Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What are you reading?

e

Sponsor

Guardian":37htsjol said:
I just got finished reading a book called Infoquake by David Louis Edelman.

infoquake-mm-medium.jpg

(Click for Official Website)

Overall, I think this was a very interesting book. The concept was original and I enjoyed how you're slowly eased into the world that Edelman created in this novel. It can be a little dry at times, but for those of you who enjoy thinking about a possible route humans and businesses will take, you'll definitely enjoy it. The story itself was just so-so and the main character is way too "perfect" for my tastes, but it's the theories, ideas, and directions that humans took in Infoquake that got me interested. I honestly don't see myself buying the next book in the trilogy (MultiReal) simply because I've gotten most of what I personally liked out of the story (how the government and businesses work), but that's just my personal taste talking. :P

I picked up Sigmund Freud's Interpretation of Dreams while I was in Borders a few days ago, but I didn't buy it for whatever reason. I was certainly enjoying the book, however, so I'm considering going back and buying it.

The Interpretation of Dreams is a terrible book full of bullshit. Admittedly, it was probably incredible at the time, but nowadays so many parts of it are wrong that you can't help but scoff at it. If you're interested in dreams, I'd recommend some of Carl Jung's later stuff instead: it's a lot more logical and scientific in its approach.

Yeah I was picking out things that weren't right, but I was still enjoying it. I like learning about the different theories, even if they've been proven wrong. I'll definitely check out Jung's stuff, though. I also want to get into his theories about the collective unconscious. :)

Spoo

Sponsor

I finally got over my prejudiced view on Twilight and read the books. While it's not near as bad as the movie, it's still not as great as people make it out to be. I've started on The Host now, which is much better. Myers should write more like it.

Also, has anyone read The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown yet? I like his books but idk about this one.

yeah it's a good read (TLS), and i like the subject, even more than the antimatter of angels and demons
it's about a research to MINDPOWER , (and the freemasons)

I just finished Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion.

For a scientific text it was absolutely hilarious, if he didn't become a biologist, Richard would be a comedian

Spoo

Sponsor

I'm almost done with The Elder Gods, part one of the Dreamers series by David Eddings.

Imo it's pretty generic fantasy but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

King of screwups by kl going. The premise was awesome, but I'd preferred a bit less flashbacks.

The knife of never letting go by patrick ness, part 1 of the chaos walking trilogy. Too many words but good never the less, although the ending was such a cliffhanger and ugh...

A reluctant and amazingly good looking hero. Not sure about the title; I'd lent it to this friend I know. Good and funny, but the protaganist was the most assholey person I can ever imagine, EVER. Although he changed at the end, like everyone'd suspected, it happened too fast.

And the one I'm currently reading, Shades of grey by Jasper fforde. Not as funny as the nursery crime series, and the humor and prose is a bit contemporary, but works well enough for me.

candle

Sponsor

The Dragon Book. its a collection of short stories about dragons written by many of the most current and popular fantasy writers like diana gabaldon, tamora pierce, and tad williams

I'm reading "The Gospel According to Jesus Christ". I'm finding it tough going due to the overwhelming number of prose conversations - however, those same prose conversations also give it an... authenticity in that it feels like the author is paraphrasing what the various characters actually said rather than put some pretty awkward dialogue into the mouths of... say, Mary and Joseph.

Spoo

Sponsor

We finished Of Mice and Men at school the other day. It's short but it actually was pretty enjoyable. It might have been better if it weren't censored. Freakin' schools' rules.

lol why dont you just go to the library
also i've been starting on stieg larsson's millenium series, but i can't seem to get in a reading habit lately

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.