Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content [VX] Omega Twilight

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Lol thanks for the random bump =).

The scripter isn't responding to my message...I dunno what to do if he doesn't respond in the next week. Maybe I could just give up and release a demo without the quest log? Would you want that? I could just give you a guide as to where the quests are taken from...but really at this point in the game, there isn't like an overwhelming amount of quests that requires the quest log.

So you tell me, demo with or without the quest log?

Ah i can do without it, release the demo.

Sorry to hear about the scripter, maybe he/she is on holiday or something? Are you paying for the script or is it for free?

I was playing through my game and came across an error that I have no idea why it's there lol. I think I could fix it...I'll try to get a demo soon okay?

This is looking really good sillypieman, I like the idea of
'Though they may never meet, they will become the strongest allies in all history.'
part of the stroy too.
If it plays just as well as Lucid Awakening did then congratulations,
I will be waiting for a demo.

Thanks ^_^. I'm trying to make enough finishing touches to make it ready for release but there's some little annoying stuff that I don't feel like fixing right now lol...I just haven't been in an RPG Maker mood lately -_- lol.

I guess I'll make a little quest guide for you guys since the demo won't have the quest log. I'll just make a list of the quests and where to get them and stuff.

I am surprised by how much gameplay there is actually. I'm playing through it and I'm already at 1:11 and there's still a big dungeon and more story after the dungeon. So expect around an hour and a half of gameplay ^_^.

Not in the RPG Maker mood, I know how you feel.
So the demo is longer than you thought, thats good,
but then again even a small demo would be great.
So I can safely assume that there are a few quests in the demo then?
Oh and take all the time you need to get the demo ready, Im sure most of us wont mind waiting.

Haha yeah I think EVERYONE knows how that is. Like it disgusts me to look at it right now lol.

Yep, a few quests. Basic stuff...nothing exciting.

Well yeah since you've all waited for like half a year I think a couple more days won't hurt ^_^. I'm sooooo busy with school right now, this is my last week of college before break, then I've got church stuff, then I've got friends that I value more than RPG Maker believe it or not lol. SOOOO yeah I'll try by the end of this week...but that's not a promise!

Good to hear =), i know what you mean about not being in the RPG maker mood, maybe i should start working on my game, haven't worked on it in ages O.o.

Hmmmmm....wow I suck at this, good thing I'm not doing this for money LOL. Well yeah...I've been working on this heavily again. It's just a matter of making a good cut off point for the demo. I'm at about 1:40 right now with my playthrough, and I'm almost at the end of the content I have so far. I just need to find a good way to end it -___-.

I can't get up with my scripter...so who knows if I will have a quest log at all even in the final game...maybe I should take out the quests all together? I'll just wait to see what the reactions are to the demo before I make any drastic changes I guess.

K...for real this time...I'm gonna work on the demo lol...*sigh*.

Almost forgot about this game, cant believe a months past already...
So does the game need a quest log, if you cant get one just make the players have to remember...

Well yeah but I wanted it so people could see details of quests and stuff...because the quests are very WoW-like. They are sugar-coated collection quests usually haha. Yeah but you're right...I guess it doesn't NEED it. It would just be really nice...especially since the script (in theory) works so well and has a nice interface.

THE DEMO IS RELEASED!!!!! Go. Download. Now!

Oh...don't use the Quest Log item. I actually forgot to make it so you don't get it in the demo because I was in a hurry LOL...also the demo kind of ends in a bad spot O_o...again, I was rushing lol.

So yeah. Tell me what you think. Be brutally honest =P

Ok so I was about to download this demo and see if it's actually long enough to be put in the demo forums but i don't have time to play it at the moment so i'll just have to take your word for it and move it!

Somebody else play this thing and confirm it's at least an hour long ok :eek:

PS if you're lying i'll ban you for five years :3

Yay a demo!

I have downloaded and played the demo (haven't finished yet) but I am enjoying it so far. I love the battle music. You used the RTP which I don't really mind.

I found one glitch which was when you are in the cave (where you rescue the boy who fell down a hole), if you go down the same hole you need to go down to get to the boy again, then you turn invisible. Fortunately i had already returned the boy to his sister, and was able to navigate to the library quest where the switch in characters made the player visible again.

