Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Aqua'os: Tears of the Ocean

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Top notch!! I commend the art and your decision to take it in a "new direction" as you stated.
Working on my own game I found myself doing this once or twice (well before I had anything posted here), but now that it's set where I want it, it can be ironically difficult to keep things consistent because one keeps getting better.
Ride out the style and you'll find things may become stale (production wise), but even while a style may stay consistent you'll see you can still continually improve and best of all (perhaps for games) it'll will start to come faster and prepare you for unexpected/difficult hurdles the game may throw at you.
Please stick with it, as I'm looking forward to this game!

Reives;249324 said:
So really, any news on the first demo's release date?
@Reives Well, I suck at guestimating time frames, so to be honest I have no clue. Not to mention I have a lot on my plate right now so the time spent on the game is dwindling. Gomen ^^;

alywaly;249407 said:
It looks great, the screenshots are good!
^-^
@alywaly
Thanks you ^^
Kicks;249521 said:
Top notch!! I commend the art and your decision to take it in a "new direction" as you stated.
Working on my own game I found myself doing this once or twice (well before I had anything posted here), but now that it's set where I want it, it can be ironically difficult to keep things consistent because one keeps getting better.
Ride out the style and you'll find things may become stale (production wise), but even while a style may stay consistent you'll see you can still continually improve and best of all (perhaps for games) it'll will start to come faster and prepare you for unexpected/difficult hurdles the game may throw at you.
Please stick with it, as I'm looking forward to this game!

@Kicks Arigato^^ I half fluctuate between actually finishing the game with my current artistic knowledge, and knowledge with the program I recently bought. Or waiting for me to develop further and THEN finish the game. -_- But then again I may never be satisfied that I know enough and then I'd never finish the game. It's good that someone may understand where I'm coming from or at least the dilema I'm facing. ^^;

Little update.

-Finally tying all the cities/towns for the first part of the story together. Meaning I'm mostly finished with mapping yay!^^

-Started converting the story to game form. NPC interactions, little side stories, etc.

-There will be little mini stories you can read in the libraries scattered throughout etc. if you read below you can see one I've written a while ago that will be in one of them. (I hope that it's not too bad -_-; if any one will take the time to read and give me feedback I'd appreciate it. Actually I have numerous that I don't need to have umm what is it called? Proofread? But if someone WOULD like to help me out by it I'd be appreciative.)

Caution: story geared towards an older audience
DARK PETALS

Raindrops fell in a slow steady drizzle, pattering against an opened black umbrella. The light tapping of soles against wet cement filled the moist humid air. Hoping to keep his companion dry, a lean man dressed entirely in black, slowly moved his umbrella over her body. He did not seem to care that this chivalrous gesture would leave him without protection from the splash of the cold raindrops.

His companion did not notice this, for her eyes were intent, not on the horizon ahead of her, but on the wet blades of grass caressing her feet. Abruptly she stopped as her gaze lifted slowly up to the bleak sky. Her eyes, hidden behind dark shades, shifted to the person a few steps behind her. "Wait here." she quietly commanded in a firm manner. She dug her hands deeply into the burrows of her trench coat. The young man glanced at her with one darkened eyebrow raised as he stopped in his tract. He grasped the wooden handle of the umbrella tightly causing his knuckles to whiten. For a brief moment he debated not listening to her command. Instead, he sighed deeply holding the umbrella out toward her. She ignored or pretended to not see this movement, instead she continued to trudge forward.

As he watched her, he pulled the umbrella over himself. Secretly he was slightly relieved she had not taken it, for the rain had shifted from a cool refreshing drizzle, to a bone chilling downpour. The young woman came to a stop, her fingers reaching up to pull her darkened shades form her oval face. Her eyes drifted down to the statue in front of her. Her fingers suddenly went lax on the glasses, and they dropped to the ground. The stone statue was a womanly figure, it's palms stretched outward towards the heavens. The lidless pupils seem to stare blankly at the stone face below it, a quiet form hiding the sadness encased within it's lifeless being.

