Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Scripts HELP! How to activate!?

When I paste a script into the editor... how do I make it work? (read the instructions.. not helping.) Just in general, no script specifically, is there anything you have to do to activate it?

Scripts can be tricky.  For more help, you'll have to post in the RGSS Support about which script you need, or just post here which script it is.  Usually if it's a script for a battle system, you have to set up somewhat of a complex series events to get the enemies to attack you and such.  Visual scripts, like menus and HUDs usually don't take anything to activate them, unless you have to use a snippet. 

Zeriab

Sponsor

The most common way is to paste it just above main for XP and the allocated area for VX. (Make a new section with Insert)
Some scripts are simply plug 'n' play meaning you don't have to do more.
Others you'll have to read the instructions to figure out how to configure the script to work for your game.

There are naturally exceptions. These must be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

That's really all I can tell without further knowledge.

*hugs*

well i know how to activate the script to ff 7 styled menu all you do is find it
copy it
g to main al the ways at the bottom of the script menu
u should see a ctagory that says main and go to line 1 press enter
then you paste the script at the top of main and it should work......and if it doesint then i dont think i should be helping

Lol, Beat.

Drerius, this is one of those things that someone can't just teach you through the forum.  I've been working with RM for over two years now and I STILL haven't learned enough about scripting to do anything of use.  The most I can do is change the title menu and the pause screen.  If you really want to learn scripting, just get in there and start reading the default scripts to see how they fit together.  If you have a question about a certain script, you'll have to ask in the RGSS forum (That's the scripting forum) or, just follow the instructions.  Just know that any new scripts USUALLY go right above main, and below everything else.  Unless the script changes an existing script as well, then you'll have to go deeper to figure out which one and what about it you need to change. 

Scripts are like the bones of RMVX/XP and events are the skin and other external features. lol.  So if you want to change the way the game works, you'll have to tweak the bones around, or make new ones so you can change the figure all together.  Or you can just manipulate the skin enough to make the person/game look completely new.  ie. plastic surgery.  But sometimes, instead of doing complicated external procedures, it's easier to just move one of the bones around, or just throw a small one in to make the work simpler.  Maybe that little analogy helps.

WOW! That's actually a really great analogy! jeez lol, I understand perfectly! :D

I understand analogies easier lol.

Thanks!

I really want to do some cool stuff with scripting to make a unique look to my game and menus and stuff, but I don't want to ruin my data, lol, how do I make a backup?

Thanks! :D

Well....  First of all, do you have any experience in programming languages?  C++ or anything like that?  Because if you don't, it'll be hard to actually do anything major aside from editing old scripts if you don't have any experience.  Like I said, I've been a dedicated RM fan for 2 years and I've never really even gotten deep enough into scripting to worry about it.  I just use other people's scripts.  But hell... maybe it's time I started trying to learn huh?

Anyway, open your game folder and find the root folder (The one that says Project2 I'm guessing)  Just right click and copy and paste it. Then name one of them Test or something, and you can do anything you want without messing up the latter game.

Well, that is a GREAT website for learning basics.  But I think you should really master events first.  Eventing is a lot of logic and without logic you'll never grasp scripts.  And besides that, making your game look good can all be done with events anyway.  I made a skill select screen using all events once.  You just have to learn to use pictures is all.

But it can't hurt to know how the scripts work.  So keep at it.

If it's events you want to learn then I'd suggest having a look at Punk's event systems - they aren't really useful in a practical aspect but for learning what things do then having a look through them and tweaking them can help.

Alright I will try the demo I'm downloading it from your favorite site haha, megaupload right now :)

@Wyattina: thanks, I'll have a look to better familiarize myself with them so I don't forget eventually

Thank you both! :D

I also just downloaded a program called hypercam for taking videos of your screen, and I plan on making some videos for youtube, along with text tutorials that I'll post up in the tutorials section.  I'll take it slow and make more and more advanced ones as I go.  I'll pm you the link when I've got one finished.  I think you should definitely start with events and see what you can do there before you move on to scripts.  They're a little out of reach from what you know at the moment.  Once you've really grasped how to use events, then you'll understand what scripts are for, and how to implement them into your games correctly.  

Wyatt's one of the best scripters on this forum (in my opinion.)  If he can help you out with scripting then take advantage of it! lol.  But again, in my opinion, you should stick with eventing a decent game until you actually understand switches and variables.

Alright, that sounds great, thanks, I'm looking foreward to your tutorials.

hmm.. how do I make a cutscene when my newgame starts? like... black screen with text telling the prologue? and pictures? that's gonna be cool if I can figure it out, actually it's essential to starting my story IMO I need it, and I'd like to do it.

I hope you can help, thanks :)

Okay, that's pretty simple.  It's all done with events, and since this is a script help request, I'm going to start my tutorial out with that so we don't get TOO far off topic.  Maybe I'll just do a tutorial for every part of making a fully evented game until I have an interesting, yet... very simple game.

Meh.  I'll go start recording and I'll post soon.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.