Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Mirror Lied

The Mirror Lied

Reives":3ny1wck5 said:
Just think that it's not scary and it won't be. c:

It's just the fact that you play as a little girl...  I downloaded the Unencrypted version (sorry, just saw the link so I went ahead), so just to make gameplay less disturbing for me, I might change her graphic to something else.

Mm, good luck finding your way through the censored/badly filtered tileset, then. :p I really don't recommend it, but eh, can't stop ya.

I'm not completely sure why I put this in a spoiler box but...
It kind of freaked me out when at the end the game shut itself off, also in the room with the computer the map on the wall started to disappear :crazy:

Reives":uak65t3t said:
Mm, good luck finding your way through the censored/badly filtered tileset, then. :p I really don't recommend it, but eh, can't stop ya.

I noticed the tileset was really blurry..

I don't intend to play this for the same reason I won't go through the haunted house in Quintessence. Horror in RMXP is hard to create, but you seem to pull it off just fine.
(And here, you didn't even seem to intend it! :O)

Why even bother posting, if all you're gonna say is that you don't intend to play? What a useless comment. Please refrain from such spam in the future.
Luminier

King Red Of Pancake Town":22k6si56 said:
I don't intend to play this for the same reason I won't go through the haunted house in Quintessence. Horror in RMXP is hard to create, but you seem to pull it off just fine.
(And here, you didn't even seem to intend it! :O)

Why even bother posting, if all you're gonna say is that you don't intend to play? What a useless comment. Please refrain from such spam in the future.
Luminier

Oh my god, I've lost all hope in humanity. Please die.

mawk

Sponsor

it's not really scary unless you're the sort of person who'll jump at his own shadow if you're given a dark and lonely atmosphere. unfortunately, i am that sort of person, at least at night. ;=;

As I promised, this post contains the unencrypted file
*If you are looking to play it for the first time, do not use the unencrypted file - its graphics are censored with filter-slappers.

Note that this would probably kill the game a little, since things are often less interesting when it's gutted open. Don't expect anything revealing or whatnot - What you see is what you got; there's no conspiracy going on in its design.  :smile:

http://www.quintessence-tbv.com/TheMirrorLied_Unenc.exe

[My apologies that I had to censor the tileset with a filter, as I do not have its distribution right. You can easily find the sources that they were compiled from, mainly from Zanyzora's site - a quick google search of "Zanyzora RMXP" should do. c:

Enjoy! And sorry for the messy design; I didn't take much time for organization for such a short project, heheh. Anyhow, hope this can be fun for some; I myself enjoy poking around others' unencrypted projects for the hell of it, heheh.

I still can't figure out how the cabinets dissapeared? O_O

still, it was pretty fun to see, kinda expected it too be as such XD great job :P

Taylor

Sponsor

I feel awkward now after playing this.
holy crap the world is disappearing i saw it i swear

... yes even with no eyes
Is there meant to be some symbolism in here or what?

EDIT:
A few progress halting and odd bugs, and a question:
- The first phone call can be avoided by getting the wooden key early. (This doesn't seem to affect gameplay.)
- If the 3:26 call is missed, it never comes back, unlike others. This prevents you from progressing.
- After returning upstairs when flipping Switch 3 you have only 4HP.
- When everything is in flames, if you return to the basement, you get throwen back up. Then, if you move left when back upstairs you become trapped. The postion you are transfered to becomes impassable.

- Is there a point to the smelly globe, microscope and vanishing cabinets? Can you ever open the cabinet? I tried several play throughs of the first 4 mins of the game and couldn't find nuthin.

There were also a few perfection hitches but this is only a 20 minute game so pointing them out might seem rude. <D

@Jirby:
Eh, I'm pretty sure the 3:26 call will ring again if you miss it. However, it is randomized - so it may not ring again when you step into another room. The chance is 1/3 or something, if I remember right. The 4hp thing is intended. The stair stuck thing obviously isn't though, heheh - My bad, I forgot to fix that bug. D:

As for the items; as I've mentioned a few times, while there were (sometimes vague and/or multiple) intentions for their existence when I made them, I have nothing set to say here as facts. I believe I did post a few of my interpretations of some of them in some of my earlier replies, though. c:

Oh, and the cabinets' disappearance, monkey, was just setting off a trigger when the player touches the cabinet, then another event with that condition makes it disappear whenever player faces away from them after that.

Speaking of which, another use for the unencrypted version would be an (although rather crude) example for people who are new to evented title screens. Nothing overly complicated, but it might help to get started on its concept to see it in action for those who needs.  :smile:

I like evented title screens, I think I use the same script you are, since I have that title glitch as well >_> I just make game overs evented as well so the only way players ever see it is if they for some reason decides to go to the title from the menu.

Heheh yeah, that's what I did with my battle system on the other game, I think. And I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure that it's not too tedious to get the title "glitch" sorted - But the laziness, argh.

Would you consider it strange that I just saw your title and thought "The Mirror 'Leeed'", such as the title in a certain Anime? =P

Anyway, I think it's cool how you have a side project going on here, I hope it didn't distract you from Quintessence too much! Lol. I'd play it now but it's nighttime, and I've heard it's a little eerie, and I am VERY easily scared (I had to call two people to watch the computer with me while I did your haunted cave in Quintessence because I was a bit freaked out. Of course, I called them under the guide of 'hey guys check out this really cool thing!'")

Tomorrow I'll probably check it out, it sounds like a nice quick break if it's only about 20 min long.

@Eric:
I suppose it may have subconsciously wandered to my mind when I named it. :p But I think I'm going with "L-I-d" rather than "Leed" this time, heheh. Hope it wasn't that bad; the game itself is nothing scary or anything for the most part - it's whatever the player thinks that scares themselves.

@min:
Thank you, and thanks for playing.
---------------------

Here is the extended version of The Mirror Lied theme song:

http://www.quintessence-tbv.com/The_Mir ... d(Extended)-KRG.mp3
[Free for use, credit goes to Reives. If you are using it commercially, let me know by dropping off a note here.]

Enjoy. c:

Well, I've been trying to post on this topic after beating it since yesterday but for some reason my computer was refusing to let it happen (but still accessing other parts of the forum.)

It's a very thought provoking game, quite enjoyable, and difficult enough for you to beat without tearing your hair out but not getting bored either. I recommend anyone reading this topic to download the game and try it out, it only takes 25 or so minutes to complete, if even.

Taylor

Sponsor

I thought the title was to do with a mirror. Yet strangely enough the title features a clock instead. (Well there's a reason for that but whatever.)

The mirror lied because you look in the mirror and expect to see your face. The girl is faceless, so if she saw a face the mirror will have lied. :3

I don't recall there being any mirrors in the house...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.