Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Eventing Workshop

Hey, everyone. I've recently picked up RMXP again, and I need to get back into the swing of things. So, I figured that the best way of doing so would be to take requests for eventing systems, simple or complex.

Now, if you're newer to the game, you might not know that battle systems are VERY complicated, and eventing is much more limited than scripting. So, while certain battle systems are technically possible, it's harder. I'll take the request if you've got an idea, but if I tell you it's not possible without scripting, don't say I didn't warn you. ^_^

So, if you want a sample of something I did, here's a basic sneak system I developed:

Sneak System Demo

Chase System as requested by Impreza
Features
  • System for detecting the player's presence within a line of vision
  • A pathfinding script is included (must paste it above 'main' in the script editor for this system to work)
  • The player is 'caught' when the character chasing is anywhere in the immediate vicinity of the player
  • A cooldown period to stop the chase if the player can avoid the chaser's eyeline for a certain amount of time

Day/Night System requested by Near
Features:
  • Four times (Dawn, Day, Dusk, Night)
  • An internal clock that can be displayed at any time
  • All times coordinate with switches to set conditions for certain times a day
  • Common events to go inside and outside to prevent screen tone from changing while indoors

Erm...just want to test if this possible. Erm...basically it's based on GTA, the poilce pursuit system and combine with Metal Gear Solid, the detection system.

Description:

First, the player steals something in front of the police line of sight that will trigger the police pursuit system. If the police touch the player for a few seconds, the player is considered arrested and will take to the Police Station. If they managed to get out of the police line of sight then, a cooldown meter will appear and strart fill up. If filled up, then the police won't chase the player anymore. But, let say, if the player is in the middle of cooldown phase but was detected by the police, then the pursuit will start all over again.

Sorry if the description seems confusing. I'm not so good in explaining thing. But, basically it's just like GTA...

I think I understand what you mean, and it is possible. In fact, some of the ideas will work the same as that sneak system. Give me a few days and I'll work on it. I'll PM you if I have any questions, or you can post here/PM me if you have anything to add.

Okay, for this to work properly, we're going to need a pathfinding script. If an event is supposed to chase another and runs into something, it'll just stay there until the player's location tells the event to go in a different direction. This won't be too big of a problem (I don't think) because there have been some developed. I'll have to find one and figure out how to make it work with the system.

All right. I've added the Chase System that Impreza requested. It's pretty freakin' complicated and involves some scripting, but it works. It's just the basic system though. (That almost sounds contradictory). I'll be happy to explain it if need be.

Wow! You're just work real fast...

I've downloaded and have a try...It's good! With some basic editing, I think I could achieved what I want...Thanks, Phoenix!

P.S: Urm...have another request....will you take it?

Erm basically this one is like a fuel/battery system.

Description:

Basically when a player is driving a car after a while, the car will ran out of gas. The player will then have to buy some gas to refuel his car or the car won't move! Also, the player can refuel anytime if he/she found the gas station. And to make it easier, you can make the fuel act as the car's SP. So, if the car's SP is 0, then it can't move.

Erm...you can understand right? As I said, I'm not so good in explaining things.

IMPREZA

Heh... can i get a day and night system, with changing panoramas based on the time of day, and screen tone based on the time of day, and i'd like to go with it, an internal clock with a fully evented HUD to tell you what time it is, with pictures (no show text or watch items).

That was the hardest thing I ever made, and I lost it... so do you think you can do that?

I'll give it a try. Hell... I might reuse the HUD script you just gave me to create the clock window. ^_^ Thanks for that, by the way. I credited you in the script.

Or, did you mean displaying pictures with numbers on them to make up the time? (Didn't quite understand that part.)

Two more questions, just so i get this exactly how you want it:

1. What times of day do you want? (Just day and night, or dawn and dusk as well)
2. How do you want the clock to work? Like... real-time, or maybe one game-minute = one real-second?)

...Are you sure... Real-time like that doesn't work unless you've got something that will keep running the timer even when the game is off, or an MMO. Do you want your days shorter or something...? I'm really not understanding how this is going to work. People would have to actually play the game for 24 hours to get through an entire day.

...But that doesn't explain anything to me. If the game is in real time, it doesn't matter how you measure that. You'd still have to play the game for 24 hours to get through just one complete transition if it's a 1-second to 1-second ratio.

I'm sorry... I'm just trying to understand how this is supposed to logically work. I mean... I can do it, but it wouldn't make any sense for the player... unless your game is intended to have like a time-limit of one day, sort of like an episode of "24".

Zeriab

Sponsor

Near":3j4xmshn said:
No, because the time should be stored in 2 variables(hours and minutes).
Why store it in 2 variables when its significantly easier just to use 1 variable?
I would suggest just using 1 variable for the system and then create an common event for fetching the hours and minutes into two variables if you have a need for that.

I.e.
Hours = Total_Minutes / 60
Minutes = Total_Minutes mod 60

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.