Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

HELP NEWBIE ><;!!

Well,I'll go strait to the point...I need help,loads of help...and preferable a patient teacher(s) to help me out ><;.

I've got these amazing story lines in my head (working on three projects at the moment),I don't really need mapping advice,I already know how to make maps.

But my problems are the events...I need some basic info on how to use them and preferable some examples that shows their function.You'll probably say: There are tutorials!!-Or even- check and re-check....well,no...coz if my natal language would've been English and if I was an expert in ICT,than I wouldn't have been asking for this + its allot easier for newbies like me (bunny brains,in other words) to interact with people that have loads more experience than me AND a lot more patience than me too,than watching a tutorial,that doesn't even answer the popping questions at that moment.

so,yeah...help please ^^;?

Here's my problem, I don't know how to use those event buttons.
Even simple stuff like making a chest is a world war for me with those buttons,I really need help and a patient person to give me that.

If someone of you would be so nice to explain me,these basic tree things,I owe you guys allot!!(+ I like testing games and help people make it even beter):

the tree basic things are: >>> the weather (I already succeeded in making it sound like rain,but not making it look like a rainy weather,or even letting it rain --;)

>>> How to make a simple chest quest

>>> making cut scenes

I've got more questions but I'll start with these ones first.

Anybody,help?

butterflublock.jpg

voila,+ the B switch is just a blank event page

The Set Move Route there seems unnecessary-- if that butterfly isn't set to Through, it will block the player's movement as thoroughly as a ten-ton boulder. It's also the thing that's the most likely to be causing a problem.

Try deleting it.

thx,it worked^^!!
could you also tell me how we make a plain character say something and suddenly make another character appear and answer her question?
coz when I made one talk the other person doesn't appear and walk to her to answer her question only her text appears immediately and she stays invisible --;

Make a new switch. Name it whatever you want. Make a new event where you want the person to appear. Make a new event page and on the conditions, put switchxxx=whateveryounamedit on. Then, after the person asks the question, control switchxxx:whateveryounamedit = on. That will cause the character to appear.

That would work, but I haven't had any problems using Set Move Route, incorporating Change Graphic and Wait commands into the Move Route.

If anyone wants to see an example, I'll be happy to post a screenshot.

hiromomiji":3gkzlogh said:
I think I'll need an exampel on this one,again --;,sorry --;!

No need to apologize. Posting screenshots is ridiculously easy.

MoveRoute.png

Note that the circumstances of this event code force the player to stand in one particular spot. (I do have a more complicated version where the "Angela," or whoever, event is moved to the player's square.)

Also, while I didn't post a screenshot of the "Angela" event, there isn't much to see there-- it has no graphic, and is set to "Through," so that it can move through the player.

Let me know if you need to see the more complicated version.

How do we add facepics,with the texts?(for rpg maker xp)+ how do we make a map appear when you want to read a map chart --?
I also forgot to ask how to make an opening?+ making a cutscene with images...if you know what I mean --;

hiromomiji":2c6cz6rt said:
How do we add facepics,with the texts?(for rpg maker xp)+

Two ways: Advanced Message System scripts, like the one that I'm using in the project that I showed you a screenshot of. (Slipknot's letter-by-letter AMS, to be specific.)

Or just use Show Picture. Not perfect, clunky, but it does work.

how do we make a map appear when you want to read a map chart --?

Show Picture of the map. If you want the map to stay up and the game to pause until a button is pressed, all you need to do is have a blank Show Text command, and then erase the picture afterwards.

I also forgot to ask how to make an opening?+ making a cutscene with images...if you know what I mean --;

Start the first map with an Autorun event that shows whatever Text, Pictures, or whatever that you want. Don't forget to use a self-switch to turn it off when it's done.

There's a lot of complicated sub-questions and answers to that last one; you may want to make it a separate topic.

>>>> for... for... er ...to the person who's nickname is to long for me to remember ^^;(forgive me,I forgot --;I'll do my best remembering it,in my next post.)

umm...I've got a problem with your link ^^;...it's telling me something weird about database and it not recognising my i-can't-remember-what-again....er ^^; sorry --;

>>>> Unka Josh (sorry,if I wrote it wrong --;)

oh,alright...ummm...I don't know what to do actually,the first two thinks you explained --;
how do we "add" the pictures in the game...simply using import or...something else?Could you give me some screenshots,it helps me allot easier,I think --;

oh,and incoming question....how do we change the title again ^^;?

>>>> Unka Josh (sorry,if I wrote it wrong --;)

oh,alright...ummm...I don't know what to do actually,the first two thinks you explained --;
how do we "add" the pictures in the game...simply using import or...something else?Could you give me some screenshots,it helps me allot easier,I think --;

oh,and incoming question....how do we change the title again ^^;?[/quote]

Unka Josh is indeed who I am. Just ask my nephew Christopher...

Anyway, importing pictures is done in the materialbase. You can select it from a menu or just hit f10.

Then you hit Import, like this:

Importing101.png

As for Show Picture... uh, it's on the second page of event commands. Top command of the second column.

The instructions for adding a script will depend on the script-- you'll want to find one, first. These forums have a search function, which will make things easier.

If you instead want to show a character's face with event commands, here's how to do it:

Showfreakingpicture.png

If you want to show a big map on the screen, then erase it when the player pushes a button, it works the exact same way, except that you won't need to have any actual text in the textbox.

Changing the title of a game is accomplished with the "Change Title" command, which is found under the "Game" menu at the top of the screen.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this stuff is very, very, very basic.

I strongly recommend that you A) read the helpfile that comes with the game, and B) play around with all the commands just to see what they do.

okay, TT^TT*snif*

but I new how to import and I also knew how to show the picture...but it always appears small,and I want to let appear big F.e when a character is telling a story and while she does pictures appears,but nobody sees the map with the characters in the background any more...
and the face set,I'll try doing that but,does it show it's face in the text box itself --?and how do we make a picture appear the entire screen of the game --?...I tried but it keeps zooming and not enlarging...and I know I don't even know the basics,but I explained everything in my first post,I don't understand a thing from what the manual is trying to explain me... so sorry,if I'm in your eyes a complete moron but that's why I made this thread :down:

Ok, step by step:

You can control the size of a picture that you're showing. See where it says "Zoom"? You can use that to change the size of the picture that's displayed, including to the size of the screen.

The method that I used with Show Picture will show a picture above the textbox. If you want a picture inside the textbox, you will need a script, period.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Make a picture appear the entire screen of the game." What are you talking about?

I'm still not sure what you are talking about. You increase the size of the picture as big as you can... then what? I've used pictures somewhat larger than the gamescreen for certain events; I know that it can be done.

--;...that's my problem,I want my pics to be the same size as the gamescreen,but it only keeps zooming in at a very small size --;...+ the BGM doesn't want to change when I show the pics...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.