Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What are you reading?

Spoo

Sponsor

Just like the "What are you listening to?" thread, just post anything you are reading, have recently read, or are wanting to read. 

Me?

Have Read

Red Rabbit - Tom Clancy
Stargazer - Patrick Carman
The Tenth City - Patrick Carman

Reading

Brisingr - Christopher Paolini

Wanting to Read

Nothing at the Moment!

Go.

The last novel I picked up that wasn't school or harry potter related was "The Twelve Kingdoms" Book 1.

I don't think I've read anything else since :/

This past week?

Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 01) How few remain
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 02) Great War: American Front
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 03) Great War: Walk in Hell
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 04) Great war: Breakthroughs
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 06) American Empire: The Center cannot Hold
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 07) American Empire: The Victorious Opposition
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 08) Settling Accounts: Return Engagement
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 09) Settling Accounts: Drive to The East

S. D. Perry - Resident Evil - The Umbrella Conspiracy
S. D. Perry - Resident Evil - Caliban Cove

Currently reading:

S.D. Perry - Resident Evil - City of the Dead

Will read as soon as I get to the library
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 10) Settling Accounts: The Grapple
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 11) Settling Accounts: In at The Death
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 05) American Empire: Blood and Iron

Will read after I finish my current book:
S.D. Perry - Resident Evil - Underground
S.D. Perry - Resident Evil - Nemesis
S.D. Perry - Resident Evil - Code Veronica

alice's adventures underground. i found a digital copy of the original manuscript, and i've never seen it with the pictures before. :0

Spoo

Sponsor

skirtboy":lcbw0sgp said:
This past week?

Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 01) How few remain
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 02) Great War: American Front
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 03) Great War: Walk in Hell
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 04) Great war: Breakthroughs
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 06) American Empire: The Center cannot Hold
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 07) American Empire: The Victorious Opposition
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 08) Settling Accounts: Return Engagement
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 09) Settling Accounts: Drive to The East

S. D. Perry - Resident Evil - The Umbrella Conspiracy
S. D. Perry - Resident Evil - Caliban Cove

Currently reading:

S.D. Perry - Resident Evil - City of the Dead

Will read as soon as I get to the library
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 10) Settling Accounts: The Grapple
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 11) Settling Accounts: In at The Death
Harry Turtledove - (Southern Victory 05) American Empire: Blood and Iron

Will read after I finish my current book:
S.D. Perry - Resident Evil - Underground
S.D. Perry - Resident Evil - Nemesis
S.D. Perry - Resident Evil - Code Veronica

Taking a wild guess, you like Harry Turtledove?

mawk

Sponsor

I'm alternating between Wizard's First Rule and the Dark Tower VII now. Dark Tower is just a fantastic series; It's like someone took the fantasy genre, filtered out the ridiculous flamboyant stuff, and replaced it with liquid Sergio Leone. It's gritty, the world is massively deep, and gunslingers are simply badass. King breaks the fourth wall as a legitimate plot element too, which I find amazingly effective given that you wouldn't think that it'd work -- most writers, when they act as a character in their own book, collapse under the weight of their own egos for doing that sort of thing in the first place.

Wizard's First Rule I read because I didn't have the Dark Tower with me. It's fairly generic medieval fantasy; though there's nothing immediately wrong with that, Goodkind is so damn preachy with everything he does that I'd come close to putting the book down and maybe setting it on fire on multiple occasions. The main characters are all mary-sues in their own ways, and the villain has regular Rape the Dog moments but doesn't get much in the way of characterization (and, spoiler alert, they pull a Star Wars!) Honestly, I don't even understand why I got into the series in the first place. I can only take so much RICHARD IS A BEAUTIFUL IDEALIST before I want to gag.

I read a lot considering I'm a generic moody teenager. I could have learned the guitar by this point if I took a half-hour of the time I spent reading and turned it into fiddling.

I'm in the middle of the Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams, Junky by William S. Burroughs, and Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

Earlier I picked up Alma Mater by Rita Mae Brown, Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, and the His Dark Materials trilogy. Every time I get back to working on my game the discount books bin says "nope, you're my bitch now."

