Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Search for Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
What first part? Anything revealing about the game you might want to put into spoilers.

@craybest: I know the graphics are a bit boring. I didn't want to customize the rtp too much, otherwise this "break" from The Healer wouldn't have been a break at all. For me, mapping is a chore and I've realized that I actually really enjoy eventing.

Holy....That was Awesome.... Too bad though. It could have been sooo much better. I think you could have improved on the dialogue in the end before the credits. I think I might actually have nightmares tonight. well... This was an awesome game. Short but sweet. Creepy.

Tim.

This is a pretty nice short game here. Perhaps instead of a sequel you could gradually change the world in each repetition, kinda like fl0w.

I have a doubt: (big spoiler)
in one of the letters they talk about the 2 ghosts, and say that the girl is dangeous, so was actually you that killed the merchant?

@craybest: That's up for you to decide but it did cross my mind.

The whole purpose of the merchant was the fact that he disappeared. Some people may or may not have noticed this.

pod

This is a cool little game. I was trying to work on something similar for the rtp challenge but gave up as I couldn't do it properly without scripts. I really enjoyed it, the puzzles could of being a tad harder but as a quick one off project its excellent.

haha creepy and fun, i like how u get rid of the batles, thats what im doing for my project, it will be completely based around puzzles and minigames, anyway alexia u have skills and im also looking forward to the healer

Simplistic yet awesome, enjoyed it a lot. The game over music creeps the hell outta me; so I tried my hardest not to die. :D

The beginning with the merchant's body disappearing reminded me of the movie Saw 1 a lot; actually thought that maybe the merchant was behind the events :D Guess not.

Nix

Great job, alexia! That was wonderful! Very neat idea. There's really very little I can say that hasn't already been said. Are you going to submit this to the finished games thread? ^_^

One little thing I noticed, not a bug, per se, was that the rats only harm you if they run into you or you run into them - it's not when you're adjacent to them or merely touching. For instance, if you run into a rat, it does WAY more damage than if you're just standing next to one, in which case you'll only be damaged as the rat 'takes its movement turn' and runs into you.

Oh! And a question:

Do you get a chance to use the Club Card? I don't think I did :-3

The rats only actually take off 2 health points each time they touch you. If you are continually running into the rat, it seems as though it's taking off more health because it keeps taking off 2 points.
You need to use the club card to use the elevator.
And I guess I should submit it to the Finished Games Thread. I know that there is a lot more that I could do to improve this game. I might run with the idea another time but right now, I have to get back to The Healer.

If I do continue this game at a later time, I'll need a health bar script. I edited Yeyinde's HUD script to get the health bar but the only problem was that my maps had to be very large in order for it to work correctly. Otherwise, the health bar would stay in the middle of the map whenever the character approached the edge of a map. Needless to say, for my rooms that were 3x3 in size, my maps had to be 30x30. So, if anyone out there would like to script a simple health bar that stays centered over the character's head, please let me know. I would also like for it to be called with a call script.

alexia;191743 said:
If I do continue this game at a later time, I'll need a health bar script. I edited Yeyinde's HUD script to get the health bar but the only problem was that my maps had to be very large in order for it to work correctly. Otherwise, the health bar would stay in the middle of the map whenever the character approached the edge of a map. Needless to say, for my rooms that were 3x3 in size, my maps had to be 30x30. So, if anyone out there would like to script a simple health bar that stays centered over the character's head, please let me know. I would also like for it to be called with a call script.

I can do that with events and switches to turn it on and off. But you probably would prefer a script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.