqualified instead of knocked out. There is nothing honorable in joining and then not participating.

Lessons learned
I got to take more care in expressing the questions to decrease the chance of ambiguities and misunderstandings.
The discrete grading restricted between 4 and -3 caused some unfairness. I will change to continuous grading while maintaining max & min.
The first submission pm'ed to me counts.

I will post Problem 2 in the next post which will contain the details for the changed grading scheme.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

After re-reading that... I don't quite know what I was trying to say there, either. I really should sleep more. But, got a point. So I'm happy. I'll run my tests before posting next time, now that I know it's allowed.

Amazing, never knew events can get so complicated..
Yeah I follow this contest even though I'm not participating. The questions are evil. o.o
Most problems Zeriab mentioned never crossed my mind- like being called from another common event or during battle. Hopefully this topic will help me improve my (poor) eventing skills. :)

Zeriab

Sponsor

I am glad you have learned from this trivia even though you are not participating ^_^
Originally I hadn't planned to start out so hard, but I decided to listen to theory:
theory":25jhy97y said:
But please, a little more challenging than your example? ;)
One should be careful with what one wish for :devil:

I will keep the 72 hours time frame. Just consider the current instability of the server. I was thinking about extending it, but decided to stick with 72 hours.

Point system change
I have decided to the rules from discrete point deduction to continuous point deduction and addition.
What this basically means is that I gave give you 0.7 point deduction and 0.4 point bonus instead of just 1 point deductions.
You can read the updated point system in the first post:
Point system":25jhy97y said:
When you give an answer you are awarded a number of points as given in the problem.
For every detail you miss you loose a point.
If you don't provide an answer then get the lowest score possible.

Let's say you have a 3 points problem, miss one detail and part of another, then you are awarded 1.5 points.
If you miss four details then you are awarded -1 points. In other words you loose 1 point.
If you don't answer at all you get -3.
Note that you will always loose more points by not answering than giving a completely faulty answer.
Note that you can increase your score by exceptional answers although never above the max. (The max of a 3 points problem is 3 points).

Problem 2
I told you this problem will be easier, but that doesn't mean it will be easy.
This is about a Common Event like in the last problem:
secondevent.png

4 points
Do not make any assumptions about the context.
Which of the 4 cases is possible? (I.e. which of the 4 different messages can be printed out)
For each of the cases which is possible give an scenario where the corresponding message will be printed out.

If no answer is given then you get -4 points.
You have 72 hours from the time of this post.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Zeriab

Sponsor

That's great to hear :devil:

You reply made me discover that I was wrong in saying you should not have any assumptions.
In all the problems of the trivia you should assume NO CUSTOM SCRIPTING EXCEPT WHERE EXPLICITLY STATED OTHERWISE.
I won't subtract any points or anything ^_^

On a side note remember that your first reply will be the one which counts.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Zeriab":380qs021 said:
That's great to hear :devil:

You reply made me discover that I was wrong in saying you should not have any assumptions.
In all the problems of the trivia you should assume NO CUSTOM SCRIPTING EXCEPT WHERE EXPLICITLY STATED OTHERWISE.
I won't subtract any points or anything ^_^

On a side note remember that your first reply will be the one which counts.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Trust a scripter to force you into that one. The possibility I mentioned would actually be extremely easy to pull off, and could be done several ways.

This was an interesting one. Good job. I don't expect a continuous stream of perfect answers from anyone; leave it to Zeriab to come up with a decent set of problems. I've already learned a bit about event activation. I learned quite a useful tidbit just from this problem alone- something I can actually apply in future projects.

So, thanks again for doing this, Z man. :cheers:

Zeriab

Sponsor

Your nice words warm me :3

This has been a greater success than I have anticipated. It's not only been the participants who has sent me their answers.
If you are not a participant you are free to send in your answer. I will not guarantee you an answer and you most likely have to wait until the results are posted, you are more than welcome to do it anyway.
It is nice to see that people have learned from this trivia.

I have a question for you readers: (both non-participants and participants alike)
What level do you think the problems are? (Feel free to answer in this topic.)

