Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

CharaMaker XP Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! First time posting in rmxp.org, but I've been frequenting the place (from .net) for quite some time.

Anyway, I'm not sure how many of you use Character Maker XP, but it's a very handy tool in generating quick custom sprites. If you don't have it, here's a place you can get it:

http://files.filefront.com/character_maker_sxzipzip/;4278544;;/fileinfo.html

It's by Saphiro. There's a newer version I believe, but you have to do everything in .gif, and the interface gets on my nerves.

I digress. Anyway, I have nearly 500 parts to make your frankensprites, 99% of them cut, pasted, and recolored by me, Venetia. There are also some items from Andy6000. Credit him as well.

The others came with the maker, I believe. There may be a few I grabbed randomly, and if you see something that you did or something who you know should recieve credit, please tell me so I can give them credit.

Anyway, enjoy:

http://pixelcocktail.com/hosted_items/CharaMakerXP Resources.rar

:lol:

(edit: Ichabod put almost all the resources into the CharaMaker, saving you the time of doing it. Find it at http://files.filefront.com/CharacterMakerXPV15Rar/;5220979;;/fileinfo.html . The capes and eyebrows are missing, I believe, but otherwise it's a real time-saver!!)

Cool first off let me weclome you to rmxp. I'm M.Sam a local spriter. Anyways thats not important, but thank you so much for this because I've been looking for resources for Character maker xp and now I've finally got some. Lol well thanks alot. Lol Enjoi

M.Sam said:
I'm M.Sam a local spriter. ... I've been looking for resources for Character maker xp

Spriters don't use generators. :x

Although these bits and pieces might come in handy for some frankenspriting.

I remember something like this for 2k3 and that one was real uselful. Can't say I'll use it too much myself seeing how I started learning to sprite a couple of days ago, but I'm sure someone will make good use of it. Welcome.

You're welcome! I'm pretty good at spriting myself, but I like lots and lots of different-looking npc's, so it's much easier to pop out some frankensprites sometimes than custom-do every single one. Since I'm the only member of my production team, I gotta cut time somehow!!

;)

@Despain: I know that (I couldn't be considered a spriter if I used a generator), but I don't always feel like spriting every little sprite, I only make ones that I use as like main characters or something like that and these generators can make me a lot of npc's....sorry if there is was any confusion in that. Okay??? my bad. Enjoi

Lol I agree with despain about your site. Its pretty cool, but I don't care if the resources are stolen or not. And yes I did just say that. But anyways yeah your site's pretty cool. *Bookmarks* because if someone says something about me not giving them proper credit then I know who to credit. Lol I know thats lazy, but hey...what can I say???

M.Sam said:
Lol I agree with despain about your site. Its pretty cool, but I don't care if the resources are stolen or not. And yes I did just say that. But anyways yeah your site's pretty cool. *Bookmarks*
Oh, so you mean if I happen to use some of your custom sprites without creditting you at all, you won't mind?

Nope not really I wouldn't have a major problem with that. I would actually be happy because that means that somebody is actually using my work and that means that I'm doing something right. But don't worry I give credit to people for their work. If I didn't then that would make me a theif. And I'm no theif. But I wouldn't really mind if someone used something of mine. I ususally just do sprites just to do them. Its helping the community and thats all that really matters to me. But of course I am entitled to have my opinions... Enjoi

... Huh? I have many notices all over the place that say:

"If you see your resource here and are not credited, or wish for it to be removed, please visit the Contact Us page and let us know. Thanks!"

No one has come forward yet, and the site's been around a good, long while. My offer still stands. I feel rather bad for not crediting a few people whose things I put up and did not credit because I'd forgotten their names, but I genuinely hoped they'd see them and mention something.

If it really bothers you, I can take down the link to my site. I'm a new poster here; I don't want any bad blood in the first day.

I really didn't expect to be (semi)flamed in the first post I've ever put up. I'm sorry.

Nobody's flaming you. Its just some people believe that proper credit needs to be given because being a spriter yourself you should know that it takes alot of time to make sprites. So no one's flamming you or anything like that. But you should probably make your link to your site a little bigger. Because I never would've guessed that was a site if Despain hadn't said anything. Lol so yeah don't worry about it.

It's alright; it's mostly an ftp dump for myself with a pretty outer shell. The reason I put some of them up without credit was because I hoped the creators might contact me and give me the information to credit them.

Anyway, it was obviously a problem, so I removed it. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Zoom

How does one get the program to read the downloaded resources? I unzipped them and kept them in their original subfolder and that didn't work, then I renamed the folder "Resources" and that was no good. Come to think of it, I don't see an Import Resource option anywhere.

Some people here get REALLY antagonistic and don't bother at all to think about people's feelings when they post - but that doesn't mean everyone else here is a jerk as well. They're just kids who don't really think about the tone of their posts before letting loose (or insecure adults needing to reassert their dominance, control issues, et al).

