Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Quintessence: The Blighted Venom

Quintessence - The Blighted Venom

Taylor

Sponsor

Wow, this is really looking like it has progressed a lot. I ought to download the next demo and get back to making my enormous posts of obscure bugs only I find somehow through messing about. :B

... I'm still stuck at the clock puzzle in chapter 2 in the Chapter 1-8 demo. . _.

I also recall making a list of bugs for that demo, but when I posted it on some forum the thread later vanished. D8 (And I didn't save the .txt file... ) Guess I'll have to re-review it.

Heya Jirby! And ah, are you sure the last one you played was Ch 1-8 demo? o: I can't remember for sure, but I think the clock puzzle first came out in the Chap 1-9 package (which actually had a logical bug that made normal mode unsolvable that has been since fixed, hah). And ouch, where did you make the thread at?

I downloaded the game today and started chapter 2 and think the story is great and the characters are really deep with personality. Also, the mapping and music just adds to the experience.
The only thing I don't like is the battle system but thats not a huge part of this package.

This game kicks ass. I played it a year ago and loved every minute of it. That was until the deer-hunting game, which I NEVER PASSED!! :'(
So to this day, I haven't seen anything past that part lol.

What you have to is corner him, with the trap on one side, he won't jump over the trap. Then you need to maneuver Reivier and Vikon so that they occupy the two spots on the other side of the corner. The dear has nowhere to jump then, and you move whoever's closest to the deer over to the deer spot. He'll run into the trap then.

If you need to, spend a minute or so exploring the map, so you know exactly where the board ends and where all the spots are. That would make it a lot easier to figure out how to corner him.

JoRu

This is absolutely the best RPG Maker-game I've played to date and I've played alot of RPG Maker-games, including commercial ones and this beats the crap out of them. I'd pay for it if I had to since I personally think it's better than many truly professional games out on the market made by big companies. It's instantly recognizable as a RPG Maker-game so it loses a little of its value there but in terms of story, dialogue and general game & map design this is on par with some really great RPGs on the market.

It doesn't feel innovative as a RPG (similiar storylines has been made, you know) even though some of the minigames for example are really fun and original, but it isn't really necessary when everything in the game feels so good. That this isn't commercial is a mystery for me, if I were to make such a high-quality game I'd definitely charge for it. Thanks for a great gaming experience, you deserve alot of praise for this.

I started chapter 7 now. I couldn't believe the events that happened at the end of chapter 6. The story is really amazing so far. I can't imagine how people were waiting for new chapters being released having to wait that long between each cliff hanger. It's good that I got chapter 1-10 all at once, lol.

JoRu":2q3l49qi said:
This is absolutely the best RPG Maker-game I've played to date and I've played alot of RPG Maker-games, including commercial ones and this beats the crap out of them. I'd pay for it if I had to since I personally think it's better than many truly professional games out on the market made by big companies. It's instantly recognizable as a RPG Maker-game so it loses a little of its value there but in terms of story, dialogue and general game & map design this is on par with some really great RPGs on the market.

It doesn't feel innovative as a RPG (similiar storylines has been made, you know) even though some of the minigames for example are really fun and original, but it isn't really necessary when everything in the game feels so good. That this isn't commercial is a mystery for me, if I were to make such a high-quality game I'd definitely charge for it. Thanks for a great gaming experience, you deserve alot of praise for this.
That's because most of the RPGs on the market currently suck balls. Eternal Sonata!? What is that garbage!? And shushy about Quintessence being commercial! :O Don't put that into Reives head!

Ah, sorry for the late response. Thanks very much Jerry, azrith, JoRu and MC. Glad you're enjoying it, I really appreciate it.
Reiv_Smile.gif

The battle system is rather shaky, and very badly designed in the aspect that its difficulty is extremely inconsistent from person to person. I'm hoping to come to a solution with it soon - but for now, the plan is to provide a difficulty selection interface that may affect things like damage and enemy movement speed. Might take a while to implement though, heheh.

And no worries JoRu, this'll stay free. c:

Thanks for the quote, KRoP! And if you're still stuck, MC, here's one step-by-step solution that "silversun" posted on the project's home forum:
silversun from [url=http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=396.15 said:
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=396.15[/url]":2gj9fntx]I have a step-by-step explanation for the buck, it's foolproof!

1- Position Reives to the right of the deer.
2-Switch to Vikon.
3- Have Vikon lay a trap to the left of the deer.
4- Position Vikon just beneath the deer.
5-Have Vikon run toward the deer.
6: Position Reives in the northwestern corner.
7-Have Vikon take the trap.
8-Have Vikon lay the trap to the left of the deer.
9-Position Vikon just below the deer.
10-Have Vikon run toward the deer.
11-It's caught!
LMSing.gif
Kardian_Smile.gif

12-Enjoy/get annoyed by cutscene.
13-Save.

Oh and Jerry, hm. . . This is awkward, but. . . Chapter 10 isn't the last one, and you'll still end up hitting a cliff hanger. :c But the good news is that the next chapter is coming out next month!

Yeah, I know that there is going to be 14 chapters. I have to wait for the rest patiently like everyone else now, lol.
Looking foward to the next release after I finish chapter 10.

Next month it is? Awesome that is before my vacation. I was a bit afraid I'd be one of the last to play it. Especially after that chapter 10 cliffhanger.

Wow, I never knew that puzzle was so complicated :shock:. I always thought all you had to do was corner the deer and make it run into the trap but it always jumped over the characters so I was like ZOMGWTF!?

How does everyone keep passing the deer puzzle!? I'm freakin' dying to move on from this annoying-ass puzzle! AAhhhhhh!! Reives, could you send me a save file for the part after the deer puzzle? It's apparent that there's no hope for me.

KRoP":21gn7w3z said:
What you have to is corner him, with the trap on one side, he won't jump over the trap. Then you need to maneuver Reivier and Vikon so that they occupy the two spots on the other side of the corner. The dear has nowhere to jump then, and you move whoever's closest to the deer over to the deer spot. He'll run into the trap then.

If you need to, spend a minute or so exploring the map, so you know exactly where the board ends and where all the spots are. That would make it a lot easier to figure out how to corner him.
I already posted this for you, MC. Please read more carefully kthxbai.

So I downloaded this game last night and started playing it. I got to the beginning of node one (I think that's what it was) before I was too sleepy to continue playing. Excellent game from what I've played. Probably the best game I've played made with RMXP so far, and I'm just at the beginning.

I'm gonna continue playing it now.

Edit: Okay, played a little more. Still awesome, the deer part was cool. The thing is, when the part where the guy runs by yelling "THEY'RE COMING, THEY'RE COMING" and you walk back to your house, it froze right there. Your uncle still moves around and so do the animals, but my character can't. I dunno what happened, but now I have to do the deer part again.

Guys, I have an announcement to make...

I FINISHED THE DEER PUZZLE!!!

I finally got to Chapter III and, I have to say, the story went in a very different direction that what I had expected, which is more of a bad thing than good for me. Still an excellent story, just not what I thought it would be.

I'm just glad I got that damn deer thing over with, though! :D

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.