Problem 2 results
I debated whether I wanted to give Problem 2 or not considering that I have given a tutorial on this matter.

Problem 2 is less evil that problem 1 both because that tutorial, but also because of the analysis I gave for Problem 1.
secondevent.png

There are to basic cases with the root event being:
  1. A map event
  2. Not a map event
Refer to my tutorial if you want to learn about the common event call stack.

I'll start with 2 since its so nice and simple:
If there is not a map event in the root of the call stack then any self-switch is always OFF. It doesn't matter whether you try to turn them ON.
Therefore both self-switch A and D are OFF giving us Case 4.

For 1 the self-switch commands in the common event mess around with the self-switches for the given map event. So self-switch A is turned ON on given map event. Whether Case 1 or Case 2 happens depends on the given map event. If self-switch D is ON then it's Case 1 otherwise Case 2. the default case is Case 2.

Therefore Case 1, Case 2 and Case 4 are the possible cases while Case 3 is not possible.
Here is an example demo: http://bb.xieke.com/files/SecondEvent.rar

Answers
becoolioman":bib2khaw said:
First off this event turns on self switch A
then...

Scenario One
Output: Text displays message,"Case 1!"
How: It will display this message when self switch A and self Switch D are on.

Scenario Two
Output: Text displays message,"Case 2!"
How: It will display this message when self Switch A is on and self switch D is not

Scenario Three
Output: Text displays message,"Case 3!"
How: It will display this message when self Switch D is on and self switch A is not

Scenario Four
Output: Text displays message,"Case 4!"
How: It will display this message when neither self Switch A nor self switch D is on.

Possiblities
Only scenarios one and two work because self switch A is turned on at the beginning of the event and scenarios three and four require self switch A to be be off.

^_^
You said 2 possible cases, but there in fact 3 possible cases and therefore 1 point is deducted.
You misunderstood what I mean by scenario. I mean a possible scenario which will print out the corresponding message. I don't deduct points for this though.
You described an impossible scenario (Case 3) for which I deduct 1 point. The reason is to prevent enumerating all possible options as beneficial over evaluating which there are.
The inconsistency between the first and the last question (2 cases as opposed to 4 cases) is bad. 0.4 points is deducted.

You get 1.6 points. Much better than last time ^^

Glitchfinder":bib2khaw said:
Event Contest - Problem 2

Question 1: The message that will automatically print out is either "Case 1!" or "Case 2!", depending on whether or not self switch D has been set to on. In the current (visible) setup, the message that will print out is "Case 2!". Cases 3 and 4 are impossible without scripts or event commands modifying self switch A before the conditional branch.

Question 2: To have the common event print out "Case 1!", the common event must have self switch D set to on. This can mean that another common event set self switch D on in the past, or that the common event you gave us was modified to flip self switch D.

To have the event print out "Case 3!", another script or common event must have set self switch A to the off position after the common event you gave us flipped it on, yet before the common event goes on to the conditional branch. This case also requires that self switch D is currently on, possibly flipped by either a script or another common event.

To have the event print out "Case 4!", the same kind of circumstance regarding self switch A as defined in the paragraph above, regarding Case 3. (Another common event or script set it to off before this common event got to the conditional branch). The only difference between this case and case 3 is that this one requires that self switch D be in the off position.

Through testing, I have found that, with the default RMXP code, another common event will be unable to halt the processing of this common event to flip self switch A to the off position before it goes through with the conditional branch and prints out a case statement. However, that does not mean that a custom script has not modified the self switch directly, or changed how the events are processed, resulting in Case 3 or Case 4 to be printed instead.
Q1:
If triggered by, say, a common event on autorun then the Self-Switch A command is ignored and thus you are wrong about modification of the self-switch. There are 3 possible cases, not 2. 1.1 point deduction.

Q2:
Common events do not have self-switches. Only map events have self-switches. 0.1 point deduction.
The script digression is nice. 0.2 points bonus. (Since it was before my announcement.)
You missed Case 4. 1 point deduction.

