Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

HELP NEWBIE ><;!!

Well,I'll go strait to the point...I need help,loads of help...and preferable a patient teacher(s) to help me out ><;.

I've got these amazing story lines in my head (working on three projects at the moment),I don't really need mapping advice,I already know how to make maps.

But my problems are the events...I need some basic info on how to use them and preferable some examples that shows their function.You'll probably say: There are tutorials!!-Or even- check and re-check....well,no...coz if my natal language would've been English and if I was an expert in ICT,than I wouldn't have been asking for this + its allot easier for newbies like me (bunny brains,in other words) to interact with people that have loads more experience than me AND a lot more patience than me too,than watching a tutorial,that doesn't even answer the popping questions at that moment.

so,yeah...help please ^^;?

Here's my problem, I don't know how to use those event buttons.
Even simple stuff like making a chest is a world war for me with those buttons,I really need help and a patient person to give me that.

If someone of you would be so nice to explain me,these basic tree things,I owe you guys allot!!(+ I like testing games and help people make it even beter):

the tree basic things are: >>> the weather (I already succeeded in making it sound like rain,but not making it look like a rainy weather,or even letting it rain --;)

>>> How to make a simple chest quest

>>> making cut scenes

I've got more questions but I'll start with these ones first.

Anybody,help?

You, uh, haven't been able to increase the size of the picture by changing the zoom to the size of the screen? By increasing the Zoom X and Zoom Y to 2000% or so?

Because I just tested it. It works fine.

Like this:

ZoomPicture.png

Also, what command were you using to change BGM?

...could you post a screenshot of your event code, please?

The size of the picture does matter-- you can only expand it by a factor of 20, so an icon-sized picture won't cover the entire screen. It doesn't take that big of a picture to cover the screen that way, though.

I don't see anything wrong with the code that you have posted, and am frankly mystified as to why it wouldn't work. You don't have any parallel-process events changing the background music running, do you?

...um yes,I'm afraid I do otherwise it keeps raining ^^;...and about the pics,I'll try to keep figuring out the mystery,I'll post when I found out what I did wrong...thx,anyway ^^!Oh,and do you maybe know how to make an opening?
You know,once upon a time blabla...and then we start the game...

thx for the loads of help you already gave me --;(I couldn't have gotten this far without it..)

Wait, what? It keeps raining...?

Look, would you mind posting the event code for any parallel-process events that you have running at the time? That's likely to be your problem, and I'm able to help most with screenshots posted.

But another parallel process event running is a major cause of problems.

Here's a quick diagnostic trick, BTW: Stop any parallel process events you've got, of any kind, from running as a test. See if the event runs the way that you want. If so, you've just isolated the source of the problem, and can figure out what you need to do to fix it. Or at least will only need to post a screenshot of one or two events for me to have a guess as to the problem...

well,someone told me I had to do that because it wouldn't show me rain,when I wanted it to rain...so he told me you have to pick parallell proces,and when I told him it rains everywhere in the game,he answered I ad to turn it of everytime I made a new map...

You shouldn't need parallel process for that.

I'd put one of these on every map that you want rain on:

RainEvent.png

That'll do the job-- it automatically starts the rain, then erases itself until the next time that you enter the map.

I leave stopping the rain as an exercise for the student.

Oh, and the reason that you couldn't change the background music is that one of your events was Parallel Process-- running over and over again, continually, forever-- that was changing the background music.

Try this version for everything.

... and if you want to have a default BGM for a map, it's an option in Map Properties-- right-click the name of the map in the map list to get this.

Of course two parallel processes would cause errors. And he would have known that had he read the tutorials I provided for him. Did you try setting the weather effects to none where you don't want it to rain?

Edit: (Oops, didn't mean to give him the answer Unka Josh.....)

hiromomiji":20qcqiaj said:
nope it rains everywhere --; and I knew about the map properties...^^;

Since you didn't seem to pick up on this, I guess I'll give you the answer to my exercise for a student:

Anywhere you don't want it to rain, post the same event, but set the weather effects to none.

See? Easy.

...so...I am so dumb and only had to press one little button...is that it T_T;?

...I really suck TT^TT then,

but I still don't understand and I'm probably pissing you guys of now (PS: If I was a guy,I think I wouldn't have succeeded in driving you nuts...therefore I think its the best moment to warn you...I'm a girl...-and you wouldn't be the first one that gets nuts thx to me...-)

so,yeah,I still don't get it coz,know my events are starting to block each other when I tried...

so,let me raison once more,...

the map I want to make it rain I have to erase the event at the same event page,right? (>>>> it still rains in the tent ^^;)

The other maps,if it starts to rain...I simply have to put weather effects to none...with what kind of trigger?Autorun? (>>>> it blocks ^^;)

I copied the same weather event,put weather to none,but screen stays looking dark and we still can hear rain + even if I delete the sreen and rain thingy...it stays.... --;

one phrase >>>> need help,got lost...again --;

What does your gender have to do with anything? I'm not seeing the relevance in a discussion of weather events. And I've seen worse n00bs.

I gave you a very simplified version, so let me be more clear, here:

Weather effects are the visual part where you see rain or snow or whatever on the screen. If you've changed the Screen Tone and/or added Background Sound effects, like rain, you'll need to remove those, too.

...although, now that I think about it, you might just want to turn the volume down on the BGS when you're inside the tent. Let's face it-- inside a tent, you can still hear the rain.

Anyway.

I'm afraid I do not understand what you mean by "Erase at the same event page." Any event can start or stop weather effects, BGS, BGM, Change Screen Tone, anything. There are no special rules here.

What trigger should you use? Autorun, probably. Just make sure that you have something that stops the event from running at the end of the commands.

I used "Erase Event" in the example that I posted because that will make the event run exactly once every time you visit the map, then stop... but start again if you leave and come back.

If you want the event to run once only and then stop-- a brief, sudden shower-- instead of "Erase Event", you'd end the code with "Control Self Switches: Self Switch A ON," and then create a second page for the event. The second page would have the Page Conditions of "Self Switch A ON," and otherwise, have a "Action Button" trigger, and do absolutely nothing.

You might want to work on clarifying your questions, though. I couldn't tell, from your first post, that you didn't want it to rain everywhere right away. If you explain clearly what you want, it's much easier to help.

Unka Josh is actually a pretty good teacher. He will teach people who are willing to learn. I am going to leave you alone with him from know on. It hasn't even been a month yet, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. You'll get this stuff in due time. If you ever actually want my input, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

joshuaalanhargreaves":3jzlttj9 said:
Of course two parallel processes would cause errors. And he would have known that had he read the tutorials I provided for him. Did you try setting the weather effects to none where you don't want it to rain?

Edit: (Oops, didn't mean to give him the answer Unka Josh.....)

see the blue color in quote?>>>he said he,that's why I started to say I was a girl,but thats not why I started this thread...

I only want to rain in one map, thx to you guys,I managed to stop the rain and screen color and changed the bgs in the tent and on the other maps,but I still hear rain...there were I don't want to hear rain,do I have to put an event on that map or is that a problem with the previous events --;?

and thx joshuaalanhargreaves,If I need extra help,I'll pm ^^!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.