Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Search for Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Game!!! You took my idea though..... :(

I was going to something similar.... Just to break from the monotous that is my game at the moment.

Great Job.... short and sweet.

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

With a ten to twenty minute, original game concept (for the engine, anyhow), you've managed to best the vast majority shlock out there.

I very much dig the setting for the game, and I even got a sense of closure with the ending.

Awesome work.

Thanks, again, everyone for your kind words. I'm actually a little surprised that this game has been so well received. This can be a good thing but also a bad thing. If I were to continue this game in some fashion, I think that it would be difficult to meet everyone's expectations. I kind of had some ideas rolling around my head, but to be honest, I haven't been working on anything related to rmxp right now. I've been busy creating digital memory books for my students. Who knows. There might be something in the works in the summer. No promises though. Thanks, again, for playing.

Well, I'd consider it a good thing, alexia. Your success with TSFT (I'm lazy) has shown your talents with RMXP. Thus, creating hype for The Healer!

Or, maybe, it could just raise everyones expectations and be an absolute flop? Worst case scenario of course, which I doubt will happen. :)
You're more likely to quit the project, like everyone else.

This game had really a nice concept. I liked the story, how to play, and how you did the riddles. Well done!

That ghost was annoying as it killed me in like 2 seconds... but yet, it was indeed fun to play. The dungeon were solvable, but yet, not too easy. I like how you made the breath timers for the water and all that.

Can't get enough of Thomas? Well, I created a difficult version of the game. It has the same plot and puzzles, but no potions, less HP, more rats but less rodent spray, and much more (or less, in this case). I died a couple of times and I had to save often in order to beat the game. Think you have what it takes to survive? Download the difficult version and try!

Download Difficult Version Here

**Even though there are no potions, your HP will regenerate but very slowly.

Taylor

Sponsor

alexia;190612 said:
@craybest: That's up for you to decide but it did cross my mind.

The whole purpose of the merchant was the fact that he disappeared. Some people may or may not have noticed this.
Whether you missed checking the merchant or not, you'll still mention it at the end.

This was wicked. Creepy style, dark, without scaring the crap outta me like the white chamber. *shudder*
Gotta love that evil boss theme nm141. Was gonna use it in one of my games myself but decided against it.
I'm using nm144 in my game though for a dark moonlit forest... kinda cliche I guess but eh.
Hannya's work is good.
From what I understand, Meggie is trapped in a loop, continuously looking for Thomas... whenever she refuses to go into the afterlife, she is returned to the chamber. Forgetting everything. The other ghost is ... like the Grim Reaper, hence she is known to be many things.
What interests me is why the other "girl" asks why the environment is always changing. It ISN'T. Besides the merchant, nothing unusual changed.

I never realized that health regenerated in the Difficult version, I think it could be removed though.
You may also want to delete her class so she isn't called a Fighter or have any skills.

If I were ever to have the time to take a break from Quintessence, I'm going to make a short horror-survival game inspired by this and CERU's project. :D

Reives;235168 said:
If I were ever to have the time to take a break from Quintessence, I'm going to make a short horror-survival game inspired by this and CERU's project. :D

I have been wanting to do the same for almost a year now, I just have never found the time to stray away from priority number one even though that starts in very much a similar atmosphere to TSFT anyway. I better run away now before I go too off topic.

Jirbytaylor":7lt89nq0 said:
Whether you missed checking the merchant or not, you'll still mention it at the end.
Yeah, I realized that. I could go back and put in a conditional branch to check to see if the player saw the change or I could make it so that the player has to see it or not see it in this case.
This was wicked. Creepy style, dark, without scaring the crap outta me like the white chamber. *shudder*
Gotta love that evil boss theme nm141. Was gonna use it in one of my games myself but decided against it.
I'm using nm144 in my game though for a dark moonlit forest... kinda cliche I guess but eh.
Hannya's work is good.

I like Hannya a lot as well. However, they have a broad range. Some pieces are amazing while others are a bit lacking. I actually really like HMix but they're all mp3s which I try to avoid if possible.

From what I understand, Meggie is trapped in a loop, continuously looking for Thomas... whenever she refuses to go into the afterlife, she is returned to the chamber. Forgetting everything. The other ghost is ... like the Grim Reaper, hence she is known to be many things.
What interests me is why the other "girl" asks why the environment is always changing. It ISN'T. Besides the merchant, nothing unusual changed.
I know there weren't any changes to the environment. Perhaps that could be something I could implement later. It depends if I feel like it. It made sense storywise, I just didn't carry it out in the gameplay.
I never realized that health regenerated in the Difficult version, I think it could be removed though.
You may also want to delete her class so she isn't called a Fighter or have any skills.
I think I'll leave the health regeneration in the difficult version only for the fact that all health restoring items have been removed.

Oops. I didn't realize that I left the Fighter title in her class. That can easily be fixed. Thank you Jirbytaylor for playing the game.

@Souldragon19: I'm glad that you enjoyed the ending.

@Reives and Calibre: I would love to play any survival horror game you come up with. The funny thing is, I didn't really consider The Search for Thomas a survival horror game. It was just a short side project with an interesting story.

Wonderful ending! Like Xilef I was able to guess the ending from some letters. It was short and sweet, but I had fun playing it. Thanks for the nice game =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.