Saddened eyes traveled down the curves of the statue to the slab of stone on which it sat. She dropped to her knees in front of it. A cold damp feeling rushed up her knees as the soft pliable mud seeped through her black nylons. Trembling fingers reached out towards the stone brushing across its surface. The stone was cold, smooth, almost....impersonal. She reached into her left pocket pulling out gently a black rose. Bringing it to her nose she inhaled briefly its intoxicating perfume. Her fingers traced the curvature of the silky petals and the thorny stem as she placed it on the ground before her. "Your...Favorite" she whispered softly.

Her fingers dragged down surface of the stone, coming to the first engraved letter, taking along with it a glob of mud. She mouthed the words written, her heart quickening, a sob catching in her throat. She moved her fingers slowly, tracing the sharp gothic letters chiselled across the stone. With each letter, the pain slamming inside her chest intensified. Her legs gave way as she collapsed in front of the grave site, her body trembling due to heart racking sobs. She gasped taking deep wheezened breaths, and regained her composure. With quivering fingers she continued their travel across the cold stone. She caressed each letter, this time with a slight smile on her lips. Lifting up her face, she allowed the icy rain to pour down as if this action would somehow wash away her sadness. She pulled the stringy clumps of her hair from across her face. Softly smiling she slide her hand into the pockets of her jacket, clasping to the warm handle of a silver berreta. A finger gently caressed the trigger, slowly pressing the cold biting silver to her chest.

A flock of midnight crows fluttered taking to the sky. The man who had arrived with her, turned too late, only to see her body lurch forward falling into the outstrechted marble arms of the statue in front of her as if welcoming it willingly. "Lady?!" He exclaimed rushing to her side. He cradled her lolling head into his arms, his hand hovering inches over her chest. He was more than ready to sacrifice his life energy to replenish hers. She closed her eyes shaking her head briefly. His hand dropped clenched upon her chest. Closing his eyes he let a deep soul encompassing sigh escaping from his lips. The man knew that her wishes were to always be followed, no matter what the outcome. He reached up to brush her hair from her face. She opened her mouth to speak but found it filled with the warmth of her own blood. Suddenly she was clearly aware of her situation. Her body shook with laughter causing the blood to bubble past her lips and to trickle out the corners of her mouth. The gentleman had not seen her laugh in such a long time, that despite the circumstances, he could not help but smile. Gingerly he brushed the blood off her lips and cleared the blood from her passageway. "What is it you wish now, My Lady?" he whispered gently. She spoke brokenly, yet clearly; each word laborious draining her further, a quiet whisper against a harsh wind.

Her hand dropped to her side her palms opened towards the sky, crushing the dark petals of her love's favorite rose.
The gentleman blinked back tears remembering her last words.

"Bury..Me...with..MY one and only..love..."

-I will have mostly default RTP music in the game, but sprinkled througout will be some music that the ever so generous Sneith has composed. It's called Dreams....which partially was behind the inspiration for the mermaid picture that was seen in the Art thread. (music inspires my drawings a lot)
http://www.mediafire.com/?8mymqw9kmtt
t'was made exclusively for my game ^^;

So I've been working hard on trying to get a demo out, someday...

@Kicks Arigato^^ I half fluctuate between actually finishing the game with my current artistic knowledge, and knowledge with the program I recently bought. Or waiting for me to develop further and THEN finish the game. -_- But then again I may never be satisfied that I know enough and then I'd never finish the game. It's good that someone may understand where I'm coming from or at least the dilema I'm facing. ^^;
So I trust you have made your choice, at least based off this update. The story is sad......(sigh) hope she at least found happiness after death.

Kieara I know exactly what you mean. Just remember when you finish the game you can always go back and improve it. Although it looks amazing as it is. By the time I finish Notes On Pulling The Sky Down I expect to be much better in all aspects of my skills. So there will probably been some incosistancies between the star and end of the game. But if that point comes I plan on re-doing a lot of it to make it even better.

Good to hear your making progress. Remember, theres no rush. I know its hard work.

