Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Quintessence: The Blighted Venom

Quintessence - The Blighted Venom

:) Hope you guys like it.

P.S. I just found a bug: During Chapter 1 right after the intro, when you are in the Kitchen, you have to wait for 2 seconds before talking to Mella; or she gets stuck due to some movement issues. It's fixed now and will be included in the next fix patch; but just keep that in mind for now.

And again, don't forget to save often! :D

Edit: Ugh, found some embarrasing mapping mishaps. Try to ignore them for now.

All right. I just finished playing through chapters 1-3. The intro credits were very nice-looking and professional. Your storytelling ability shines, yet again, especially at the end of the third chapter. I liked how you kept going back to the conversation between Reivier and Serai and finally revealed the entire exchange at the end. It made it that much more powerful. The scene with Kaire at the end was touching as well.

Kudos to you for creating an entire battle system using events. The battle music was catchy and enjoyable to listen to. The battle system is definitely unique but I would have liked more control over character movement. It just seemed a little awkward at times. And sadly, you took away one of the very things that I love about rpgs. Leveling up! Where are my experience points? Okay, I'll calm down. But the lack of character growth via battles makes me want to avoid battles all together. But perhaps this will be addressed in a different way later on.

I liked the brief intro before the title scene the first couple of times that I saw it but after about the third time, I was ready to bypass it altogether. It would be a nice addition to have the player be able to access the titlescreen immediately with the press of a button.

Congratulations for being able to create and post not one, but two more chapters in such a timely manner. You do know that you have set a precedent now and we will be expecting chapter 4 by the end of the week. All kidding aside, you have created a wonderful story-driven project that is sure to please. Looking forward to your next installment.

**EDIT**
One more tiny thing: I've noticed that you use the ellipses thought bubble quite a bit. It begins to lose its effectiveness after a while.

Thanks very much for the feedback, Alexia!

As for the battle system's leveling up feature, I did slack off entirely on that. :D;; Mainly due to time, and also due to that since the only current battle scenes are located in Chapter 3, there wasn't much of a point to level up for now. But! I'll be sure to implement the feature in the future for sure!

Oh, and could you give me any suggestions on the character movement? I'm not really sure what to do with that, heheh.

And lastly; hahah, I do know what you mean with the map scrolling before title scene, it started to bug me as well. I think in the future, I'm going to enable a skip feature by pressing Esc. That should still allow the intro to be viewed and skipped when desired.

Thanks again for the detailed feedback! The next installment, however, might be progressed at a slower rate since I'll have to start looking for a job now. Ah well, it'll come.

[Edit: Ellipses thought bubble is the '...' one right? Mm, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try to add in some more emotion bubbles later for variety.]

I'm not sure what you could do about the character movement. It might just be the lag on my computer. The dash option did help, though.

gummihu;227086 said:
I'll give you one thing, if nothing else, you sure know how to advertise.

Quite true, but it worked and I'm very happy I downloaded and played(ing).

This is really a great game! I'm shocked, suprised, and happy. It's really good to see some really good projects emerging. I don't say this often, but there are aspects of your game that make me want to re-write some of the stuff in my project. Very polished and well thought out presentation. Some kind of training or natural skills with writing and presentation seem very evident. You have a fan!!! Is this really your first project? If so then great. I thought my first project Under was not half bad, but this one definatly takes the cake.

I played some of it!! Not done with chapter 1 lol but it is already awesome!! The mapping is wonderful and hardly any mistakes. But I may say that sometimes the words go off the windows so it cuts the words off, but everything else is ok so far!

I'm downloading it now, already played chapter 1 twice before but I'm gonna go through it again anyway.

...And I inspired part of your game, nice. :thumb:

Having people like Alexia, Calibre and The Man commenting positively feels like being a little baseball fan kid finally grew up to play with the stars, heheh. Thanks.

@Pirate
That text cut-off problem was due to the AMS script, I'll fix all of them next release. :) Good thing is though, from Chap 2. onwards, that problem shouldn't exist.

@The Man
It is my first project, but it has definitely been renovated as time went on.

Oh and again, Chap. 2 might be a little slow, but Chap 3 is better.

First of all, great job! :thumb:

But there is always room for improvement...There were many grammatical and spelling mistakes that were a bit distracting during some of the cutscenes. Grammatical mistakes are alright because in casual conversation people are going to simply communicate, not write a paper, but things like 'apologize' being spelled 'appologize' will really bug some players. You might want to find someone to proofread your dialogue before you release.

My only other major recommendation is to make a 'control graphic' displayed during the battles...or change the battle controls altogether. I found that there was almost no rhyme or reason to the control setup, I sometimes forgot which keys did what and I'd hit the wrong key...a good battlesystem will have a control scheme that feels natural and doesn't act as a roadblock between the player and what the player wants to do.

