Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

ACTION-GAME-MAKER

ACTION GAME MAKER  :rock:

On its blog, Enterbrain has announced its newest game-making program. And the best part? It's not another fucking RPG Maker!
Make platformers, action-RPGs, shmups and more!
Japanese release date: December 12, 2008

Games can be ported to Xbox Live!

Announcement is here: click
AGM Page is here: click
English hype page: http://actiongamemaker.com

act001b.jpg

act002b.jpg

act003b.jpg

Let us pray for an English release (or a good illegal translation).  :angel:

Marcus

Sponsor

i thought it was common knowledge they were using action script?

like, the first thing they said when they announced the game was the ability to play it online using flash. did this not trigger any bells?

Marcus":1cdkdwv6 said:
i thought it was common knowledge they were using action script?

like, the first thing they said when they announced the game was the ability to play it online using flash. did this not trigger any bells?

Everyone keeps talking about "If it uses RGSS..."

Just thought i'd clarify it for them.

Kav

Sponsor

Yaxor":3i6bich6 said:
How much it will cost? Actually this is GREAT. We can make HD Games with HD Sprites
It costs about 108 USD (converted from yen) right now. RMVX cost about 100 USD (converted from yen), but was actually sold to the US for $60, so I imagine AGM will cost a lot less than $108 too (maybe $65?)

it already says on the site that it will be capable of being shared on the 360. So ... Yeah. Console.

anyway, IDK if it uses actionscript, but it's not like it's 100% necessary to use actionscript when making something with a flash shell. flash ITSELF uses actionscript, yes, but you can make a flash SHELL run a large number of formats and code languages.

if it DOES use actionscript, however, this will probably greatly broaden the audience. AS3 is powerful and very easy to pick up and learn. even a dumbass like me can use it.

it might hurt the rm crowd if it doesnt use ruby, but im sure atleast half the advanced coders here have atleast LOOKED at AS before, or would be able to master it quickly.

Yeah, Flash can actually integrate with things written in a C based language fairly easily - which leaves them open to use about any scripting language they want in their editor really. Since it's supporting both XNA and Flash I'd imagine they're probably going that route and simply just using a wrapper to embed it as a swf, rather than making a specialized Flash IDE that only makes 2D Platform games.

Quake 1 source code compiled to run inside Flash Player for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TKGNS1N1yo

Venetia":2cjqi8g8 said:
it already says on the site that it will be capable of being shared on the 360. So ... Yeah. Console.

He was referring to someone else's idea about using scripting to convert RMXP and RMVX games to AGM format so that they can be played on the 360.

But if AGM uses Actionscript and not a form of Ruby, this is highly unlikely.

Kav

Sponsor

IMPORTANT UPDATE! NEW FEATURES REVEALED!
Enterbrain has revealed many features of AGM.

I'm updating the translations here: Click this link

Some important stuff I've found out that I'll post here:
  • For images, PNG and BMP files can be used. They support RGB alpha channels. Images have no size limit (i.e. sprites can be of any size).
  • AGM supports collision detection! You can specify the range of the detection within a rectangular frame. It can be used to detect contact with gadgets, contact with tiles, and the extent of damage.
  • With the "work program" you can specify how gadgets act. This includes movement direction, speed, projectile firing, or display messages. The editor allows complex behaviors for gadgets.
Make sure to click the link for more information. I'm updating the page as we speak!

To answer some above questions: It appears AGM doesn't use scripting, so no Ruby or Actionscript. It does allow you to program extensions via XNA Game Studio 3.0 (which you have to buy).

Jason

Awesome Bro

Hmm seems interesting, although I don't think I'll be buying it as soon as it releases, I'll do what I did with XP/VX and wait a few months to see how it's doing, I don't want to be wasting money on something that's a load of toss.

Kav

Sponsor

Roxas":3odqac8k said:
so wait, this thing offers no kind of programming language to make systems? no ruby, no flash, no thing?
Yeah, pretty much. Although, you CAN export it to the XNA Framework and edit the game's code using Microsoft Visual C# Express Edition (which is free). Also someone's making an API for AGM that might be helpful.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.