Spoo

Sponsor

Miek":2ct105n4 said:
I'm alternating between Wizard's First Rule and the Dark Tower VII now.
Terry Goodkind is  fantastic fantasy writer.  I've only got to read Wizard's First Rule, though. 

Also, Dark Tower is written by K.A Applegate, right?  I saw it somewhere back when I was into Animorphs.

Substancialicious":2bog1qjf said:
I'm in the middle of the Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams, Junky by William S. Burroughs, and Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

Earlier I picked up Alma Mater by Rita Mae Brown, Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, and the His Dark Materials trilogy. Every time I get back to working on my game the discount books bin says "nope, you're my bitch now."

The ending to the Amber Spyglass almost made me cry.

I'm serious. :(

mawk

Sponsor

Akinari":gnr19ee5 said:
Terry Goodkind is  fantastic fantasy writer.  I've only got to read Wizard's First Rule, though. 

Also, Dark Tower is written by K.A Applegate, right?  I saw it somewhere back when I was into Animorphs.

No he's not and no it's not.

After Wizard's First Rule, trust me, you'll get fed up with his blatant in-your-face mary-sue idealism and you wont be able to look at the series the same way ever again. He's very skilled as a writer, but he's such a pretentious douchebag that it infects his work. Maybe that's just me with my ultra-sensitivity to people putting themselves on pedestals, however.

The Dark Tower series is by Stephen King. I think you should read it if you like his other work at all, and probably if you don't; it's not a King horror novel, although I enjoy that he keeps his unique narrative style. That's all I have to say, really.

candle

Sponsor

Recently Finished:
The Twilight Saga (all four books) - Stephenie Meyer
Brisingr - Christopher Paolini

Currently Reading:
the DaVinci Code - Dan Brown

Books Yet to read:
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles

I think Akinari may have been thinking about Everworld or the Mayflower Project, both of which were so much better than Animorphs, (though I loved all three).

Also, Miek, WFR is one of the worst books in the series.  It gets better, believe me.  While Goodkind never really gets rid of Richard's idealism, characters like Nicci start to make up for it, especially when he gets more into her back-story and character.  Regardless, I feel he is a very talented writer and is definitely on my "Books and Authors to Recommend" list.  My favorite book of all time happens to be Faith of the Fallen.

Don't forget to look for Legend of the Seeker on syndicated Television this November!  Check your local listings.

The Dark tower series was pretty good, but it got seriously derailed after Wolves of the Calla and got really weird. It seemed like he had too many things going in places and he had to kill plot threads off.

e

Sponsor

Haha Miek. I was about the say the same. I've read through Goodkind's series, but I couldn't actually finish it; that is, I couldn't bring myself to buy and read the newest paperbacks.

His characters, his morals, general self-righteousness is eventually nauseating. Too bad, the initial idea was good.

Anyway.

I've been reading school stuff lately, Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Sidney's Defense of Poesy, Faerie Queene and Sir Gawain and the Greene Knighte.

On the side, I've finished reading The Last Man (Mary Shelley) and The Monk (Matthew Lewis). I don't appreciate the romantic/gothic style that much, but apart from that, the gist of those novels was pretty good.

Right now I'm not reading anything, just school stuff.

Hoping to pick up Labyrinths, by Jorge Luis Borges and El Señor Presidente, by Miguel Angel Asturias.

mawk

Sponsor

It doesn't improve after Wizard's First Rule. He's just as in-your-face with his RICHARD GOOD; REGULAR PEOPLE IGNORANT motif as ever. It's a shame, because he's definitely a good writer.

The Dark tower series was pretty good, but it got seriously derailed after Wolves of the Calla and got really weird. It seemed like he had too many things going in places and he had to kill plot threads off.

I've noticed this too, although I don't think it killed the experience for me as much as it did you. I would have preferred that it remain a cowboy epic through to the end, but "lots of action" was never really King's style, anyway.

I'll just watch Fistful of Dollars instead. :D

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.