Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Devil's Broker

The Devil's Broker

Okay, I started on another background. These materials are horrible, but how's the composition?

7a92ad6a1d694942651c8ef163836845.png

I'm not sure if I like a bunch of crap blocking the door, but it looks too empty without the shelves in the middle?? I dunno. I think my main complaint is it seems too small for what I had in mind, but I dunno if I can be bothered detailing a larger area.

Also, you'd be surprised at how hard it is to find a simple model of a friggin mezzanine. I ended up paying $3 for one from Turbosquid and then hacking it to do what I wanted.

I feel like the forklift is in the wrong spot. Like it needs to move to the right and come closer(?) maybe? The perspective looks a bit out.

Hmmm. Do you like this more? The main thing I did was back up the camera and add some more shelves so it looks a little bigger.

9c3e505c05853cbb849819a35e0a3462.jpg

Edit: I was trying to explain ambient occlusion to a friend and made a gif. AO is probably the single most important part of this process.
2FLwP58.gif

I have also finally figured out a pretty foolproof way to get an AO render that works correctly the first time, but it's dumb as hell. Basically, SketchUp and archive3d models might have flipped normals, which show up as black in an AO pass and look terrible. But you can fix this by applying a shell modifier with .01 inner thickness to all the geometry in your scene, and now you don't have any backfaces! You also quadrupled your polycount, but whatever. I just have a separate file for AO now.

yeah, the new angle makes the forklift look far less awkward. the ao looks fantastic. :O
if these are backdrops for something vn-ish, shouldn't the camera be around head-height? i just realised it might be a bit high where it is atm :s

Thanks! I wasted like five or six hours yesterday on stupid dumb shit like Max crashing and files getting corrupted, but I managed to finish configuring basic materials. I feel like the lighting could be better, but I've just about had it with this scene, so I'm not gonna bother. Post-processing fixes everything!

0bffabbc8e28441f9002fa1c3b2a08f7.jpg

Now to do an 8k render and start on post while I wait on renders for lines and reflections.

(edit: oops my pallets disappeared, not intentional)

I spent some time fiddling with geometry and render settings for trees:

437a3279eaf161a9e2b538b44b471f8a.png

But this looks really 3D and is too detailed, so I think I'm going to try painting some stock trees I can drop into scenes. Here are some style refs for my benefit:

1417554969-festival-720test-3.png

makoto-shinkai-the-garden-of-words-road-trees-sunshine-trolley-bus-anime-1920x1080.png

just_a_tree_by_mclelun-d96ak46.jpg

4.png

This tutorial is okay, but annoyingly he doesn't post his brushes. I'm looking for some good leaf brushes now.

I made some brushes and tried playing around with them.

2a494d038ca7075bf4652806f853f411.png

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I made the leaves too big, but even setting that aside, I'm not sure it's quite there yet? I want the quality to be consistent with the renders. I think I'm on the right track, but I'd like it to look more painted without being too soft. The other brushes I tried were too soft.

Maybe I should put together an exterior scene and mess around with it.

I think it looks really, really good. Aren't you limiting yourself with the lighting options for the exteriors that use this tree?

Thanks! And I'm not going to use just this tree; I was just testing the style. I figure I'll draw trees as I need them but make an effort to make them reusable.

Injury

Awesome Bro

If this is like pre-processing, then I'm sure it will be fine. I think it could be darker, or more aged looking maybe...
<3

Yep, this is just the base model I dumped into the scene. I haven't done any processing or reassigned materials or anything yet. :) I might add some ivy and stuff in post, we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion!

CXqJzWkVAAAYqRl.jpg:large

Updated WIP. Haven't done much postwork yet. I'm gonna paint some vegetation, and then the building will probably need a fair bit of painting over. I gave up trying to get the path texture to look good, so I'm just gonna have to paint over it a lot.

It looks a thousand times better compared to the previous image with the radiosity and soft shadowing. I love seeing your process for doing these, gets my imagination fired up

Yep, it's amazing how much better it looks with each iteration, right? The colors here still suck, too, and I haven't even done any painting over yet.

Okay, here are some more refs, specifically for grass/shrubs. Makoto Shinkai is my art hero. I should probably shamelessly steal his palettes.

5-centimeters-per-second-full-145411.jpg

Makoto.Shinkai.full.648480.jpg

4.png

Makoto-Shinkai-Scooter-5-Centimeters-Per-Second-728x409.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

kumo_no_muko_070.jpg

That last one looks like a good color ref. I'm gonna give it a stab.

f86ee60bcac72f4f6f036a760e0363d0.jpg

And here are some color adjustments. Looks much better. I'm gonna try actually painting now. I stripped out some of the texture detail while I was at it so it looks more painterly.

87868dc3aaabc8cda240b03e6900580c.jpg

Uh... Well, it's not Makoto Shinkai, but it's not awful? I realized after I did this that it's totally inappropriate for a well-kept yard in front of a mansion, though. Ummmm, maybe I'll try some shrubs next and cover it up!

Edit: Uh... Hmmm. I don't like this. I'm gonna try again.
f347635ab6b3d6366521b9b4d138f5e3.jpg

Here are some refs:
1397832593000-Alpine--wide-front.jpg

Buhl-Mansion-Exterior-Summer-2-med.jpg

Edit 2: Okay, this looks much better and is also easier to do.

b068249681a26318ee8ab5d76c764703.jpg

The brush is just one of the Photoshop oil paint brushes with some scattering and stuff applied.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.