Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

ACTION-GAME-MAKER

ACTION GAME MAKER  :rock:

On its blog, Enterbrain has announced its newest game-making program. And the best part? It's not another fucking RPG Maker!
Make platformers, action-RPGs, shmups and more!
Japanese release date: December 12, 2008

Games can be ported to Xbox Live!

Announcement is here: click
AGM Page is here: click
English hype page: http://actiongamemaker.com

act001b.jpg

act002b.jpg

act003b.jpg

Let us pray for an English release (or a good illegal translation).  :angel:

Twirly

Sponsor

Venetia":1i90jcrm said:
I like the people who complain at the pricetag. Yes, thank you, you're a penniless kid. We got that already when you walked in the door.

Typical game-building engines cost thousands. Sometimes, tens of thousands.

And yeah, the RM* series, or anything by Enterbrain, is incredibly pared-down, but still $60 is the cost of any regular video game on its own, so why wouldn't this be a reasonable price??
Exactly!
Also this maker can make games in three different genres,
so that would be 3 makers in one! (kind of lol)

for the younger demographic that this program is aimed towards, it's easy to see how 60$ might seem expensive to them. in all reality, it's a total rip-off in the face of the much more efficient, easier to use, and more diversified Game Maker 7, which is a measly 20$. it can do 3d, and it'll handle beefier games better [than rmvx/xp, at least] for a third of the price!

GUI-based amateur rpg-maker software (complete with questionable framerate issues!)  is hardly comparable to professional ten-thousand dollar game engines and dev-kits. the price of professional game engines seems like a silly point to raise!

But I need that money for drugs! Why can't they release their programs for free, like that Don Miguel guy did?!

Now stop complaining and just ask mommy and daddy to give you 60$ at Christmas in anticipation of the release of that new maker.

What amazes me is the fact that people on an rpg making forum are tired of rpg's. One must wonder.
As for the game maker, me myself only see one amazingly nice feature to it, the fact that it can export the game in flash and for xbox. However, if it doesn't allow scripting, I'm out of the boat. Makes the freakin' game so much rigid. Like in "hey, I can make a platformer, I'll make tarzan!", "can you make the dude swing ropes?", "nope...", "fuck!"

mawk

Sponsor

What amazes me is the fact that people on an rpg making forum are tired of rpg's.

it's quite simple: almost no one is capable of making a good rpg. for action games, even if the end result is horrible (in the way that most rm rpgs are horrible (if you really need to ask in what way most rm rpgs are horrible you should get out and play some),) there'll still be the gameplay element -- rpgs rely so heavily on dialogue and story that things like tales of worlds don't have a spare leg to stand on.

Maxwell Edison":1ayulv63 said:
it's quite simple: almost no one is capable of making a good rpg. for action games, even if the end result is horrible (in the way that most rm rpgs are horrible (if you really need to ask in what way most rm rpgs are horrible you should get out and play some),) there'll still be the gameplay element -- rpgs rely so heavily on dialogue and story that things like tales of worlds don't have a spare leg to stand on.
But yeah, you guys are obviously right, it is much harder. Although I just stated that because there was a lot of "fuck rpg maker" goin' on, that I just found it to be funny. But yeah, rpg making is probably the hardest of all games to make, simply because psicology is in the order of the day, as well as market studies, and other mambo-jambo that don't have anything to do with the game per-se.
Cruelty":1ayulv63 said:
I, for one, am not using rpg make xp to design an rpg.
mystery solved, gang!
As for that, no problem here. This is also an rpg maker community, specificaly xp, but still, it's an rpg community. So everyone can get their shares here, even if they use game maker or so.

Overall, I like this topic. There is on game on the internet that I really love and wouldn't mind doing something similar with the new maker (I'm screaming Fancy Pants here). And yes, people overall don't know how to do a fuckin good rpg. Because most of those folks are all fanboys and fangirls who actually wanna make the "next sequel for final fantasy vii" or sumefin' like that.
But don't misinterpret me, "fuck rpg's" sounds like something that a guy who isn't willing to try other programs would say after finally seeing something easy to use, leaving rpg's behind. Like, "hey, I wanna make a platformer", "have you tried game maker?", " it's freakin' hard! I guess I'll try rpg maker because I can't make platformers", and then later on, an easy platformer comes by and he says "aha! fuck rpg's now I can make what I wanted!". It's not a bad scheme. I just didn't think so many people felt that way. Although, in my opinion, those are just folks who failed miserably at making a decent rpg and are lowering the stakes. My experience tells me, if you set a stake high, you NEVER lower it. But hey, that's just me.  :japfag: (random emote just because)

mawk

Sponsor

yes

min chan":1oarjvsj said:
Man WTF?

Taken from http://www.actiongamemaker.com/
IMPORTANT UPDATE!
Japanese release date changed: March 5, 2009

This seriously sucks.

personally I was thinking they'd spring for a big christmas release like everything else on the planet, but I guess I'd rather this than a less polished product. it'd suck if it came out and had tile-based movement or poor jump mechanics or something.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Agreed, there is nothing more disappointing that delay, but if it's for extending features for users, that's always the better compromise...I still think they will short users on features,  but since they have the script system, or so I'm made to think, that should be good enough!

Nothing you couldn't do in five minutes with any version of Game Maker =/ That's not even much of an exaggeration, and hell, you don't even need the pro version- you could do this easily with the functions afforded in the basic version. Can't say I'm all that impressed, but I'll hold final judgments until they provide more information. I am afraid though that it might be a lot more cripped than Game Maker, and that you'd be better off spending the 15 minutes it takes to learn a platformer in that system. Or the Zelda-style RPG, or even the sidescroller shooter. So currently, I'm rather unimpressed and of the expectation that it'll be an extremely crippled Game Maker for three times the price of the pro version, which as cruelty said can handle 3D games, along with networking, etc.

Reygekan":399b26w1 said:
So currently, I'm rather unimpressed and of the expectation that it'll be an extremely crippled Game Maker for three times the price of the pro version, which as cruelty said can handle 3D games, along with networking, etc.

Agreed

mawk

Sponsor

I'm pretty sure the english blog hasconfirmed that AGM is going to have some sort of scripting language, and even if they haven't I think it's a safe assumption to make. RGSS was one of the big features in XP and VX, and I don't think it'd make sense to get rid of it for their future projects.

then again, I might be wrong. let's hope, though, since it would be a big help.

personally, I'm most curious about how events and enemies and that sort of thing are going to work. will it allow different attacks for different directions and button combinations (think castlevania?) that sort of thing.

march is too far away I want it NOW!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.