Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Epsilon Alpha

Epsilon-Alpha

forumtitles.png

Earth Year 2089 A.D.

TIMELINE
2045:First space colony is built. Shortly after, over 20 colony construction projects were started.
2049:First Humanoid Mobile Armor was invented. Not finding a good use in the civilian world, the military made its own version.
2061:War of Unification. The United Earth Nation (UEN) waged a war to unify the many nations of Earth. The Allied Freedom Front (AFF) fought back. After 7 long years, the UEN was victorious.

PLOT
After the War of Unification, many AFF supporters, soldiers, and leaders had a bitter taste in their mouth. Looking for a new opportunity, they fled to space. The colonies were young, had no identity, and were politically and ideologically independent of the UEN. This was a perfect place for AFF to settle in and the colonies took on the identity of the former AFF. A cold war started between the UEN and the colonies, now calling themselves the Neo-Allied Freedom Front, or NAFF for short. For 10 years tensions grew, until 2089, when the war that everyone expected finally came.

ENTER THE HERO
The Second War of Unification broke out in early 2089. A UEN Space Cruiser crashed into a colony by mistake, alerting the NAFF Fleet in the area. War raged in space, but for 9 months the Earth remained untouched, until Operation Icarus. In a swift and well performed attack, NAFF Forces invaded Earth.
The story takes place on the European Front, where a veteran Lieutenant is given responsibility over the UEN's secret weapon, a new Mobile Armor, called the Epsilon and it's young pilot.

PLAYABLE CHARATERS
1.png

Scott McClain: Veteran Pilot from the previous war. Very capable pilot and even better leader.
3.png

Ray Forge: Pilot of Epsilon-Alpha. First pilot to use the Epsilon in battle. Ray is very young and inexperienced, but when it comes to piloting by the books, there's no better. His stats are the best anyone has ever seen, which is why he's the Epsilon's pilot.
2.png

Rena Dolph: Scott's second Lieutenant and probably the best LR-70 (heavily armored mobile suit) pilot the UEN has. Rena's best quality is keeping Scott from losing his temper during battle.
4.png

Clyde Evans: Possibly one of the best mobile suit pilots of his time. Many also say he's the most egotistical pilot of his time as well, which makes him not pleasant to work with.

MOBILE SUIT TYPES
alphasingleframe.png

EPSILON
rm-80singleframe-1.png

ARES
UENARTEMIS.png

ARTEMIS
UENHERMES.png

HERMES
LR-70singleframe.png

ZEUS
Spartansingleframe.png

SPARTAN
NAFFARES.png

ARES
ct-75singleFrame-1.png

ARTEMIS
NAFFHERMES.png

HERMES
lr-70Nsingleframe.png

ZEUS

SCREENSHOTS
Title Screen
Part1.png

Office Scene
EDsOffice.png

Battle
ScreenShot.png

Space Scene
SpaceScene.png

Fan Art by kiearaphoenix
EpislionAlphaGroup2Desk-1.png

Fan Art by Lust Dragon
user127_pic707_1256482632.png

JUST FOR FUN
SpartansEmblem.png

NAFFemblem.png

UENEmblem.png

DOWNLOAD PART 1
Here is the download for Part 1. Approximately 2-4 hrs of gameplay. For all non-XP users, there are instructions on how to download the RTP located inside the download. Enjoy!
http://www.filefront.com/14715491/Gundam Alpha.exe

EPSILON-ALPHA THEME BY sswave
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... ffle=false

CREDITS
Graphics
Clest-mobile suit sprites, alpha drawing
S. Flathers-Facesets
KNight-Blade-Tilesets, sprites
Vexed Enigma- Tilesets
Kieara Phoenix- Tilesets
Coyotecraft- sprite edits

Scripts
Near Fantastica
SephirothSpawn
Wachunga
Leon
PK8
Atoa
Illustrationism
Dubealex

Music
sswave
Muse-Micro Cuts

Beta Testers
sswave
Clest
Lowell
Kieara Phoenix

I dont mean to be rude but Im not a fan of this...

The title screen is all I can see that is alluring... The sprites don't go well together... One looks ripped and the other looks like a KB mod... You should get them all to be of one or the other theme...

Id suggest something other than the KB tilesets as they are extremely dull and designed for human sized sprites, the gundams arent the right proportion and not of a suitable match to the theme in general.

That's alright, I respect your input.  The reason's I won't get other tilesets are simple:
-I can't afford someone to make them for me
-They're easy to use
-I really like the sprites that Clest has done for me already and I'm not changing those

This game is not meant to flaunt amazing graphics or anything like that.  It's going to be story driven and hopefully that will be enough to overlook some minor inconsistancies with "matching sprites with tilesets."

The other mobile suit models that I have not put up yet are very similar to the Epsilon and Spartan.  The LR-70 is a modified KB (done by clest) sprite and is a long ranged artillery mobile suit, much like a tank.  Most of the average mobile suits are Humanoid.

I do understand your points though, I just can't do much about them.

