Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Quintessence: The Blighted Venom

Quintessence - The Blighted Venom

Hey, Reives, what font did you use for the design of Quintessence's title? I may want to use it. Unless, of course, you designed it and don't want anyone else to use it.

Hey There....

Am A Newbie To This Forum, But My Boyfriend Introduced Me To This Game, And I Loved It, It's A Awesome Story, And I Can't Wait For Chapter 10 To Be Released.... Any Idea How Many Chapters You Might Do? And Do You Plan On Making Another Game As Good As This One, When You've Finished It?

BuBbLe-ToEs

man, this game is the best game made by RPG maker I have ever played and probably will ever play! It makes me want to cram my game in the trash :cry: . Anyway easy 10/10 and I've been checking every other day for chapter 10, I'm really looking forword to it. Infact the story is so good that sometimes I wish , even though the battles are so fun :thumb: , I could skip a couple battles just to see the next part! You make it feel like a movie, not a RPG :). One more thing, your games are great and think if you made another this good you could sell it for a good amount of money ( for a game made with RPG maker anyway :biggrin: )

Heheh, thanks for the overly flattering words ya two. Glad you enjoyed it. Chapter 10's been unacceptably slow this time around mostly due to a side project (but that's finished a couple of month ago) and stuff. Hopefully it'll be out soon. c: Here's another little preview screenshot that doesn't really say much:

C10L.jpg

And there are 14 chapters in total, Bubble. I have a couple of other "games" lying around here, one is called The Mirror Lied and the other is Do You Remember My Lullaby - they are direct opposites of each other and neither are exactly Quintessence-esque, though.

~

I uploaded some videos of the updates intro and stuff not too long ago, thought I might as well as post them on here:

[*v the on-page videos below may take a bit to appear.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEkW-UYPie8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzeRMbkvJCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB-EEr3hceg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfWc0-nTdgg

Hey There....

Me Again, Lol! Downloaded Both Your Short Stories, And Played Them.... Loved Them Both.... Lol!

The Mirror Lied Was Very Good, Kept My Interest, And Did The Job Of Leaving Me Questioning What Could Have Happened At The End.... Was Very Funny, I Ended Up Being Tense And Enthralled By It, Wondering What Was Going To Happen.... Well Done! :D

Do You Remember My Lullaby Was Beautiful, Sad, And Sweet.... I Felt A Sort Of Connection To It.... Almost Made Me Cry, Lol! Am Such A Sook.... Hehe....

Anyways You Did An Awesome Job On Them, And Am Still Impatiently Waiting On The Next Chapter Of Quintessence, Just Like Alot Of Other People, Lol! I Am Keeping Watch As Much As Possible, Lol!

Anyways Thought I'd Let You Know What I Thought....

Byes..... :P

:~

Here's a little something for ya guys. I kinda made it spontaneously today after mapping the town (one that appears in Chapter 11 of Quintessence as well as Lyra's Melody's starting village).

For those who aren't familiar with Where's Waldo series, it's basically a large scene where you are to find certain character(s) from.
Should be pretty self-explanatory, so here it goes!:

[ Large file, around 5 MB. ]

Good luck finding everyone!

Ha h here they call it where's wally.

Fun but a bit simple:

wheresreives.png

Pfft what a cheap trik, still I would like to see another more challenging one!

I like the new screen shots!

also is the new "far off project" going to be set in the ame time/prequal/sequal to the events of Quintessence?

Heheh nice, Ultima. I'll be sure to make a harder one next time. :p Lyra's Melody isn't directly related to Quintessence; however you do visit its starting town at one point where the main characters from there are still children. I suppose you could take that Lyra's Melody's story starts when those children are grown up, hence after Quintessence, but all in all the two stories are not related and neither are the settings, aside from the starting town.

Look through 48 pages, have you been smoking crack? If it's not on the first page and it's not on the last page then it's usually not something being discussed. This ain't my first rodeo KRoP. I was simply asking a reasonable question.

Aye, it's a fair question. I think it was something about the fact that the existing parts of the project is still vulnerable to editions and revamps at a design level. c: Sorry for the late response!

Heya everyone! I am very excited here today to be able to tell you that we are only exactly one week away from a major launch: Chapter X, "Sleeping Angel" of <Quintessence - The Blighted Venom>, as well as our brand new and iimproved website under our official newfound label; "Freebird Games".

