Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Eventing Workshop

Hey, everyone. I've recently picked up RMXP again, and I need to get back into the swing of things. So, I figured that the best way of doing so would be to take requests for eventing systems, simple or complex.

Now, if you're newer to the game, you might not know that battle systems are VERY complicated, and eventing is much more limited than scripting. So, while certain battle systems are technically possible, it's harder. I'll take the request if you've got an idea, but if I tell you it's not possible without scripting, don't say I didn't warn you. ^_^

So, if you want a sample of something I did, here's a basic sneak system I developed:

Sneak System Demo

Chase System as requested by Impreza
Features
  • System for detecting the player's presence within a line of vision
  • A pathfinding script is included (must paste it above 'main' in the script editor for this system to work)
  • The player is 'caught' when the character chasing is anywhere in the immediate vicinity of the player
  • A cooldown period to stop the chase if the player can avoid the chaser's eyeline for a certain amount of time

Day/Night System requested by Near
Features:
  • Four times (Dawn, Day, Dusk, Night)
  • An internal clock that can be displayed at any time
  • All times coordinate with switches to set conditions for certain times a day
  • Common events to go inside and outside to prevent screen tone from changing while indoors

All right... I think I've got an idea... (Don't know much about the scripting or those built-in variables, but I'll look at it.) It'll probably take me a while though because if you want pictures, we're dealing with some MASSIVE events. (Or at least one massive event for dealing with all 60 minute possibilities)

Zeriab

Sponsor

It sounds like you want 60 pictures for each minute =o
If that is the case I suggest that you instead use two pictures.
One for 10s and one for 1s
That way you only need 10 pictures and only have 16-17 possibilities to worry about.

Oh, I know. That's what I did. I'm actually done with the event system... but OrbitFiles has decided to randomly screw up AGAIN and FileDen doesn't allow RMXP files to be uploaded... So, I have no way uploading it right now...

Ah, okay, it's up! There is no time of day set at the beginning of the game. (You might want to set it to night or something because it's 12 AM) Also, I'm a bit visually impared, so you might want to mess with the screen tones a little yourself, but you've got the framework and the pictures you need in there.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything!

That depends on what you want the ABS to do. Do you just mean like... being able to run around the map and hit things. It would be REALLY complicated, but I have actually done something similar before. I don't have it anymore, but I might be able to duplicate it...

Well, just running around and hitting monsters can be pain to make, but once you learn how to do it, it just gets easier. I once made a shooting ABS, that supported up to 18 monsters per map, and you could make it so they respawned or not. But it's kind of funny, because when I first started figuring out how to use events, I had an ABS that made you hit a random enemy every time you hit the C button, and after the enemies were dead, they would still attack you...

Heheheh. Yeah... This stuff is difficult to logic out sometimes, and even then I've had times when I can find absolutely no flaws in my logic, but RMXP just doesn't want to do what I'm telling it to do. I've actually been having that problem with the second request from Impreza, but I haven't gotten an answer to my question, so I'm not sure which angle to approach it from.

The system I had would display a random picture with a letter on it on the screen, and you'd have to press that key to attack, otherwise you take damage. It was a little clunky though. Now that I'm learning some basic RGSS, some of this stuff is easier to do with a call script command.

Taking requests is basically a refresher/learning process for me. That time system actually taught me a few things using mathmatic scripting and such. I lost interest in RPG Maker for a while because I had a project I was working my ass off on, and then it turned out that the system I was sort of basing the game around was something that NOBODY could figure out how to do properly, so I just gave up after months of trying. I'm actually trying to think of a new idea for a game, maybe revamp my old one, but another problem I was running into was the lack of graphics, and it's really difficult to find people who will do several sprites and battlers for free. I can see why, of course, it was just really discouraging.

I won't ask for money because I'd rather not give out my personal information to receive any kind of payment. LOL I'm not affiliated with any company or anything, and it would be extremely easy to get ripped off in this kind of setting. I'll just wait to graduate college to make money doing this stuff. (Though probably not with RPG Maker...)

I have a basic background in C++, and come next semester I'll be working on PHP and Visual Basic. I REALLY wish my school offered a class in Ruby... That'd be awesome... But, I'll be headed off after my associates in programming to get a bachelor's in video game development.

But, for now, I'll stick with eventing and learning RGSS in tiny bits and pieces. ^_^

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.