Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content [VX] Omega Twilight

Dead content awaiting restoration.

Jeff

Looking over your first post, I think it is a bit too much on some things and too little on others. You might add some formatting to your post such as bolding or underlining text as well as summing up things in lists to give people the overview of what kind of features you have. I am always up for nonlinear games, but I assume there is some sort of underlying storyline to this or is this a more "ambient" kind of game where the main character just walks through life rather than being caught up in some sort of earth-shattering adventure? Because that is alright too. In that case, can you give us some information about the background and setting of your game? What kinds of things are going on and what are the people like? This will not only help us to understand which areas might need improvement, but also to get down your own thoughts on the matter to help you better construct a more immersive game. I must confess I did not read all of your first post because most of the text I read for half a page was almost a clarification or walkthrough of your game. I don't actually intend to play your game, so this doesn't really help me to address the conceptual stage of development, which you are going though now since you are here in Early Projects.

@Dark_Cover: Sorry, get me better tiles and I'll put them in my game lol.

@Jeff: Yeah I know my post is overwhelming.  This isn't really a project thread...it's actually more of a developer's blog or something.

Along with my next demo I am going to completely clean up my first post and make it more like a project thread.  Look at my Lucid Awakening thread and you'll see that I'm not bad at making project threads lol.

Yes, there is a story.  The side quests don't really have anything to do (usually) with the main story.  But you will always have a story quest available.  How it works is that you may need a certain amount of QP to do your next story part.  To get those QP you will need to do side quests.

In the area I'm working on right now, you have your next story quest available from the beginning.  But the thing is, the next story part will require you to finish that first story quest, as well as have a certain amount of QP.  So you can do it in any order you want; you could do the story quest first, then side quests, or the other way around.  I suggest doing the side quests first though because the story quest is really hard.

Good news (news is plural)!!!

Okay, so the thing is that for a while I really had stopped working on Omega Twilight...and sadly, I don't have an excuse (sorry, I haven't been secretly working on Lucid Awakening 2 :P).  But the good thing is that a week or so ago I started working hard on this again.  I'm very close to finishing Kain's part in Kallan (the second region you go to).

The other good news is that the scripter who was doing the Quest Log script for me has it finished!  The only thing is that it's still going to have to go through some testing, and then it will still take me even more time to actually set up the quests in the script.  Then I'll have to play test through the entire 1+ hour game -_-.  But still I suppose it's good news that I am still working on it ^_^.

And in case you're wondering, yes, I'm going to completely fix up my first post when I release the new demo.  Check my Lucid Awakening thread, you'll see that I'm capable of creating a [fairly] clean and organized project post.  I said this before, but just think of this as more of a developer's blog thread rather than a real project thread...I'll make it a real project thread though ^_^.

Not bad, for an RTP user...

anyways, have you already planned on choosing it's battle system? cause please, don't disappoint me with the default VX Battle system where only the enemy shows up static,    LOL. cause that what makes me don't wanna play VX, LOL. anyway, goodluck!

Lol I like the RTP.  And there's no good tilesets out there anyway...and there STILL isn't (to my knowledge) a complete set of tilesets that mix together that has everything you need for VX or XP...and that's saying something because XP has been out for a couple years now.

There are VERY few games I have played that don't use RTP where it doesn't look like crap because there is so much clashing going on.

It's the same thing basically with the battle system...I'm not going to switch to another battle system until there is a nice, solid one out that doesn't look horrible.  And no, I do not like the side-view battle systems where it's just the charactersets...those are boring.  Also, then the monsters are unproportional, and they usually aren't facing the party.

As for the battlesystem, I suggest you use Minkoff's animated battlers, where the sideview battlers won't just be those lame charsets, there's lots of cool animated battler out there, specially white ties style... you can also combine it with an RTAB, that would be cool... But I heavily suggest not to use the default VX battle system.

Yeah, but it's nearly impossible to find good battlers that match with each other, and match up with the VX charactersets.  Also, I don't think they have RTAB for VX....

I wonder why sillypieman would update his first post...perhaps there's a demo on the way in 2 - 3 weeks?

And could it be that there is a fully functional Quest Log?  Perhaps....

Also I need someone to do a title screen for me -_-.  Send me a PM or reply here if you're interested.

Edit: Should this thread be moved to a different section now?

Um...I suppose I should update with the fact that this is delayed until...well, until the scripter working with me can get the problems in the Quest Script fixed up.

I will try to get it out ASAP, but I can't give any specific timeline as the scripter is busy.  I can keep working on the story and stuff, and even the quests actually...so maybe the demo will be further than expected.

Hey, I can't beleive that I actually get to post this early in one of your game topics. This game is already going to be great if it's made by you. :-p, I am in the middle of playing LA, can't wait to see this game.

Aw thanks!!

Like I said in my LA thread, I haven't had internet at my house in a while so I don't really get to update or anything.  I haven't abandoned this...I work on it occasionally.  But I've been really busy so I haven't gotten much done.  Also the person doing my Quest Log script never responds to my PM's lol...and I want to wait until the script is fixed before I release a demo.

Just to update: Maria's initial chapter and Kain's part in Kallan are all done.  There's over an hour of gameplay I think.  I have JUST started Kain's next chapter as well as Maria's Kallan part.  Also there are a lot of really interesting plot things going on that I am very interested in...so I'm not going to abandon this project cuz I really want to know what happens lol.

For the fans I posted a new section on the first post.  It's a Characters section so you can get some info on some party members you'll be getting.  The list isn't really complete though...there's 1 I actually have sitting in my Actors database tab that's not on that list.  There's going to be more I'm sure...if I had to estimate I would say there will be 2 - 4 more party members that are not listed on the Characters section.

Enjoy! ^_^

Wow! What a ridiculous amount of downtime this thread has had!! Lol.

Hmm, well I've had my own downtime, I guess that's why. For the past couple month or so I have had no internet at my house. The only time I could get on the internet was when I would go to college...and I was usually too busy to update or anything when I was there. Buuuuttt now I have internet and I can start pleasing my adoring fans!! Lolz.

Okay, so here's the deal. I have been working on this here and there...I have not made significant progress...but there is well over an hour of gameplay as of now. I just sent a PM to Woratana who is scripting the Quest Log script. Really, the only that has prevented me from releasing a demo is this quest log. I am asking Woratana for a for us to get on an instant messenger and get this fixed once and for all.

SOOOO maybe I can actually have a fully functioning demo sometime soon!!! I think I'm more excited than anyone haha. As I've said many times before, I tend to write the stories as I go, so I'm surprised by what happens sometimes. The story isn't the best aspect of this game, but I AM really interested by some of the things that are developing in the story.

It moves along at a fairly good pace...although I think the quests sometimes feel almost like they are hindering the main story...that's something I don't really know what to do about though. I think the quests are a big part of the game and that that's one of the biggest things that make this game unique, so they're gonna stay.

A while back I posted a Character section on the first post, so if you haven't checked that out yet, you should. One other thing that I think a lot of people will like is the characters. While the characters themselves might not be the most creative, the way they are going to be used is pretty cool, I think. While Kain and Maria are the two main playable characters, there are going to be many times where people cross paths, change parties, etc. There's also going to be times where you will be controlling characters or whole parties that are NOT headed by Kain or Maria. These will be fairly short of course, but I think it will add interesting elements to the story and character progression.

Okay, peace out everyone =P

Yay for the return of the pieman! I was gonna bump this topic but it had already been past 30 days and i didn't want to necropost. Glad to hear you got your internet back, can't wait for demo and updates!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.