Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Resource icon

Tales of the Drunken Paladin: Version 3 (April 2017)

Went further still, found a few more bugs. But they're really, really weird. First, it turns out that "full action bar at combat start" bug had nothing to do with fleeing; I guess it's just rare and the only times I encountered it were areas where I was fleeing a lot. Ignoring that, now, when you get to the alchemist in the woods just after the dirt poor town, he's totally bugged; he'll craft the first three potions even if you have no flowers in your inventory, and he won't craft the fourth (the carnivorate or whatever it's called) even if you have 14. Also, again, this guy doesn't state how much money he wants for his service; it's surely nothing compared to the flowers themselves, but you should always say how much money an NPC charges.

The
save hobo going on strike
thing is sort of undermined by the fact that for some reason you can save from the menu in that town. Considering you couldn't save from the menu earlier in the game except in the wilderness, this makes no sense.

When I got up to fighting Mechanicor for the second time I noticed that my inventory items weren't doing what they were supposed to. Anebriate used a "tears of children" on himself and only got 75 MP back, and Dave used a warm beer on a teammate and healed him 300. What gives? If it makes a difference, I had "float" on at the time (which I can only assume must be having SOME effect, even if I can't guess what... though Dave's obviously a joke character through and through).

edit: Oh, one more. If you choose the option to beat up the quiz man in the desert rather than accepting his challenge, you don't actually have to fight him. You can just run past him and out of the area. Speaking of the desert, one of the cactuses appears to always be depleted even though you never used it; if you take the side path to the oasis/pool of water, it's the cactus just before the screen transition to the room with the pool.

These issues have been resolved for version 1.4.2. Dave is twice as effective with all consumables, so warm beers would correctly heal for 300. Tears of children was only supposed to heal for 75 and was mislabeled as 150.

Float doesn't do anything, lol.

EDIT: Barry works for free because he's a legit hippie.

Ok, I understand that Barry works for free, but doesn't he still need ingredients?

Also, my reaction to reading that float does nothing could basically be summed up as "If you concentrated hard enough you could just make out the word 'Nooo' through the laughing."

There were some plants prior to 1.4.2 that made the counter go up, but did not give you the actual item, or vise-versa. Plants are based on a variable that counts +1 every time you pick one, but it also gives you an item so you can just see it in your inventory and keep tabs on how many you have.

Hopefully this issue will have been completely resolved for next patch posted.

I'm pretty sure he still gives out his potions regardless of whether or not you have flowers (or how many) in 1.4. Sure seemed that way.

Anyways, just finished the game. Well, I'm assuming I finished the game. Is there anything to do after you beat the king? It was a great game, but I have to say you made a couple of dick moves with the final dungeon. I mean, dungeons with party member restrictions and where you can't level-grind are fine, but not FINAL dungeons with party member restrictions and no ability to level grind. Three of the four party members are locked-in, including the "joke"/super weak one (though with all the healing items you'll have to blow on that fight he's actually useful), and the party member who would be the most help against the final boss quits the party. That's kind of not a nice thing to do on the final dungeon; when I get to the final dungeon and boss it's supposed to be the theoretical payoff of all the equipment-tweaking, grinding and potion-saving I've done up to that point, so not letting me use the party members of my choice isn't cool. And to top it off there's a long cutscene before the final boss. Between these choices and the fact that he seemed to only have one form (which was so long that it probably should've been divided into two forms just to stop it from feeling like beating on a brick wall), and the fact that you then wake up in your house with control of the main character again, I'm actually not 100% convinced that he WAS the final boss, and was sure he wouldn't be right up until I beat him, but if there's anything after that it's not clear where I'm supposed to go.

Dave isn't locked in the party in 1.4.2, and the game allows the player to continue because there will be expansions for which you can utilize your save-games.

Thanks for your opinions, and thanks for playing TDP!

He's locked into the party in whichever the version is that your download link in the first post points to right now.

