Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content The Crimson Rune: Prologue [Updated!]

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Small Update:

I have fixed a few errors that were bugging me and I have fixed a big error that no one seemed to notice. All the saved Game Files will work perfectly so just copy them over.

I hope everyone enjoys the game so far. I'm hard at work mapping and eventing the next chapter. No ETA as of yet, but I think it'll be a good one, It'll be where the story really starts.

Reives;272982 said:
Ah, great. Is the battle system running fine now by the way?

The Battle Systems runs fine for me and the Beta-Testers didn't have any problems. There is a small problem with the Experience Script where it has a tendency to skip levels every now and then, but I have been assured by the Script's creator [Dargor] that he is working on the problem.

Reives said:
And the biggest thing: A bug with the battle script. When I win a battle/level up, the game crashes. Hence I had to run away from every battle, which made the above point extremely inconvenient. It also prevented me from getting strong enough to beat the earth elemental, which I think halted my progression in the story itself.

You seem to be the only one that has gotten that error. Try the new version and see if you still get that error. If you do then can you send me a picture of the error message and description of where it actually appears. That way I can see if I troubleshoot the error and hopefully fix it for you.

Thanks for playing. Let me know if it works for you.

~Firestalker

Yeah, that's true. My comp seems to crash with Utopian Chaos and Memento Vivere too. ._. runs fine for everyone else, so no worries about it.

XcuMaSoft;275976 said:
how long is this game?

I've clocked the game at just about an hour and a half, but I was flying through it and knew where I was going. I would say for someone that doesn't look for the secrets and just plays the game... about 2 hours.

You can probably make it 1.5 hours if you really tried.

gamgre

I Like the game. I can't exactly figure out what I'm doing at the moment, though. Earth girl keeps stomping my sorry arss and if there is way around the mountain, to the ruins I suppose, I can't seem to find it either :P

So far so good, the monsters are a bit strong and I would say the timing in battle should be looked at a tad. Over all this is a great game!
Keep up the great work man, I'm already hooked! :D

I'm currently just updating the game.  I've added a new map, updated some mapping, and changed the experience system again.  I've also changed the dialogue system to a more cohesive style.

You have to get to the mountain.  Just follow the path to the south and go to the little nitch and go up.  You'll enter the Mountain Path and then you just go around from there.

What exactly do you mean aboiut the pacing of the battle's?  I'll look into it, see what I can do.

The earth chick is supposed to be fought around lvl 8 to 15.  I suggest going to the ruins first and then coming back to that, but I have to say that you should definitely fight her before you go back to the castle after you go to the ruins.

Trust me on that one.  You'll miss your chance at a special treat.

I decided to encrypt the game this last time because I felt the game would become too easy if I didn't.  Also I have a few riddles and puzzles in the game would be way to easy if you were able to get into the project file and fiddle with the event.

It was a decision that goes against my usual, openness, nature.  But it was a decision that I felt would keep the difficulty to the level I wanted it for everyone playing the game.

If you want a script of resource from my game then all you have to do is ask and I will be glad to give it to you [If I made it myself] or I will gladly point you to the website, artist, author I recieved the resource from.

Thank you for playing the game.  Please provide feedback.  I always love feedback.

Did you equip all the equipment you bought?  He's not really meant to go out without equipment.  Trust me I give you plenty of money to buy one of each piece of equipment in the store in the castle at the beginning of the game.

I don't make the game easy for you, but I do set you up with a decent advantage.  Just try it out.

when i played the game you only get 1000 only enough for a breast plate and when i equip it the defense remain at 1 : nvm

Edit so what level do you have to be to beat the harpie queen

edit: so the harpie queen can't be defeated if i'm only level 4

roughly about lvl 6-10.  hint just kill the Queen the henchman will die after that no matter how much HP they have.

You get more money in the castle if you explore and find the treasury [you'll know it when you see it]. 

Just an Update for anyone still interested:

I have uploaded a new version of the game, I'll put the link here as well as the OP.

http://files.filefront.com/The+Crimson+Rune+Prologueexe/;10139927;/fileinfo.html

Just a few things:
  • If you wait long enough on the titlescreen you'll be given a short credit sequence. Hit ENTER or ESC to return to the titlescreen.
  • If you hit SHIFT while on the map you'll be given the choice to go to the QUEST or OPTIONS screens.
  • Whenever the words "Warning" or "Danger" appear above your head you can hit ENTER, SPACE, or C and skip the impending battle. [some battles are unskippable and you can only a few number of battle before you have to fight]
  • There are a few events and side quests in the game that are level specific.
  • I have plans to write a Strategy Guide some time soon. Until then, I'll help anyway I can.

I have made quite a few upgrades to the game.  I have written a few of my own scripts [ :thumb: YAY! me!] and I have been able to edit some of the scripts I got to better fit my needs.  I have also done some of the spriting work myself [which I suck at so you'll know when they appear].  I've changed some the events to better tell the story and I have made it tie in to Chapter One a little better.

I hope you all enjoyed the game.  I would love feed back.

tai

I played a little of the prologue, I can tell it's a job very well done. Two things really frustrated me:

1. text speed is too slow. I can't skip the plot dialogues, so I'm just sitting there pressing x (my action key) as fast as I can. I think I can read at a rate 3 times faster than that of the text coming out, and speaking isn't even that slow, if that's the effect you want to achieve.

2. I died the first battle. Is that my trademark or something? It was against a hornet and a bandit leader. Wasn't really expecting a battle either, since you said that a 'warning' or 'danger' would pop up. Phire didn't have any skills so I assumed that Surge wouldn't have any either, until it was too late. The interface is hard to use too, I never liked RMXP's front-view battle interface, and the colours aren't the best (they're not bad, they just aren't good). I think I'm going to have to go with the 'slow' or with the semi-active option.

Normally, these two things would really deter me from continuing the game but I can tell that you spent a lot of time in making this as detailed as possible (e.g. the mapping, the comedic cut-scenes) so I'll play around a bit more later on.

p.s. I died the second battle too. (under default settings) A goblin mage and fighter.
ugh. I'd change difficulties but I don't want to re-watch that entire prologue sequence (see point #1)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.