Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What are you reading?

a song of fire and ice series.
it's a tad annoying reading one thing and the POV switching to something completely different, especially when the ending of that chapters is like omg wow i really wanna keep reading.
There's a sense of pretentiousness in here, but great writing nevertheless, and very engaging despite how... text heavy it is.
Interesting, but lots of times deals shit that i don't care about, while the more interesting POVs are immediately followed by a POV you don't care about too much.
Surprisngly interesting and funny at times, and I would love to copy the writing style.

Anski

Sponsor

Finally breaking into The Road. It's been on my desk, like, RIGHT INFRONT OF ME for weeks but all this working on recombinant active viruses study has been eating my reading time alive. (ohohoh medicine joke)

candle

Sponsor

Dust of Dreams by Stephen Erickson. This guy has an insanely huge cast of characters, and a lot of humor written into them and their interactions with each other. If you love high fantasy, political and religious intrigue, and long winded descriptions, this guy is for you.

I'm rereading the A Song of Ice and Fire book series. I'm on book 2 right now. I'm trying to take it slow, to fully soak in the chapters. I read them all last time and was confused a bit. But this time, I'm remembering things a lot better. xD

Anyway, its a great read. :3

I'm reading a mystery/romance novel - and I don't even know why. Probably because it's what I haven't read, yet. xD (Star's mother lent it to me...)

I'm hoping this weekend I'll get some good mystery books. ^^

Spoo

Sponsor

Rick Riordan, The Throne of Fire; it's a little young for me but I'm fine with that because there's not enough fantasy based around Egyptian themes.

regi

Sponsor

Spooky":2n6ryhmt said:
Rick Riordan, The Throne of Fire; it's a little young for me but I'm fine with that because there's not enough fantasy based around Egyptian themes.
Oh, yeah. His Percy Jackson series was excellent; Greek mythology has always been a favorite of mine. The spinoff series is a tad disappointing, but I haven't yet tried the Egyptian books.

Spoo

Sponsor

I didn't enjoy the Lost Hero near as much as Percy Jackson but then again it is a sequel of sorts and those generally don't turn out great. The Kane Chronicles is an interesting series so far; basically Riordan did the same thing with the Egyptian Gods as he did in Percy Jackson. I would call it worth a read, at least.

action":345p3te2 said:
Readin "Wild Wood" by colin whoever; all i know is he is the frontman of the decemberists and the book is good
Bought this book on a whim last september because of the kickin' rad cover art. It's the first time I've read an entire book in less than a week since I was in elementary school. A little simple and the ending isn't very satisfying, but a great book nonetheless.

Spoo

Sponsor

The final book in the Inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini, aptly named Inheritance. CP sort of fakes you out near the beginning with something that'd be pretty major. Haven't got far, but it's shaping up to be pretty awesome.

Spoo

Sponsor

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. Basically a recount of William Dodd -- the U.S Ambassador to Hitler's Germany in 1932 -- and his family's time in Berlin and the drastic changes of the place over the duration of their stay. Interesting stuff; Dodd was actually a regular associate of people like Joseph Goebbels. The book touches on the isolationist attitude of America at the time versus organizations in favor of Jewish support.

I bought The Japanese Devil Fish Girl as it had a pretty cover, but I can't get around to reading it. It's a "far-fetched sequel to War of the Worlds", and very steampunky apparently. Has anybody read it? Worth reading?

Melanii":3cf7knjv said:
I'm reading a A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. :D

nice. keep going dude. i cant wait for the next one :(

anyways i just started book 2 of the wheel of time series. finished the first one a couple nights ago. failry generic fantasy, but well-written. i have all 14 books lined up ready for me to plow through them

I've been reading some manga recently.
I've been reading "Grey is..." by Dee Juusan which can be found here
I plan to buy the physical copies that are on the website.
Another good one is Fisheye Placebo by Yuumei
Tapastic is a great site for graphic novels/manga. A lot of amateurs and professionals upload to it.
Lastly, I recently finished The fault in our stars. That was a great book. I enjoyed Looking for Alaska more, but yeah.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.