By the way, few incredibly minor oversights at the end: If you return to the old castle once the new one's been built and try to enter the castle, the guards still tell you there's nothing they can do about your house, despite that plot point being long past and the guards saying if you talk to them that the castle's now empty. If you go over to the storage shed, the game will still act as though the guard there is present (he won't let you in if it's day and if it's night Anebriate will refer to him being asleep), even though he's gone. Also, if Emma's not in your active party and you approach her house Anebriate will mention how it seems like he "missed an opportunity" with her, even though you did recruit her and she's just sitting in the reserve party bank. Finally, if you talk to the guard guarding the right staircase on floor two of the super castle, he'll fight you but at the end he'll still be standing there, so you can fight him an infinite number of times. I only tried it with him but I'll assume it also applies to the left staircase guard and possibly a few more somewhere in the castle.

Um, the filefront download link isn't working for me and I really wanna play dis game so can you upload it elsewhere? And I need the RTP since i'm using XP.

timehollow":96dpizjj said:
Um, the filefront download link isn't working for me and I really wanna play dis game so can you upload it elsewhere? And I need the RTP since i'm using XP.
Well, once I get a version uploaded that I'm confident will require no further patching for a long time, I'll host it to several places for you to choose from.

Also, I'm in the process of developing http://www.drunkenpaladin.com, which, once completed, should host on-site as well as off.

@ Phoenix and Crymsen: Thanks, glad you both liked it.

UPDATE: 1.4.2 is posted, which should fix most (if not all of) of the bugs anyone has mentioned in this thread and others.

It has also included a basement to the super-castle in case anyone needs to grind, and allows players to back-track before the final "dungeon" to any point in the game.

UPDATE: 1.5 is posted. This should be the final patch until the expansions are released. Dozens of slight modifications have been made, including item adjustments, bug-fixes and even adding a new consumable to the end-game.

i love this game but am so stuck in the poison part of the mine, can anyone post me a walkthorugh for this bit please

gumbo

I just downloaded it and haven't even got past the intro and yet I already know I'm going to love this, 'some guy called steve' hilarious!

...........................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................
..................................................................................................This is
the most.....omg.....words cannot describe this games awesomeness............

Enough said.

:)

Sooooo... First off, love the game - the humor, 'hidden' items, and mini-bosses are great and I appreciate it when people take the time to add in a bunch of interactions ('cuz I'm bound to check everything anyway).
However, something odd has happened to me.
(Background info incoming)
I had just returned to Lichfield and was about to go into the fort, however, I needed some money to gear up first. So I stepped outside the town to kill some stuff. I decided to rest up at Richmond first since the inn is cheap so I skipped the forest this time. Having done that I went to Gardiner, skipping the swamp. I then went killing things in the hills (or whatever you wanna call 'em). Next, I came back down and headed into the swamp - it was here that the weird stuff presumably occured.
(Actual problem description here)
Palmer had been sent back to his base stats, abilities, and equipment. Everything he had been wearing was gone.
(More possibly irrelevant stuff)
I tried to go back to the save point outside the fort so I could swap him out with another party member and back (see if that changed anything) but Anebriate says something to the effect of "Can't go in through the front, they'll be expecting it. Have to go in the back way." Crap, the boat's docked by the back way. How the heck can I get back in now? So I turned around and entered the forest this time. I was then given the same dialogue from the beginning of the game (A:"I don't remember this place" P:"You can't even remember your name...only way to get to Richmond" etc.).
Saving from the menu was enabled so I did that, and I do have an older save to return to, but What the heck?!
That is some crazy thing to have happen.

Edit: The side exit that normally appears after the super castle is built was not there either.

Haha... I got myself into trouble again.

So this time (from the same point as before) I sailed to Bowdoin, found the guy's dog, went into town, saved, killed the Jets, and tried to leave. I was able to leave the town, but I couldn't go back through the wilderness.
I went back to my pre-Jet-killing save point and had the same problem.

This'll teach me to go looking for money...

Edit: I just returned to an older saved game, but word to the wise: if you want to go back to Bowdoin town, 'park' at the dock by the town; if you want to go to the wilderness, park at the dock by the wilderness and DON'T go into town (unless you want to be stuck there)

HMMM, this is all very peculiar!

I'll get to work trying to find what exactly went wrong. The thing with Palmer is particularly unsettling.

EDIT: By "hills" do you mean the underground mines?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.