I'm not sure if this is a glitch or you purposely blocked this area off because you weren't finished, is the gate in the room where you rescue the boy (in the cave for the last glitch), it makes the animation that you opened the gate, but the gate stays there and you cant get through.

Again i am loving the demo and i cant wait for a full release! Keep up the good work.

Oh and to Dissonance, I'm at 2hrs 20 mins play time, and i am still not finished so he isn't lying :tongue:.

@Dissonance: Haha okay.

@PiePlay: On my filefront it says it has zero downloads...lol. Yeah, surprisingly I got the battle music from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest...which I never liked that much, but I guess it has a good battle song lolz.

Hmm, I'll check out that glitch, I never noticed that.

Yeah...that is meant to be blocked. That is a glitch that it had the animation, but it IS supposed to be there. I just don't know what's on the other side of the gate yet so I didn't pay much attention to it lol. I'm assuming you will go there later when you have more QP =P

Thanks so much for your awesome beta testing Pie ^_^. It's great to have people like you that will notice glitches that I missed.

Heya, I just tried out the first ten minutes or so and thought I'd post some comments.

I was a bit disappointed with the way the game started. The dream sequence was bizarre and didn't make much sense, although I've only played ten minutes so that's understandable. The "starting off with a teenager waking up in his bed" is probably the most overused way to start an RPG you can get. Also, I find it weird that he'd sleep in all his armour, and (I'm guessing he's a teenager) why does he have so much gear if he lives in this small village with his mom?

The town's mapping was decent but a bit tedious to walk through at times. I didn't understand why I had to go to the temple to get the Quest Log, seemed unnecessary to me. The music fit the town well. Not much to do there though, and even less people to talk to. (and this may be one of my pet peeves, but I don't like it when I can walk up to the edge of a map, I always expect some sort of teleport)

There was only one spelling error I found (a woman in the town says "feirce" instead of "fierce" monsters) and the dialogue was average.

The battles were nothing too spectacular, although they were nice and simple which I liked. I eventually stopped fighting the monsters because I got bored in the forest. (I don't mean that in a harsh way, but I've played so many VX games with the same battle system.) It's not you, I just like to have a little variety in battles and I'm sure others would agree. Also, this isn`t particularly your fault, but I found it weird walking in a forest with a bunch of moving black portals (but thank you for visible enemies!) I know VX is lacking in character sets but it`d be nice if you could get some that matched the enemies battler sprites.

I`d advice you to put some fogs and screen tints. When the dark forest and the cheery village have the same atmosphere, it doesn`t look very good. Even just a slightly darker screen in the forest can make a big difference.

Keep working at it. Next time though when you make a game, my advice would be to put it into Concept Development first to work on the story and characters, to flesh them out a little more and give it them some depth. (from what I can read in the main post I`m not a big fan, although I haven`t played much so I`ll leave it at that)

Oh, and by the way, I don`t see how `Mapped with RTP`, `Made by the creator of Lucid Awakening` and `thoroughly playtested` are features. Features are unique elements inside the game, not what else the creator made. The quest system sounds nice though and the `gates` give the game some replayability value.

Hmm well play through the entire thing before you make too many assumptions =)

Hmm yeah I don't like how the game starts either...so don't worry I'm aware of that haha. This is a beta...and it will probably be redone in many ways later on for the next release. Well he probably hunts monsters or something like that...that's my excuse for why he has armor =P

I've never been good at making NPC's, that is one of my weakest points. I never even bothered talking with the NPC's in Lucid Awakening. Well, I believe that if you make a town with edges of maps you can kind of cheat and make towns seem bigger without actually having to map them...like adding half a house on the edge of a map.

Yes I'd LOVE to have character sprites for the monsters...I don't like fighting black portals either ha. I would really like to have an ATB battle system...but there isn't any that I know of yet. I would love to have very fast paced battles and that could really only be done with an ATB.

Hmm, I'll take your advice about the fog and screen tints...I actually thought about that before that I need to do more visual effects.

Actually this was in concept development for a very long time haha. I really like the characters...and they are all going to be thoroughly explored in terms of personality, backstory, etc.

Yeah I guess those aren't really features haha. Sorry about that ^__^.