Bael

This game is not meant to flaunt amazing graphics or anything like that.  It's going to be story driven and hopefully that will be enough to overlook some minor inconsistancies with "matching sprites with tilesets."

:thumb: I like that view.  I think it looks good so far.  I hope you continue working on this.

Hey, the tittle screen looks awesome (talking about the whole design you made, not about my artwork here). The background and font look nice together and fit well with Epsilon.

Also love the facesets, specially the girl :)

The plot seems interesting and specially the setting :)

Unless Rye made those faces for you, I don't think she would want you using them. That aside, this looks like a breath of fresh air. It's got a great premise and over all good characters. I think you might want to experiment with a tactical battle system, it would suit the game better and allow for more large scale battles, which is almost a necessity for mech games.

Unless Rye made those faces for you, I don't think she would want you using them
I see we have a "resource pirate" hunter amongst us!   :wink: Yeah, I commissioned Rye for those facesets (and 5 more to come!) so they're mine to use.  Good catch though.

I think you might want to experiment with a tactical battle system, it would suit the game better and allow for more large scale battles, which is almost a necessity for mech games.
Ah, a fan of Front Mission I'm guessing.  I've pondered very long about the type of battle system I wanted to use in this game.  I really wanted to make a style of game that was KNight-Blade-like (because I know people will play it then).  After deciding to make this game story driven, a tactical battlesystem would drag on too much and cause some problems with story flow.  I will look into it more closely though, since you mentioned it, I'm making this game for people to play, not for me to make.

Yay a sci fi classic gundamesque game! Seriously that is what attracted me to post here. The story, it made me take a walk to memories of the classic Gundam, G-0080, G-0083, G-Wing and all that jazz. Hope ta see more!

kiearaphoenix":1yauqn6m said:
The story, it made me take a walk to memories of the classic Gundam, G-0080, G-0083, G-Wing and all that jazz. Hope ta see more!
Well well well, a person after my own heart!  I own All the UC Gundams (except for the original 0079 and double zeta) and Wing.  This storyline (which I have left vague for a reason) is heavily influenced by Gundam and Clyde Evans look is based on Char Aznable in Zeta Gundam.

Kleara likes Gundam? That explains that piece with a mech in some old contest I saw once :D

As for battle system, I really think a TBS won´t be much better than a standard turn system, at least for the focus of the game which for what I see goes more around small unit/special oerations than large scale battles (those I believe are fought in parallel to the actual game story). And for the info I have, the side view battle is interesting enough to keep things nice.

@Clest; it was the love of that and many other giant mecha + bubblegum crises= inspiration for that pics. @AMA55 could you use both depending on battle campagin or importance to story?

Kieara: Me never wantched Bubblegun *shame* but been watching and drawing mecha stuff for about 20 years and love all that :)

Btw, hope he accepts your offer, loved some modern or sci fi like tilesets you posted on the screenshot topic :)

And hmmm perhaps Amass could use a war system like Suikoden 1 and 2 for great field battles if need be, would be fun.

Sound's like a promising game. I loved gundam so this might be just the game for me. Maybe you might wanna change the name of Moblie suits, It got annoying After Gundam Seed. And I don't know what you mean by "Humnoid" I mean is it part human?

Humanoid refers to shape, like resembling a human (you know, torso, arms, legs, head... ).

Now I do agree about the idea of giving the mechas a speffic name rather than mobile suits, I got some ideas I discard from my project (I decided to use the term Engeizer for my mechs) so ideas:
-Gearframe
-ARM (Articulated Robot Module)
-MAM (Mechanical Armor Module)

It think you got me wrong, I said "To change the name of Mobile Suits to something more creative" not my exact words but what I meant.

@Kiera: I am in need of someone to help me edit the KNight-Blade human sprites (as I am not a spriter).  I will send you a PM in the next couple of days to describe what I'm looking for and you can decide if you'd like to take part.  Also, in terms of using a tactical battle system, I've considered doing both, like you suggested, but right now, Part 1 has no room for it in the storyline, possibly part 3.  Part 1 has to do with small military units.

@Clest: Names are not my strong point and basically the only names that I'm extremely set on are UEN, the names of the characters, Epsilon and Spartan.  The other mechs will have nicknames too.  As for all the other names, it's up in the air and subject to change, preferebly after I get some feedback from the community to see what they like, the game is for them, not for me.

@Zenrdy: I do want to change the names, but I haven't found one that fits yet.  Right now, Humanoid Mobile Armor is my best option(subject to change).

How bout AUTOMATIZED HUMANOID MILITARY SUIT.
And maybe a recruitment thread, I would love to be one of the many helping you.
As, for the different names don't pressure to much on it. Simple names can come a long way.

What I suggest was exactly that,  a general term for this game´s machines rather than mobile suits, like Gears in Xenogears, Labors in Patlabor or Assault Gears in Knight Blade.

Amass: Humanoid Mobile Armor sounds good, though I still suggest ARM (Articulated Robot Module) as well. In the end, up to you :) But don´t sweat on it too much :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.