Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Final Fantasy VI SDK - Going Social!

I've fixed the multiple parties bug. It now validates properly and you should be able to enter multiple parties mode if you press ESC. Note that all parties must have at least 1 actor in it to be valid. Also I've uploaded Scripts.rxdata instead of the entire archive. Since most of the work I do is in this file and it's less than 300KBs, I figured it would be smarted to upload it and let you guys replace the is file instead of having to redownload the archive each time I make an update! :)

To do so just go in ProjectFolder/Data and paste-replace Scripts.rxdata there.

Also I have modified the Game_Party class a little bit to be able to set and clear specific party members slots. So if you want to remove actor in slot 3 whoever he is, you can now do it.
This feature will eventually be added to the Change Party Member event commend. Here's the list of functions and what they do now:
- Add Actor: Adds an actor in the first empty party slot.
- Remove Actor: Removes the actor from the party from wherever he was in the party. Does not change the order of the party anymore.
- Set Actor : Set an actor in the given slot.
- Clear Actor : Removes the actor in the given slot.

Have a good day!
- Dargor

I renamed the file in notepad & that worked.
But now when I load the game, Strago is blocking my path, and I'm unable to engage him, I get a message "nil".. I also tried moving him in the map editor & saving (with his new location), but once I save any changes, I'm no longer able to play the game. What did I do wrong?

Woops, Strago is a mistake, he should not be there. :) I'll remove him tonight. Meanwhile you could simply walk through him by holding the CTRL button down.
And what do you mean by "unable to play the game"? You get an error message? If so, could you post the message and/or a screenshot please?

Thank you!
- Dargor

wow thank you for the prompt response!
Holding cntrl to walk through Strago worked ;)

If I save any changes, and try to play again I get the error message; "The Specified Procedure Could not be found"

Oh I believe I know why this is happening. I had this issue on a friend's computer before. The latest version of RPG Maker XP will automatically replace the RGSS dll that is located in the game folder if it sees it's not the right one. The editor expects version 1.0.0.4 to be there which is not the case with the FF6SDK (I'm using version 3.0.0.1). So when you save in the editor, it will perform the check, notice it's not the right DLL and replace it with the "right one".

Now, Game.exe will look for the DLL with version 3.0.0.1 but won't be able to find it because RPG Maker just replaced it after saving.
There's a workaround but I don't like it:
- Save the project
- Go in the System folder (located in the game folder)
- Copy RGSS104.dll (which is actually RGSS300.dll that I have renamed so I could fool RPG Maker, but now it got all smart and stuff...)
- Copy it back into the game folder, replacing the one that's already there.
- Try starting Game.exe

I really don't like this workaround because you have to do it every single time you want to test the game.
Oh well, I guess I really have to put a bit more time and effort on the SDK Editor... Let me know if the workaround worked for you!

- Dargor

Dargor I am in a busy week right now, but I plan on doing some intensive testing of this project to try and pull out as many bugs for you as I can, will that be of any help for you?

That would be extremely helpful! That's precisely why I decided to upload the project on Sourceforge, I'd really like people to test it out and log everything they find in the ticket tracker. The current version is not even in Alpha stage yet so expect lots of bugs and a few missing features. The more people test and create tickets, the easier it is for me to see and track what needs to be done and I believe it will help me make progress faster.

Thank you very much!
- Dargor

Hey guys! Time for an update!

First I would like to inform you that there might not be another update in the next two weeks (less I hope). My computer was acting weird lately and I got a couple of blue screens of death until it was not able to boot anymore. But worry not, the SDK is fine and I lost nothing. I have many backups at 3 different places! I suspect my RAM is the culprit... So now I'm trying to fix my PC ASAP so I can get back to work!

Now the real interresting update! Last week I started implementing new interpolation functions to help with animating NPCs or any other kind of sprites. Up to now I've added linear, quadratic and circular interpolation and will add cubic interpolation as soon as I am able to.

For those who are unsure what these things do, it moves a sprite alone various kind of splines.
Linera Interpolation (AKA Lerp) moves a sprite on a straight 2-points line.
Quadratic moves it on a, usualy curved, 3-points (think Béziers curves).
Circular is, well, circular! It blend the sprite on a circle segment given a center and a radius.

The reason why I'm talking about this is because I'm working on implementing the movements in battle. So Bum Rush, Quadra Slam or anything that makes an actor move during battles will heavily rely on that kind of interpolation.

Also I would like to publicly thank Mortenkein ( a member on this forum and long time follower of this project). Last week he sent me an awesome gift, 210 sounds he ripped from the game! That was very generous of you! All these sounds will be available on the next update.

Beside that I noticed that the Colosseum was broken so I started fixing it and it should also be in thé next version.

That's pretty much it!
- Dargor

Seryll

This is amazing, and I will fully try and actively test this to further this as much as possible. Just wanted to say Kudos to all the hard work put into this.

//edit//
Dargor":1wclxjqf said:
I will also be using the same tileset format as in FF6, which is 16 tiles large (but they will be 32x32 px instead of 16x16 px).
- Dargor
I'm sorry if I'm making a suggestion someone else already has I haven't read the entire thread but, since we'll be using a larger sized tile, would anyone be opposed to the creation of maybe some high definition FF6 tiles?
//edit//

Cool. Would really like to see one that could handle other earlier FFs. Would like to recreate FFIII for the Famicom a la the 2d remake that never was.

Hey guys sorry for the wait.

Hi-Def tiles would definitely be possible, but I won't be doing it. If you guys want to pull that off, you are more than welcome!
I'm planning on buying all the parts I need for my new PC soon so hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks I should be able to get back to work.

Have a good one!
- Dargor

Hey Dargor —

It's been a bit since we heard from you. Just thought I'd check in and see how things were going. I'm still lurking around (of course) hoping everything is going well.

-- CB

Hello!

Sorry I've been so busy with work the past few weeks (months) that I barely had the time to touch my computer since my last update. I just bought a new one, it's now up and running but I won't be able to work on the SDK for the next 2 or 3 weeks. After that I'm taking a month of vacation and I'll be doing just that! I miss this project a lot and I'm sad that I couldn't get to work on it. Sorry about that. :(

I'll keep you guys posted!
(no, It's not dead!)

- Dargor

Dargor,

No problem at all. As long as you're alive and well. :)

So, I finally got around to downloading the SDK to try it out. (I'm a Mac person, so I got an old PC laptop to use for it.)

I'm getting the following error:

"Script 'Win32 'line 36: RuntimeError occurred. LoadLibrary: FF6SDK"

I looked at the previous page in which someone else mentions this error and you said to download the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, which I did. If it makes a difference, the computer is running Windows XP.

Thanks. Just eager to get the SDK up and working so I can start some things while you're working on the updates.

-- CB

Edit:
-- I am running Windows XP on a laptop that is probably around 4-5 years old.
-- I have RPG Maker XP v. 1.02a. I have renamed Game.rxproj in Notepad so that it says 1.02a instead of 1.04. I have RPG Maker VX Ace also installed, but in a separate directory.
-- I have downloaded and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable. I tried also "fixing" the installation just to be sure it worked correctly.
-- I have MSCV100D.dll in the root folder for the SDK. I also copied it to C:/Windows/System and C:/Windows/System32 just to be sure my system has it.

After trying all of that, I still get the same error message. It can't load the FF6SDK library. If there's anything else you want me to try, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

-- CB

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.