The main thing about this game is that I think I really want to...hmmm...almost completely redo it. I know I have put so much time into it, but with Lucid Awakening I completely scrapped it at least twice. And that turned out to be a pretty decent game (despite gigantic flaws...I actually want to remake Lucid Awakening sometime too maybe =) ).

I would really like to take my time with the mapping, change up the battle system, incorporate some sort of skill-learning system, maybe get better music, redo the world map, COMPLETELY redo the start of the game for BOTH major characters, enhance the depth and believability of the world and government/politics, develop more backstory and mythology to the world and characters...and lots more haha.

One thing I think I had right from the start was the characters. I want this to be...hmm almost like a mix of Final Fantasy 6 and 9. Just like in 9, almost all of the playable characters are introduced very early in the game. Then throughout the game there will be many separations, different (sometimes unexpected) parties, playing as different characters for periods of time, lots of side quests to reveal more about the characters...stuff like that. Even though the main two characters of the game are Kain and Maria, I am very comfortable with letting them take a backseat at times and letting a side character take a leading role for a small portion of time. I have no problem with that.

sillypieman":pljc6lcn said:
I've never been good at making NPC's, that is one of my weakest points. I never even bothered talking with the NPC's in Lucid Awakening. Well, I believe that if you make a town with edges of maps you can kind of cheat and make towns seem bigger without actually having to map them...like adding half a house on the edge of a map.
Like I said, just one of my pet peeves, not a huge deal though. Actually, having half a house makes it a little worse, because it gives the impression that you can go into it. Even just adding a bunch of trees to the side of the map makes things a little better.

Yes I'd LOVE to have character sprites for the monsters...I don't like fighting black portals either ha. I would really like to have an ATB battle system...but there isn't any that I know of yet. I would love to have very fast paced battles and that could really only be done with an ATB.
I could've sworn there was some sort of ATB for VX. Yeah, that'd improve the battles a lot, making things more action-oriented. If I ever find one, I'll let you know. :grin:

Actually this was in concept development for a very long time haha. I really like the characters...and they are all going to be thoroughly explored in terms of personality, backstory, etc.
Well, that's my bad, didn't realize. It's good about the characters, I guess it's impossible to tell a lot about a game from one post.

The main thing about this game is that I think I really want to...hmmm...almost completely redo it. I know I have put so much time into it, but with Lucid Awakening I completely scrapped it at least twice. And that turned out to be a pretty decent game (despite gigantic flaws...I actually want to remake Lucid Awakening sometime too maybe =) ).
Make sure to plan things before you do it though, this is one of my problems as I sometimes do things without thinking and often don't complete them. If you do feel like redoing it, then go slowly and surely. But remember to keep a forward momentum so as not to get bored with it.

Good luck sillypieman. Now that I think about it, this is actually one of the better VX games I've played, so kudos to you for that.

Thank you for all the advice Dadevster =).

Yeah, not planning is my biggest weakness...like with Lucid Awakening, I write the story and make the game as I go...and I usually only have small or major plot points planned in my head...sometimes I don't even know when or where exactly these plot points will happen lol. I'm actually very proud of the story and backstory of Lucid Awakening...so if I am happy with it I must be doing something right.

The only problem with kind of making it as you go is that you frequently dig yourself into plot holes or dead ends and have to redo large amounts of story and cutscenes.

Hey i finally completed the demo (I took ages getting the honey item i needed for cooking with Marian quest, eventually i just gave up and cheated (good thing you left the game unencrypted) to get it). As i said before i love this game and cant wait for future releases!

One more glitch for you :tongue: , after you get to play Maria a second time, you can skip past the cut scene in the forest (where you were attacked the first time) by using the warp point at the start of the forest, which stops the next few cut scenes from happening and you cant progress unless you go back to the forest and activate the cut scene. On a side note of this glitch... you can go up the stairs to meet the king and you might re-activate Kain's cut scene with the king, im not sure on this though as i didn't go up the stairs in case it stuffed up my game.

Also you may want to give the option for the player to save before the final cut scene or include a warning message that the game will end so the player can save before activating the final cut scene.

Also my final playtime was 3hrs 23mins... just in case you wanted to know

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.