You might want to try a setup like this: Q/W scroll left and right through the playable characters (will there be more than 2 characters in a battle?), A is special skill, S is offensive skill, and D is basic attack...C as dash works well. That way there is a horizontal pattern to the control setup.

Character Switching -> Top Row
Skills and Attack -> Middle Row
Movement abilities -> Bottom Row

This would also organize the middle row (skills and attack), in order of highest energy cost from left to right. Special Skill, Offensive Skill, Basic Attack.

Anyway, these are just suggestions. Do with them what you will, and keep up the good work. =)

Great ideas!

The battle system is a little rushed, and I do see a lot of flaws in it as well. The key inputs change suggested are very organized though, so I think I'm going to make it like so.

Oh, on a side note, could anyone explain how the 'Button Input Processing' command works? It sounds useful, but I'm clueless.

Jaide

Oh wow. I haven't played it yet, but I'm blown away by the amount of effort that's been put into the first post as far as promoting the game goes. ^_^ And those screenshots! Gorgeous.

Reives;227369 said:
Oh, on a side note, could anyone explain how the 'Button Input Processing' command works? It sounds useful, but I'm clueless.

Well basically after you set the button input processing command, after that it just remembers the button that has been pressed and stores it in an assigned variable. The confusing bit is knowing which number relates to which key but there is a tutorial somewhere with that.

For example, this is how to make an image appear on the screen then hold it there until the enter key is pressed.

Loop

Button Input Processing Variable 1 "Key Pressed"

Conditional Branch : Variable 1 "Key Pressed" = = 13

Break Loop

Branch End

Repeat Above

EDIT:

DOWN = 2

LEFT = 4

RIGHT = 6

UP = 8

A = 11

B = 12

C = 13

X = 14

Y = 15

Z = 16

L = 17

R = 18

From Raziels Tutorial.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm now on chapter 3 and to be honest the battle system is the first part I havent really enjoyed, it is very impressive you made it through events but I found it to be a bit random. I'll give you a full breakdown when I complete it. Chapter 2 was not boring at all for me, it may seem boring to you because you know the story already but for me it was really engaging.

Full Review soonish.

I haven't had much time to play this... But I finally completed it today.
What can I say... awesome ^_^
I really enjoyed playing it. The story is amazing, I could never think up something like that. I'm really wondering how you have the story written down, because in the game, there are so many details and... ah I can't really describe it ^^

Anyways good work, can't wait to see what comes next.
Btw can you give us a little hint? How long is the story / how many chapters will there be?
Thanks ;)

See you :)

@Jaide: Thanks. :)

@Calibre: Ahh thanks for the explaination, that helps a lot.

Sorry that you didn't enjoy the battle system. I think one of the main concerns I had with it while playing is the lack of control, especially after playing turn-based battles or step-by-step ABS.

Speaking of which, I found that it's also difficult to learn at first (James, the lead composer, just came over and tried it, he got owned even with me telling him what to do :( ). In addition to improving it (in which I'd try to take the suggestions of you and others), I will definitely try to make the learning curve much lighter and easier to understand.

Looking forward to your review!

@Zealex:
Glad you liked it. :) As for the hint, do you just mean a hint to how long the story is or what's happening next?

I can tell you now that the story's just started.

Edit: To anyone who's thinking of DLing this, please wait for an hour or so of this post; I'm uploading a newer version that fixes some little glitches, as well as adding the visual key names for battle skill icons now.

Actually Reives you are right, after I picked it up it became more enjoyable and even more impressive than you did it all with events. It's still not ideal in my opinon however and at times its a bit hit and miss. I often found myself hitting the enemy but none of their HP was reduced, I also didnt make contact at all when I should have. Once you know how to heal properly it becomes easy because the SP regenerates quickly enough to use it every 30 seconds or so. Its still really impressive though.

other +'s and -'s.

Positives - It could well be the most interesting story I have played through in an rmxp game and it is at times genuinely funny. There are plenty of twists all the time to keep me on the edge of my seat. Nice touches with the hair animation in the wind for reivier - didnt look so good for the girl. Memorable characters - everyone of them is unique and I know them all by their names already which is a positive, they were so strong they made me forget the faces were made with facemaker altogether.

Less negatives more niggles...

Mapping errors, passability errors and priority errors all present and I odnt usually even spot these in others games.

Spelling as mentioned beofre is off a fair few times.

There were a few things I think you overdid. Alexia suggested you overdid the ... animation but I think you perhaps used both the "Face" thing and at times the use of flashbacks too much. Sometimes reivier was having flashbacks of something that happened like 2 minutes before which makes other flashbacks less impacting.

In summary though, its one of the most enjoyable experiences I have played in an rmxp game, story is better than gameplay currently, your characterisation is top notch.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.