Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Quintessence: The Blighted Venom

Quintessence - The Blighted Venom

Pokemaniac":1lmh17k3 said:
I beat this chapter. The underwater part was good, but hitting the squids was difficult since you couldn't hit the top half. Also I didn't realise what you were meant to do with those special squids but maybe it was explained if you went down the middle path. (Which I completely missed XD)

The story is moving a bit too slowly IMO - It was entirely backstory except the cliffhanger. I did like Vikon's lines though. =P

Also, it's been a while since I played, but
Isn't the person in the cloak meant to be a secret still? Because I swear Reives called him "him" at one point which would make him either a new character or that little boy from Lunair's past, wouldn't it?

The person in the cloak is actually Reives wife i think since i never played quinessence since i completed chapter 10.

I love this game, too.

Pressing a single button for hours on end, eagerly anticipating those five seconds of real interaction with the game, wherein I move the character into a glowing red arrow.

Best game ever. Final Fantasy VII? Child's play. Ocarina of Time? Nothing next to this. The Orange Box? More like the orange COCK.

This is almost as good as Atlanta Nights.

While this post actually does raise a legitimate point (too little gameplay), this falls on the side of flame-baiting, not critique. You're more than welcome to tell Reives what's wrong with his game, and you don't have to fall over yourself to be nice about it, but try to be more constructive in the future. The dripping sarcasm is unnecessary. ~Perihelion

@Pokem:
Heheh yeah, I need to fix up those squids' heads. The person in the cloak is still a "secret" (quoted because despite not officially announced, there's an highly likely candidate). Reivier referred to him as "him" because while cloaked, in general you can still tell the gender through voice, body and the like; and he's had a few close encounters with him.

I think the story's flow did have some trouble in this chapter. The general consensus has been that there's been a lot of time spent on revealing plot points, but much less time developing the characters in detail. When I get to fixing the chapter up, I'll probably try to insert more spotlight on the individual characters' vacillations more for this round.

@Goldbar:
It's really okay to post negative feedback on your own account (though preferably constructively without the attempt to insult), there's no need to register a new account just to tell me that. I understand your frustration - it can be mind-boggling to see something that is out of the list of what you enjoy to receive attention. I've been there, and it tastes bitter. But I hope that you can just accept it for what it is: a strange mix of putting on a show with the medium of a "game".

When I picked up RPG Maker, I had the specific intention to not make a game, but rather to see a story that I was writing on a visual and audio medium - and RM was simply the most feasible way. I've always stated that this project is not that of a typical game but an interactive show, and I hope people can see for themselves whether this strange mix is for them. I hope you can understand!

@Kiriashi & Moogle:
No worries, it's not Serai for sure. They co-existed on the same map at the beginning of Chapter XI. c:

I uploaded a video of playthrough for a portion of the underwater level in Chapter XI. In the process I did find that I ran into problems that the feedbacks have been echoing, mainly about the lack of directions and difficulty (this was recorded on Easy mode). I'll be trying to fix that when I get the chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNEOPUGpfXg

Actually, this is my first account on this site; a friend of mine from a site I actually am a member on linked me to this topic. I was just bored and wanted to see what your fans would say.

Your arrogance does entertain me a bit, don't get me wrong--Heck, I might even start bugging you on RMXP.net (if I haven't already). I'm tickled by the fact that you think I'm concerned with your opinion of me to the point that I have to make an alternate account to say what I think. I'm not worried about it, but you evidently care enough to try to condescend under the wrong impression, which made that worth my while.

Goldbar":1r492u68 said:
Actually, this is my first account on this site; a friend of mine from a site I actually am a member on linked me to this topic. I was just bored and wanted to see what your fans would say.

Your arrogance does entertain me a bit, don't get me wrong--Heck, I might even start bugging you on RMXP.net (if I haven't already). I'm tickled by the fact that you think I'm concerned with your opinion of me to the point that I have to make an alternate account to say what I think. I'm not worried about it, but you evidently care enough to try to condescend under the wrong impression, which made that worth my while.
You're absolutely allowed to post blunt critique, but it needs to be constructive (i.e. the point should be to point out his problems so he can fix them), and the point of your post was clearly not to help him fix his game--it was, as you said, to bait his fans. I'm gonna have to ask you not to do that in the future.

Why so much off-topicness in this awesome game's topic?

Reives: how did you come up with the character names?

(I'm still playing through the games.)

Hey, some nifty Halloween theme going on here!

Sorry for the idleness here lately, it's been chaotically busy lately, so I just resided at Freebird for the most part. Things are looking lighter now, so I'm hoping to be around more. As for the character names, Kiria, I'm not really sure - they didn't really have specific meanings or whatnot, as I'm not a believer in names with meanings that magically match the characters. They're simply made up based on how happy I was with how they sound.

Here's a Freebird podcast:
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=1900.0":2eon04mk said:
Freebird Games podcast #1:
http://freebirdgames.com/sounds/FreebirdPodcast1.mp3 (~5 minutes long.)

Content:
Code:
-Community contest

-Forum Etiquette

-Upcoming releases

-Chapter 1-11 combined package

-Future plans for the underwater mini-game

-Lullaby song

-NPC cameo appearances – you can appear in Quintessence

Stardale's Podcast Announcer audition thread:
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=1800.0

Cameo character sign-up thread:
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=866.0

Happy Halloween everyone!

The new Chapter 1 - 11 package is now out. If you played the exclusive chap 11 standalone file, this version contains an additional scene (save file prior to it is provided). We are now also using a proper setup file.

Cheers!

Can someone please tell me what to do in the winter carnival? I've done all the games, including the scary cave.... Bought all 3 teddy bears, and done the tiger bit, retrieved the Sheriff's hat, but i can't work out what to do from there.... I've been in that area for over an hour, and everytime i approach the entrance it says that we just got there.... -sigh- Please help ASAP.... Thanks.... :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.