You earned 2 points and hopefully some extra knowledge ^_^

LegacyX":bib2khaw said:
No idea if this is right...but its better than no aswer at all =]

case 4 will happen no matter what.

case 1 or 2 will hapopen only if switch d is on

hope thats ok ?
It's definitely better than no answer.
You got the 3 possible cases right.
You are wrong about 4 will happen no matter what. 1 point deduction.
Case 2 will NOT happen if self-switch D is on. 1 point deduction.
You didn't give any scenarios or didn't answer the first question. 2 points deduction.

You get 0 points. That is definitely better than the -4 points you would have gotten otherwise ^_^

Near":bib2khaw said:
1. Case 1 and Case 2 are possible because Self Switch A is turned on at the beginning of the event.

2. The scenarios are as follows:

Case 1 :
Code:

Event [Bob]

Parallel Process

--

@>Turn Self-Switch [D] ON

@>Call Common Event [Common Event]

@>Show Text: Event has processed...

@>Erase Event

Case 2 :
Code:

Event [Bob]

Action Button

--

@>Turn Self-Switch [D] OFF

@>Call Common Event [Common Event]

@>Show Text: Event has processed...

@>Erase Event

Case 1, 2 and 4 are possible, not 2. 1 point deduction.
You missed case 2. 1 point deduction.
The scenario descriptions are nice. 0.2 point bonus.

You get 2.2 points. Well done ^^

Regi":bib2khaw said:
Cases 1, 2, and 4 are possible.

Case 1 is displayed when both Self-Switches A and D are On. If D is turned on before the common event is called, Case 1 will show.

Case 2 is displayed when Self-Switch A is On, but Self-Switch D is Off. If this common event is called without any modifying of Self-Switch D, Case 2 will show.

Case 4 is only possible if called in a battle event, or by a skill or item. This is because there's no event to handle self-switches, thus the first Control Self-Switch A command is ignored.

Cases 3 is impossible, because it can only occur if Self-Switch A is Off and Self-Switch D is On. The previous scenario (called in battle) will not work, because then D won't be triggered either.
Perfect.

You get 4 points and a hug from me.

theory":bib2khaw said:
Took the time to properly test this one. Congrats, Zeriab. You clever devil, you. Almost had me for the longest time.
I'm pretty confident about this one. We'll see.

Case 1.) If switch A and D are on, this would be displayed. Called from a map event, switch A is always on, and D is always off. (Assuming from here forward that we are not allowed to modify the displayed common event in any way) This would be impossible.

Case 2.) If only switch A is on, then case 2 would be displayed. This would be the standard result of calling this through normal means (map event, item, etc.). This is possible.

Case 3.) If only switch D is on, this case would be displayed.
Without modifying the event lines, there is no way to turn switch D on. Therefore, this case, similar to Case 1, is not possible.

Case 4.) If no self-switches are on, this case would be displayed. Called from a map event, item, or through other "standard" means, this case would be impossible. However, called from a battle would result in only this case as a possibility; in battle self switches are not active, and therefore default to OFF. Making this technically possible.

So to directly answer question 1, two of these cases are possible.
3 cases are possible. 1 point deduction.
Case 1 description is wrong. 1 point deduction.
I am not totally sure about how you mean your 'called from' sections. I suspect there is a flaw, but I am not totally sure so no points deducted. Conduct some testing yourself and you will remember the results better than if I tell you. You can experiment with the demo I have uploaded.

You get 2 points.

Scoring
1. 7.0 points - Regi
2. 5.0 points - Glitchfinder
3. 4.4 points - Near
4. 3.0 point - theory
5. 1.6 point - becoolioman
6. 0 point - LegacyX
7. -5 point - ShadowMainZERO
8. -7 points - Rayne
8. -7 points - LooseEnds
8. -7 points - Mr_Smith
8. -7 points - The Panda
8. -7 points - QuantumMindGames

Note that FF12_Master has changed name to LegacyX.

Lessons learned
Posting a problem even if there are material readily available for providing an answer is not necessarily a bad idea.

I will post Problem 3 in the next post.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.