Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Search for Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Search for Thomas[/FONT]

4-2.png

This game was a result of a small break from my main project "The Healer". It's a full, short game that utilizes mostly rtp graphics.

Story
Thomas?...Thomas!
Where are you?...

A young girl awakens in a small, dark room. She knows only one thing...she must find Thomas.

Characters
Meggie.png
Meggie
The main protagonist.

Thomas.png
Thomas
A young boy who is supposedly missing.

Features
  • No battles. That's right. You must avoid monsters and animals in order to survive.
  • Health bar. Keep track of Meggie's health via the on-screen health bar.
  • No magic, experience or gold. It's not about leveling up, it's about surviving.
Screen Shots

1-2.png

Uh Oh. Maybe it's the other switch. Wait! What other switch?

2-2.png

So...do you come here often?

3-2.png

Hmm...maybe I should check out that shiny thing.

Credits
Enterbrain, of course...

Graphics
Zany Zora
Whitecat
Crimson Lotus

Audio
Hannya
TAM Music Factory
Vincente Molina Alonso
A1 Radio Sounds
Sounddogs

Scripts
Ccoa
Yeyinde
DerVVulfman
Selwyn

Download Demo Here

Bogus

Spectacular and creepy. Loved it. I got me arse handed to me by the ghost, but I'll be playing it again. I love the music, especially the Game Over music, nostalgia from old horror movies. = )

Great little game with a ton of atmosphere.

Really fun ^_^ I loved the atmosphere of it. You weren't kidding when you said it was short, though :p Are you going to follow it up with anything?

Incredible. 10/10
I could guess the ending from one of the letters. Brilliant game. I felt like committing suicide at the ending.
The game over screen reminded me of a thousand childhood nightmares.
Simply perfect.
It wasn't that short. The event lag kinda lengthened it...
Better be a sequel like; The Search For Felix. That would be cool.
The sacrifice part was brilliant. Didn't expect that to happen.
Make another! Make another! With more voodoo scariness involved!
This better appear in RRRB, and if it did, it better get 10/10 ?_?

I enjoyed that a lot. Very good, I have to give it to you Alexia.

Better be a sequel like; The Search For Felix.
Shutup... ':|

The sacrifice part was brilliant. Didn't expect that to happen.

Wtf? For all the others know you could be giving some stuff away. Put that in a spoiler, I thought it ruined the story for a second :'(

That was pretty fun alexia, nothing too taxing, but made me feel like I was playing resident evil rtp. I have similar things planned for Cell Chambers later dungeon areas, gonna try and make rtp as scary as it can be!

The only thing I could say is that maybe you are underestimating how fun it is, and you could add a little to the visuals, it's cool when the lights are off, but when the lights are on, it looks pretty bland.

Fun little game Alexia. Your puzzles weren't too difficult but your use of the environment was very good. The whole avoiding enemies aspect was interesting. It certainly didn't allow me to be careless as when I was I would often pay dearly for it. The story also had a nice twist at the end which everyone enjoys. I look forward to playing your full project The Healer after seeing this small showcase of your talent.

I think a sequel would be great...Something that is entirely different to the finding Thomas one, involving different characters and such. You have created something great here, and if you make another one that's longer under the same title you could me a pretty big rmxp series.

Um, wow! Thanks everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I was influenced by the Resident Evil series - the letters, finding objects, etc. I'm not sure about a sequel. As I was creating this game, I had to hold myself back a lot because I kept wanting to add to it. But I didn't so that I could complete something from start to finish.

On a side note - Did anybody actually use the lantern?

Also, can anyone think of a better name for the rodent spray? I didn't want to say bug spray, because that wouldn't fit and rodent repellant wouldn't be an accurate description. Oh well.

I used the lantern, though I didn't notice anything special about it? Was it just an alternative to the matchsticks?

I think the name rodent spray is fine. If you want it to sound a little more deadly you could try toxin or something allow thoe lines.

I just played Sweet Home, the game that influence resident evil 1, and the gameplay style between that and this are very similar, especially with the matches and stuff.
Good job.
Why wouldn't you use the lantern? It looks and sounds more convenient than matches.

(How the hell is the word sacrifice gonna spoil a storyline plot!?!?)

Where did my post go? :D
It practically said:
I can see that you based this on Resident Evil because I have just been playing a NES game called Sweet Home which has a similar game play style to this.
Why wouldn't you use the lamp? Just the name makes it sound more efficient. Rat poison gets my vote.
Make more!

Umm... it got edited. Because saying that anything that gets...

sacrificed

...in a game generally does spoil it, luckily in this case, it doesn't, but to others it may seem spoilt, it's common sense.

Well, I think that the key part of the story is-
I'm not gonna push it, now I understand why that would be a spoiler.
Who is asking for the sacrifice of the 6 wooden people? Is it that doll, because it really surprised me when that popped up. Pure genius. And who is that person who looks like the girl?
I can tell I'm going to have nightmares tonight after playing this.

I suck so bad at puzzles what should I do?
I'm in front of the 2 switches, and I have a battery cable, but I can't activate both switches, what do Ihave to do?
edit: I figured it out, and beated the game. It was pretty nice overall, maybe a little boring graphic-wise, there was only 1 chipset in most of the game, maybe some rooms could have been different...
Storywise it was very entertaining, although by the end I already had guessed which the plot twist would be, but It was greatly done anyway.
It had a lot of ambience for being a rtp game though. If you made a custom menu(very simple) and changed a bit the font and system set, I bet It could have even more ambience.

The sacrifice thing was just a way to tell you how to unlock the door. Sorry, but I didn't really think about who wrote the message. And as far as the mysterious character at the end...it will remain a mystery. I left the end a bit ambiguous so that different people will get different things from the ending.
Hint: Notice the colors of the switches and try to remember where you saw those colors last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.