Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What are you reading?

That book is actually very good. I love the overall writing style of it. It never really took itself extremely seriously even though it was a somewhat serious topic, which is what I loved about it. :D

Yeah. And I have to write a serious essay on it for a test on Monday. It's almost too funny to make it's point, even though several extremely serious themes are present.

I'm reading Boneshaker by Cherie Priest right now. It's pretty good so far, I guess, although at times the writing seems amateur-ish. It's an alternative history book set in Civil War-era Seattle, with a steampunk twist. During the Gold Rush, a scientist built an enormous drilling machine called the Boneshaker. But a test run went awry and destroyed half of downtown Seattle, as well as releasing a deadly gas into the city called the Blight. The book is set a few years later, after an enormous wall is built up around the ruined Seattle, and tells the story of a woman and her son. If you're into steampunk it's a good read.

e

Sponsor

If you like it, wait until you're in your twenties, then read Generation X by Douglas Coupland. Both had the same effect on me, except at very different ages.

I've started Nation, by Terry Pratchett. It's interesting so far but I haven't got very deep into it yet.

Good Omens and Only You Can Save Mankind were good (two of his other non-Discworld novels). I haven't read the Johnny series yet.

terry pratchett's a very good author, the mass produced but still good type. The better ones of his discworld series at the money/stamps guy, from going postal, the wizard guy, and the watch. The other ones didn't interest me that much, though I tried.

Nation was moderately alright. Didn't have the humour I liked, and was the slow to start kind.

regi

Sponsor

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. It's a fine detective novel (supposedly the very first written) if you're interested in mystery. The beginning starts off slow, but things pick up after a few tens of pages.

I'm reading Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld. Haven't gotten very far into it yet, but it's an alternative history steampunk version of World War I, kinda. The writing itself is alright so far but the illustrations by Keith Thompson are incredible and are pretty much half the reason I'm reading it. Check this out:

grandmap.jpg

:heart: :heart: :heart:

That is one of the coolest things ever o:

tao-of-pooh.jpg

I found this on my shelf and was like, what the hell how can you not be somewhat intrigued.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.