Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content The Crimson Rune: Prologue [Updated!]

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Whew RTP city, it's not everyday Arshes gets to test out his sword on some tough Sahagin skin, thanks to the custom char designs and spriters.

G-man;251508 said:
Whew RTP city, it's not everyday Arshes gets to test out his sword on some tough Sahagin skin, thanks to the custom char designs and spriters.

Umm..... should I be insulted or gratiful that you pointed out that I used the RTP [and Arshes as my main]? I've never completely understood the hatred of Arshes. Why is it that everyone hates him so?

UPDATE:
ME said:
The revamp will be out on Monday...

It turns out that I overestimated the amount of time I would have to work on my game this past weekend. The revamps are finished, but I have to run through to make sure everything is on the up and up. Tomorrow, definitely.

I'll post some screenshots of some of the remapped areas later today to show you all the work.

Stay shiny,
Firestalker

Firestalker5;251995 said:
Umm..... should I be insulted or gratiful that you pointed out that I used the RTP [and Arshes as my main]? I've never completely understood the hatred of Arshes. Why is it that everyone hates him so?

Simply the fact that some people feel that he is overused, and associate him with poor "Newbie Crap" projects. Ignore it, do what you want. After all, it's YOUR game.

Nice project thread, but I have one small suggestion. For the last screen shot, you should either flip horizontally or vertically (or both) the positions of the dead soldiers. After all, it looks weird that 6 soldiers dying position is the same exact thing.

I see that you are starting to recolor some tilesets. :) Good step! Downloading at the moment, will give some feedback later.

Give it a try guys; the guy certainly seemed to work hard on it.

Okay, downloaded and played.

I have to say that there has been much improvements from the last version I've played. Gives off a much more professional appearance, to say the least. :)

As the actual game began though, my first reaction was "wtf?" for obvious reasons. :p And I thought it was just a short parody, but I was wrong. Reivier sure plays a good Arshes though, hahah. Was quite surprisingly amusing to find it out. And personally, I like your Reivier's character better than mine. :p Good job on developing a recognizable personality.

As for the mapping, it was easy on the eye. One thing I noticed though was that the mountain way was a lot better mapped than the other parts. Partly it was due to the implementation of edits and addons, but overall there was a good sense of elevation and shape - kudos on that.

Some other things I liked:
-Details: e.g. bird flies across the screen when you exit a cave.
-"This is the traditional weapon for a 15 year old prince."
-"You took all of the man's money"
-A good sense of exploration feeling to it
-Some dialogues really did give me a good chuckle.

Bugs/Things that should be improved:
-I suggest fading off BGMs when switching them from scene to scene instead of directly cutting it off with a new one. Feels a lot more smoother that way, in my opinion.
-The jails at the palace - you cannot go through the open doors.
-A more progressive feel - While I do get the exploration aspect, I often feel that I am just wandering around for no real reason.
-Battle trigger should be set to more steps - there are times where I walk 3 steps and enter another battle.
-And the biggest thing: A bug with the battle script. When I win a battle/level up, the game crashes. Hence I had to run away from every battle, which made the above point extremely inconvenient. It also prevented me from getting strong enough to beat the earth elemental, which I think halted my progression in the story itself.

And on an ending note, congratulations for the notable improvement from the last demo I played. :) Hope ya keep it up!

Cygnea

Sponsor

Just wanted to comment on that bug Reives pointed out about leveling up and crashing the game - I never encountered anything like it. :-/

Reives;254055 said:
Okay, downloaded and played.

I have to say that there has been much improvements from the last version I've played. Gives off a much more professional appearance, to say the least. :)

As the actual game began though, my first reaction was "wtf?" for obvious reasons. :p And I thought it was just a short parody, but I was wrong. Reivier sure plays a good Arshes though, hahah. Was quite surprisingly amusing to find it out. And personally, I like your Reivier's character better than mine. :p Good job on developing a recognizable personality.

As for the mapping, it was easy on the eye. One thing I noticed though was that the mountain way was a lot better mapped than the other parts. Partly it was due to the implementation of edits and addons, but overall there was a good sense of elevation and shape - kudos on that.

Some other things I liked:
-Details: e.g. bird flies across the screen when you exit a cave.
-"This is the traditional weapon for a 15 year old prince."
-"You took all of the man's money"
-A good sense of exploration feeling to it
-Some dialogues really did give me a good chuckle.