FBG.png

Date: Saturday, May 16th, 2009

1. Freebird Games website preview:

Our new website, http://www.FreebirdGames.com, will provide a much needed vast improvement from the current site! It will provide a convenient and clean support for all of our titles, as well as a professional layout and display for fanarts and other medias. And to those who have submitted fanarts which have not yet been put up due to the upcoming (this) website upgrade, they will be up with the new launch. :reivsmile:

2. Chapter X: "Sleeping Angel"; <Quintessence - The Blighted Venom>

mr0.jpg

Well, it's been the most ridiculous delay in the project thus far due to numerous unexpected factors (including the production of "Do You Remember My Lullaby"). But I am happy to say that after half a year, Quintessence is now back on track, and Chapter X is finally up and ready!!

mr1.jpg

Not only that, the entire game has received several notable mechanical improvements that have been demanded by you! Including:

• [li]Auto-Save
    We understand that the heavy cut-scene nature of the game creates a frustration of having to watch for long periods of time without the ability to save. And now, there is a solution. Our new auto-save function keeps one designated slot with an up-to-date save, at the beginning of every map - even (and especially) during cut-scenes! This way, you will always have a warm and fresh save file that's mostly just a minute from the point of exit, even if the power goes out.[/li]
    [li]Auto-Save Archives
    Ever had a particular scene somewhere that you wanted to watch again, but didn't have a close save file to go from? From May 16th on, Quintessence will contain an archive folder that collects save files that are automatically generated at the beginning of notable cut-scenes, of upwards of ~5 save files per chapter. These records will be conveniently named after their respective chapter and the scenes' key words, and can be simply copied over to the main game folder to be loaded.[/li]
    [li]In-Battle Transformation Improved
    Lunair's in-battle transformation system will now effectively pause the battle and actions, so you can thoughtfully and carefully select your desired form in peace without being bitten on the tail.[/li]
    [li]Intro Smoothened
    We've realized that we went overboard with the game-play complexity and difficulty in the revamped intro last release, and it is now mended accordingly. The intro is now shortened and much less confusing, which should provide a much smoother entrance to the project's main focus of story. So if you know someone who attempted Quintessence and gave up due to the difficulty of the intro, let them know that we heard their feedback and spearheaded into fixing the problem for them![/li]
    [li]NPC #26 in Aeria is now wearing a red hat instead of blue.
    Fixed.[/li]

And now, some more info on Chapter X:

mr2.jpg

Length: ~1 hour 20 minutes.

While Chapter IX was somewhat vanilla, Chapter X is more progressive as far as story goes. It, like most of the chapters, is cut-scene heavy with some game-play to the side. However, our new auto-save and save generator functions should accommodate it well.

The pace of the chapter is mostly mild and mellow. However, as it reaches a climax towards the end, there are a chain of critical heavy action sequences - something that hasn't happened since Chapter 6. I personally feel that they're some of the best scenes in the game thus far, but you be the judge.

The battle system does make an appearance again in the chapter. However, it doesn't happen for a while. But when it does, remember that the new Bear form is now available to Lunair! While it is quite slow and lacks variety in attacks, it gains a bonus of +500HP - that's more than double the human form's HP, and acts as a great tank.

And lastly, I'll leave a few more preview screenshots:

mr3+.jpg

Thank you very much for your time reading! Again, the release/launch date is Saturday, May 16th. Tell someone you know who has played Quintessence about it! Oh, and drop by the Quintessence forum the night before if you could, we might have a pre-launch I-sketch event or something. :~

Cha!

-Reives/Kan

The news on this real update looks very good.
I think this auto-save function will be very helpfull and I know I will use the Auto-Save Archives
to check out some of the pervious cut scenes.
As for the intro perviously being difficult, i never really noticed but I will see whats been changed.

Looking forward to the 16th.

Thanks guys.
The previous intro's game-play flood was a bit awkward, and some mechanics were badly designed as to be extremely easy to some but frustrating for others; a big no-no for an intro before the story even begins. What's done this time around is that some components have been pushed back to Chapter 14 (e.g. the floating puzzle and the stone golem puzzle fight), and the first crescent puzzle have been eased a bit. The aim is to just give a sense of interactivity and accomplishment, and get right into the start of the story. c:

Sadly the birds on the page is not animated. :p I'm too incompetent in that department to do it, heheh.

P.S. Oh, the battle system is also now notably less laggy.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.