Of course credit is an issue, but you were asking for help on that, not to be flamed, and it was an ftp dump, so eesh. You can still add a link to your site, just add in bold letters beneath "I KNOW there are people needing crediting still, instead of flaming me about it please help me find out who they are if you recognize their resources!"

This sounds very useful, I'm grabbing it. I don't like the interface of the original program from what I've seen either, but there's not much of an option.

Can't believe there are so many elitist twits around here who go being negative about generation software, which is helpful and can do the job just fine - or part of it - and instead go blathering on about how sprites should be original and all that.

Edit: Then again, I just found and visited the site, and it doesn't LOOK like an FTP dump - so people won't presume it is one. Given the large bulk of resources shown up there, I'd say it'd be worth going through the resource links listed at the top of the resource analysis forum, comparing with the sprites you've got and then crediting appropriately. Best to do it sooner before it gets larger and that becomes more difficult a task. I mean, you'd have to have visited Mack's website to get the resources to begin with - try and make sure to label them right off the bat in future instead, save yourself the hassle.

Some of those signs are really useful - and a bunch of other things too, that I've not seen anywhere else and I thought I'd seen nearly all the resource sites, so a lot of original work there?

Just for future reference Venetia, since you are new (?), you may not be aware that members of these forums take uncredited resources (that are not of your own) very seriously...it's kind of like stealing in a way. So from now on, it would be best to credit the resources you happen to acquire and/or ask permission to host them :)...regardless if they are just bits and bobs. :)

Scribblette said:
Some people here get REALLY antagonistic and don't bother at all to think about people's feelings when they post - but that doesn't mean everyone else here is a jerk as well. They're just kids who don't really think about the tone of their posts before letting loose (or insecure adults needing to reassert their dominance, control issues, et al).

Of course credit is an issue, but you were asking for help on that, not to be flamed, and it was an ftp dump, so eesh. You can still add a link to your site, just add in bold letters beneath "I KNOW there are people needing crediting still, instead of flaming me about it please help me find out who they are if you recognize their resources!"
Except that those resources were available to anyone who wanted them. Not everyone is going to go back to the site where they got an uncredited resource to see if the original artist was creditted, in fact, most people will probably just either not credit or give credit to the wrong person.
Chances are, the original artist won't find out anyways, but it's still a bit of a problem. That's why I include the original artist's name in the resource file name now.
Sorry if I came off as a jerk or whatever, but I'd rather people just not use the resource at all if it's not creditted properly.

Yeah, I'm realizing I need to keep their names in the resource file as well. As is people would visit her site and not know what was her work, and what wasn't - there's no labelling whatsoever, which means Venetia would be credited for, say, Mack's frog. :/ I intended to simply put the names and websites of artists who'd work I'd used in the game into the credit file and that'd be it - especially considering there are something like two dozen names in there for art alone - and I'd probably encrypt/compile the game anyway just so it couldn't be easily cheated through or spoiled, but it seems that people would rather I list every single file and every single file I've edited the tiniest fraction from to use elsewhere underneath each artist. @_@

I'm starting to make a habit of that now, but it was annoying to start with.

But there aren't any names at all on her site, and it wouldn't be hard to go add them now, and that would be good for the originals - and if you're hosting the resources for that, you really need to label them all, aye. There aren't too many yet, fortunately.

Anyway, though, Venetia, you should label your own stuff in particular, because a lot of what seems to be yours looks fantastic. :) and this particular charmaker is far more my thing than the other one which has an awful interface. Do you know why this one got pulled off the web? It lets you work in png and all, which is great.

Update:
The newest version of Character Maker XP uses GIF files, yes. But it doesn't require you to import them like version 1 does - saving a lot of time. Parts have to be saved in GIF format. The download is available from from http://www.glez-glez.com/cosas/charamker2.rar (that's version 2, there's version 2.05 out as well, but I found that even more frustrating).

The other advantages are it makes you work in layers, and lets you change the color of parts on the fly. This makes it easier to edit and get things overlapping right.

I'm going to fiddle with the gif function. A pity it doesn't let me import PNGs.

Edit: Then again, given I'm spending all that time turning things into gifs and then placing them into layers and all, why not just save the parts I have instead into sensible folders, and just put them together normally as any other frankenspriter? Saves me all the time converting to gif or needing to edit out edges... oh dear, I'm on the road to spritedom... XD

Wow I know this is a bit offtopic, but some of the default shirts in the charamaker XP are by me I think. The ones with the black armor and recolored shirt/cloth are by me a LONG time ago, I made them for a costume script that Darkzero made. Oh the memories.

Anyways, nice job cutting all that crap out, I know how amazingly boring that is, as I've done it for most the RTP before (except I compiled mine into PSD files, most of which I've lost.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.