Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Devil's Broker

The Devil's Broker

arev

Sponsor

I meant the blue one. Especially in the back. It looks unreasonably bright and stands out a bit too much. imho : )

Thanks for the feedback!

The problem with the black glass was flipped normals. I should have checked that first, but for some reason it didn't occur to me. Anyway, here's an update:

186e3985f545851b64380f4e5321dfd1.jpg

The iteration time with VRay is annoying, so I think I'm going to try to avoid it in the future. I still need to fix the lighting artifacts on the metal and some of the materials. Also, I feel like the far wall needs more stuff on it, like pictures or something. I'm lazy and don't feel like adding more things, but it looks bad, so I probably should.

You probably could have gotten away with the far wall by adding a light shining on it. Consider the wall section to the left of the bar; without the overhang light it would be just as plane as that wall at the far back

Yeah, but I'd need to add some overhead lights, and this was easier:
4279a701ba70d7cd88b521c9ff416463.jpg

Material needs tweaking, though. That mirroring didn't look good after all. Also, why the hell is my glass white now??? ugh (Edit: Never mind, figured out what the problem was.)

The artifacts on the metal persist. I'm going to try cranking up the subdivisions, but I won't know if it helped for another hour. :|

Edit: No, it did not help.
e1f0634314c4e9f215cf782056f86521.png

Urrgghhh, I've turned up subdivisions on the lights and the metals and it still looks like crap. I dunno what to do.

p.s. I hate VRay

Eh, whatever, I'm just gonna do a final render and iron out the bugs in post. I rendered one out at 720p and blew it up to start on post-processing. Lighting and color adjustment is my favorite step.

9ca4af064a49bf08333e532234a3546a.jpg

Still need lines and ambient occlusion. Also want some reflections on the bar.

Edit: aaaaa kill me
87ae795081e945ab551a63d4c714bb11.png

It's probably underestimating, too. ;-; I really hope my computer doesn't overheat before it's done.

Edit: heellllpppp
d5dda8fc0668f3f20aedd89c6fad2f75.png

arev

Sponsor

The wall looks better now :)
Too bad hte artiffacts on the metal didn't go away... It's probably faster if you fix it afterwards, but just out of curiosity - what are the image sampler rates, the subdivs on the materials (is this metal on the chairs anisotropic by any chance?) and the lights? Also, are the spotlights actual Vray Lights or are you using some geometry with VRayLightMtl on it? If so - what's the subdiv rate on the light material?

There's one more thing:
bsjWwKU.png

I just noticed this border around the counter (but only thanks to "this"). It's somewhat visible if you look at the bright light spots having a slight discontinuity, but I'd guess most people won't notice it. If you want them to notice it - try chamfering the edge a little, so it captures some specular highlights/reflections from the lamps.

Thanks! I actually just went ahead and fixed that in post, hahaha. I think it's clearer now.

23187441361295e2273e0d15d2150702.jpg

I also added reflections on the bar. I'm just waiting for that final 8k render now, which is still going...

Anything else I should fix before I call it done? I might get some of the texture of the wood back on top of the reflections, since it got kind of lost. Also, I still need to clean up the noise on the metal.

Thanks! Yeah, I had a couple people comment that it was too clean for a bar, but idk what I'd change. I don't go to bars. I'm open to suggestions but may just be calling it done soon because it's taken a horribly long time to make.

Note to self: fix all this weird crap and possibly re-render if it can't be done in post :|
52f530c56f059df8e05e4b176feebf64.png

I also need to double-check that the normals on the bottles are facing the right way, because in retrospect I'm not sure about that.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Haha, it will be the small things that always slip by I guess...

I'd just say some napkins or coasters on the bar, crumpled papers or receipts from tabs customers sign and throw the copy under the bar as they leave

Beer nuts or something fancier?

maybe we can get away with dirty, without doing much. A napkin/coaster under the martini, toothpick and olive resting on it.

Uh I can keep suggesting things until the cows come home.

eb6484ecfcb078406fdbf947914d6209.png

omg nearly 34 hours and it's not fucking done yet aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Okay, I'll see what I can do, Injury. We're past the point of being able to add things, I think, but maybe if it's really small or adding minor dirt or something.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Well don't get too bogged down in it. Completing your work is more important than thinking you are shorting yourself because you didn't add dirt.

Yeah, I was gonna go back to it, but I think I just don't have the energy to work on this one anymore. Here's the final result:

cdeabe941ce2d417fc6b399b4d306285.jpg

It took 35 hours to render ;_;

Thanks, guys!! :)

Okay, I'm starting another one.
a0de897c3793ee62725efcb443f797da.png

That friggin fishing boat in the back has awful geometry. I've spent most of the evening trying to clean it up. I'm probably gonna have to paint over weird bits.

Not sure I like the composition of this shot. I'd like the pier to look bigger, I think, but I don't want to fill it up with a bunch of boats because then I have to texture them.

arev

Sponsor

The bar looks great. It's a shame it became such a pain in the ass, but then again - that's game development in a nutshell :D
To tell you the truth I'm impressed by the amount of work you're putting in a contest project!
How many more backgrounds are you planning to do? How many are done already? And how's the code part of the project going?

Haha, yeah, I've given up on the contest deadline at this point. I was planning to make a game in this timeframe anyway, so I decided to use the contest as an external motivator, but the backgrounds are too time-consuming, and I wanted to do more revisions of the story.

I've got five done now, and I'm planning another...10 or so? I might need to add a couple more during the next revision of the story, but I'm going to try hard not to. :/

The basics of the code work, but I'm waiting on finalized story content and UI before we get too into it. The coding part won't be super challenging, but it's a lot less of a pain in the ass if we have final UI first. I'm talking to a UI artist at the end of the month.

Also, thanks! Glad you like the bar. :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.