I did take the time to read your story and it seems like quite good writing. Very descriptive. Just be carefull not to be too desciptive sometimes. Just one small note, I would cut out the word chivalrous the second time you use it. It disrups the flow slightly. Otherwise, good work!

@G-Man; er...for this story you can interpret it however you want. Just to forewarn you, when it comes to happy endings I'm a little unpredictable. I like sad endings AND happy endings. So anything that come from me might be either.

Anglachel; I do love my descriptions, I like to paint pictures in my readers mind with words. But of course some readers rather use thier imagination and therefore wouldn't like it :\ Hard to find that balance you know? And as for the chivilarous gesture, thanks for catching that. It does sound quite redundant, it is redundant for that matter...heh.. ^^;

-as for getting better, I guess we could always make chapters and improve on each progressing chapter. OR better yet, even do remakes latter on.

Didn't like the the read much, but I blame that on my lacking English. Havin' issues keeping into the atmosphere because of that. Seeing the theme suggests the game is aimed at an "older" audience, that shouldn't pose a problem though.

I do love the wickedness however, as I work with it also (though in different contexts)

Er Forgot about my audience age for a second there. Perhaps I should place a caution at the begining of the story then? Yes darkness is a fun theme ^^ I'm caught between both a lot. (darkness and light that is)

Nono, it's just that English isn't my first language. Don't worry about your audience too much either, unless you plan on selling the game.

You may want to warn people at the beginning though, as insanity can be a heavy theme, and have an impact on people's ability to sleep at night.

The Cry of Fallen Angels;253514":32vrc2f1 said:
Nono, it's just that English isn't my first language. Don't worry about your audience too much either, unless you plan on selling the game.

You may want to warn people at the beginning though, as insanity can be a heavy theme, and have an impact on people's ability to sleep at night.
(sigh) boy do I know how that feels, and I agree, audience shouldn't be worried about too much, plus if you ask me your artwork makes it seem as if you're gearing it towards an older crowd.

Hehe yea, for younger audiences it isn't. Still I appreciate you taking the time to read it, It is rather long >.< Perhaps I should break it up in paragraph's in game. You know a player would find in a library or home "Dark Petals part 1" and so on till the story is finished, then perhaps be rewarded or open up a side story upon finding the whole short story...

I will be trying to test out what I have as of yet for my game in about two weeks. (I'll have linked everything up for part of part 1 by then) Oh yes, KP is getting close to releasing some sort of demo! (whether or not it's 10 min long or the whole of chapt 1 is anyone's guess >.<) If anyone else wants to volunteer and give their C & C so I can fix bugs or improve on something please PM me.

-Small visual treat update
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225 ... ground.png[/IMG]
Making the battle backgrounds for the Palace in Atlantia. Which you wont be able to see until Chapt 2, which I've only now started mapping. ^_~ Tis the standard RTP battle script I'm using, but I'm trying to make it slightly different so bear with me!

Hey I'll beta test if you need it!

I didn't get the impression that its for older audiences. But that is just perception and as I don't know everyones age its hard to judge. Older to me might not be older to someone else and vice versa. I don't think that there would be many people at all on these forums that is too young for this...

The Cry Of Fallen Angels! I would have never known that English wasn't your first language untill you said then... wow.

The battleback looks amazing, so does the battler! That looks extra brillaint. It all fits together so well. I've never seen that RTP enemy battler look so at home. It doesn't matter at all that its RTP.

I don't even think it matters that your using the standard script when it looks that good. I better stop the complemets now or it might go to your head :P

I envy your mapping skills! If I were to make an RPG game, I'd sure throw mapping work to someone else and not doing it myself, since I'm so bad at it @_@;

The battle bg looks nice, however I find it somewhat weird. Like, the black&white fish in the front. Are they suppose to be behind the slime? But their sizes are big :/ Also, they kinda distract players from the monster itself.

Don't worry about standard battle system! With smart use of skills, elements and status, it's not difficult to make it fun and enjoyable :)

What kind of color do you use to paint the character? I kinda like it :D

That's better! And yes, that's what I meant. So they're copic markers, right? I'd really like to try them. Thanks you :D

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.