Bugs/Things that should be improved:
-I suggest fading off BGMs when switching them from scene to scene instead of directly cutting it off with a new one. Feels a lot more smoother that way, in my opinion.
-The jails at the palace - you cannot go through the open doors.
-A more progressive feel - While I do get the exploration aspect, I often feel that I am just wandering around for no real reason.
-Battle trigger should be set to more steps - there are times where I walk 3 steps and enter another battle.
-And the biggest thing: A bug with the battle script. When I win a battle/level up, the game crashes. Hence I had to run away from every battle, which made the above point extremely inconvenient. It also prevented me from getting strong enough to beat the earth elemental, which I think halted my progression in the story itself.

And on an ending note, congratulations for the notable improvement from the last demo I played. :) Hope ya keep it up!

What was the error Reives? I haven't heard of the error and I never got that.

Maybe post a screenshot of it and I'll see if I can't look into the cause of it. Sorry you weren'at able to continue... Let me know the error and I'll get that looked into and hopefully fixed so you can continue.

The game automatically installs the fonts needed to play the game. Enjoy and let me know the feedback, I love feedback. If you have a problem with starting the game it might be the Auto font installer. Just manually install the fonts in the "FONTS" folder and that should fix the problem.

I received this error after I attempted to play the game and, pardon my ignorance, I am not sure how to, nor where to for that matter, manually install the fonts that came with the download. A shove in the right direction would be very much appreciated. :)

Seems pretty neat so far. I really like the dialogue; parts of it are quite funny.

What menu system are you using? It seems similar to the one from Dark Eternal.

ImmuneEntity;254854 said:
Seems pretty neat so far. I really like the dialogue; parts of it are quite funny.

What menu system are you using? It seems similar to the one from Dark Eternal.

I'm using Catchm's FFX-2 menu system. The graphics are actually from Rep that I modified to fit my needs.

UPDATE:

Just a small update.
I have uploaded a new version that has addressed most of the errors that Cygnea has pointed out in her review. You do not have to redownload if you have already downloaded the previous version as it changes nothing in the story. The changes are mostly cosmetic in nature and really only make the game closer to being error free.

I hope you all are enjoying the game. Let me know what you think and if you like the game enough tell your friends.

Stay Shiny,
Firestalker

Cool, I remember this game from last year. Had no idea you were still working on it! I will download it after work.

edit: okay downloaded, started playing.

I have to say that I am upset with how long the intro is + the slow text speed. If you give the option of a fast/instant text speed, the long intro will be more palatable. As it is, i'm still hitting the action button trying to slog through this longass intro so I can get to the game. :(

I do like the unintentional dyphemisms in this game. "I intended to keep my little boy little". Nice!

Diedrupo;255307 said:
Cool, I remember this game from last year. Had no idea you were still working on it! I will download it after work.

edit: okay downloaded, started playing.

I have to say that I am upset with how long the intro is + the slow text speed. If you give the option of a fast/instant text speed, the long intro will be more palatable. As it is, i'm still hitting the action button trying to slog through this longass intro so I can get to the game. :(

I do like the unintentional dyphemisms in this game. "I intended to keep my little boy little". Nice!

That whole line is actually "I intended to keep my little boy little for a least another year." I think I see the confusion, but the line is what the line is. I might change it later, but for now I'm mapping out Chapter One.

I don't believe the intro is too long. I think the intro is just fine, with just enough information to get you going with. I also made it so you can't hit the action button get through the intro by skipping the dialogue... Did that part get screwed up?

I'll take your suggestion of the text speed configuration under consideration. I personally think the dialogue goes a little too fast, but to each their own.

I hope by now you have managed to get past the intro and into the actual game play... What do you think? I love feedback and would love to have people tell me what they think. Good, bad, or ugly, I love it all.

Tell me what you all think of the game so far. The game's going to twist a lot in Chapter One.... I have a strange direction I want to go with it. I'll give you a hint.... Actually no I won't :evil::fire02: . XD

I'm also working on a non-RMXP project. It's a fan-film I wrote, I have to draw Storyboards for it and I suck at drawing. Hopefully I can just sketch it out and then give them to my brother to "clean them up". As soon as I get done with them I'll be back on the new chapter full time.

I hope you all enjoy the game... Give me feedback and tell your friends if you like the game. If you don't like the game the KEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT!!!
8-)

Thank you,
Firestalker

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.