Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Scripts HELP! How to activate!?

When I paste a script into the editor... how do I make it work? (read the instructions.. not helping.) Just in general, no script specifically, is there anything you have to do to activate it?

Alright thank you! But only if you're up to it lol. err, my game lags badly sometimes when I testplay lol. it's annoying, I'm sure nothing can be done about it so I'll just suck it up haha!

Thanks.

Yes you can.  You'd need to open the game folder and modify the pictures so there are more locks.  But it wouldn't be hard to do if you've analyzed the system to see how it works.  Then you'd just have to change the variables a little.

And you can change the difficulty too, by making the wait time for the green arrows shorter so it's harder to hit the button on time.  Works pretty good actually.

Well, I'll tell you what.  Tell me what you want for your game, and I'll make you a demo with the event system included.  Be specific though.  And I can't script anything, but most things that you'd think you'd need a script for, you can actually do with events.  So let me know what you're looking for.

(My fiancee' and I are working together on a pet system currently.  It'll have a neat little demo game and is actually pretty cool.  So far you can start with a dragon or phoenix hatchling.  It's got a lot of neat features.)

:smile: WOW! You're amazingly cool! Jeez, tell me when your game comes out, I'll definitely try it!

well, I'd like a bunch of stuff haha! I'll compile a list of the things I'm looking for so I can give it to you and you can help me out. You're really awesome, I appreciate it soo much lol.

Okay, I've compiled a list.. although I'm sure it requires scripting for most of these lol, it's worth asking though.
here it is:

Change title screen, picture, and song.. and logo screen before title screen.. lol.
Alchemy (e.g. combining potions.)
weapon endurance, breakable, etc.
horses, other vehicles. or other forms of transportation. or a teleport spell.
job classes and changing. a menu for this and animations to change.
on screen display of health and other stats.
learn skills from weapons (mastery system.)
example: final fantasy tactics :)
choose starting stats, high in magic, defense, or strength. based on an item you choose in the beginning (weapon.)

Well, just let me know if what one's are impossible with events only lol, I'll store it away until later.

Thanks!

Most? lol.  You'd be surprised at just how versatile events really are.  My friend, Xephyr evented a replica Guitar Hero game.... NO scripts whatsoever.  He's better than me though lol.

Anyway.
The title screen is easy to change.  It's in the database, under system.  You can import your own picture for it.  And the music you can import too, or just change to another of the rtp standard songs.

Next, Alchemy.  This is actually one of my favorite things to do using events.  And it might actually be simpler to do with events than scripts.  You can add TONS of features and things to an alchemy system using events.  I'll definitely start this as soon as I finish the pet system.

Weapon endurance... This could be a done easily with a script, I'm not going to lie.  But it would also be very easy to do with events.  However;  without changing the default scripts, I don't know how to change the durability of the weapon during a basic "attack"  but using skills, you can change the endurance, and then eventually break the weapon.  However;  it would be kind of a pain to break a weapon that is still fixable.  But if you broke it for good, it would be pretty dang easy.

Horses, muchos easy.  Just need the graphics of you riding a horse.  A teleport spell is easy too.  All you have to do is record the player's x and y coordinates.  (I guess that would work more like a recall or hearthstone (WoW) that would send you back to where you set the spell at.)

Job class changing is simple.  And a screen to do it is just as simple if you have any graphics design skills at all.  I'm not sure what you mean by animations, but if you mean your character graphic, that's even simpler.

A HUD is a bit of a challenge because of how many different pictures you use.  I made a multiplayer system once that used two players with 10 health and 10 energy each.  This was easy to display on the screen, even though I had to make 40 different pictures.  One for each amount of health and energy.  There are a TON of HUD (hp and sp display) scripts out there that are very easy to use.  And usually you can download a demo so you can see exactly how to install the script.

I'm not sure what you mean by learning skills from weapons.  But I'm guess that when you're wielding a certain weapon, you have certain skills.  That's probably one of the easiest ones yet. 

Starting stats are pretty dang simple too.

So in essence.  I will suggest getting a script for a HUD (heads up display.) That's all.  Check out MOG's stuff.  Do a search.  I love his/her theme.  And you might even grab a script for the title screen, menu, and shop too.  They're all really pretty.  (They aren't just windowskins either.)

Okay.  One tutorial is done, but I have to ask some questions on it, because it is acting really wierd.

Wow, I'm impressed with how much this program can do! I'm gonna have so much fun lol. what about dialogue boxes? lol alright, get back to me once you finish that tutorial, I'm excited lol,
again, I really appreciate your help! I've got a shop, an inn, a room for the inn one more on the way, a church the events are working perfectly! :D all thanks to you :) thank you, I think I'm getting the hang of switches for real now XD

I can't wait to get further lol, it's actually funner than playing a game in a sense because you can control exactly what happens!  :grin:

EXACTLY!  You sound exactly like me.  *Aspiring game designer here*  : )  I'm done with the first tutorial, but for some reason it's REALLY blurry and crappy looking.  So I'm going to play around with it and see if I can get it to look better.  I'll upload it in less than an hour though.  I'm going to do a few of them, because it's a pain switching back and forth between computers. (My laptop doesn't get wireless internet.  My desktop isn't hooked up because there's a christmas tree where it's supposed to go.  (long story) So I use a different laptop for the internet and my laptop for rpg maker. lol  SO CONFUSING! )

LOL! Alright, no rush, yeah, that IS confusing lol. Okay, so I'm basically killing time by making the buildings and building my town and the npcs and the shops and inn and stuff lol. also the parallel process fires in the fireplaces and what not. SO MUCH FUN! lol. I'M IN CONTROL, it's nice hehehe.

lol.  Your fires don't need to be parallel process just so you know.  Just make sure you click on the "stepping animation"  (I think that's what it's called in VX... lol)

I'm going to upload the tutorial right now.  I'll go make a post with a text tutorial too.

1st post: haha! wow, you must have read my mind. I thought they had to be parallel process..oh wait, I said that didn't I? haha! how do you change the text color again?

2nd post: awesome I'll check it out right now :D I appreciate it.

Alright here it is, I'll try it too, it was under the sticky on this site:

Using the event editor add the "Change Actor Name" command (found on the third page).  Just select from the drop down which actor's name you would like to change.  For example, let's say Basil's.  You select Basil from the list, which would allow the player to input any name they wish.

Now to make it so dialogue/show text window's display the proper name - since you wouldn't want to change Basil to George and have the NPC's continue to call him Basil, add the following: \n
, where x equals the actor's number in the database.  Since we are dealing with BAsil, it would be "\n[2]".

Don't worry if a character isn't in your party, if Basil is not in your party "\n[2]" will still call his name.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.