Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Blacksmith's Apprentice

The Blacksmith's Apprentice - Version 1.5 released

Looks really cool, can't wait to play this and see how the storyline continues. Can you estimate the time it will take you to finish the 2nd book?
-Remoba

BrunoTR":3gx36lbi said:
I like the city, though I would suggest a bit more variation in the building architecture. Just a bit samey everywhere...

Hmm... Unfortunately, I see what you mean. It's my first big city, so I'm no expert. Any specific suggestions? I may throw the screenshot onto the Mapping Improvement Thread.

I dunno, just needs different architectural designs in the buildings. Try different buildings from the others RTP sets. Also, on the ultimate exterior sheet, there's different city town roof colours. Just try not to make the whole thing look samey all over.

Hey, I downloaded your demo, and so far it's really fun, but I am currently stuck trying to find the mayor's son (I would give more names but I completely forgot them)

Hey Juno i downloaded the game file and the audio files, but when I opened the game it said it couldn't find the audio. I already decompressed it. What do I need to do?

Ignore that, I just forgot to move the audio files.

boomerboy":1kfva949 said:
hey Juno I am just wondering where you got the tiles for the path in the first town.
Are you talking about Willow Glen, or Thornbury? Willow Glen uses the RTP, Thornbury uses a recolored autotile that I made myself (from the RTP).
Zorf2222":1kfva949 said:
I don't know if it is a bug, but when you rest, your unconsciousness stays.

That's not a bug, it's by design. When you're unconscious, it's usually due to taking too much damage, so you'll need to be healed by a Cleric, or given a Candleberry Salve. Every town has at least one merchant that sells Salves, and some towns have Clerics.

Ok :P, I think you really got some skills if you can make a game like this, I'm now trying to save Billy, but Drumor is really hard to beat!

@Soupnazi
You need to get tinderbox in a tent in Thief forest, and use it after your lantern goes out in the cave in the forest.

I think you have made a great game. Do you know when your next game will be released, I can't wait. Would be great if u kept making more books. Can you go on with the old saves in the new book?

I liked the game a lot, and I couldn't find any bugs. The only thing I noticed was that the door is closed even though you walked trough it after you heared your town is gonna be attacked.

Here are my Notes:

Audio: 8/10
Graphics: 8/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Story: 9/10

@SoupNazi:

There are two lanterns you can pick up during the game. The first is in the tent by Caleb Isildaine, in the Thornbury Wilds. If you missed that one, there's one sitting on a table in a house in Thief's Haven.

@Zorf2222: Thanks for the review! Work is progressing on the 2nd book, and yes, I'll be making sure that saved games will work in future books.

R.J.

Another bug: After the whole gold robbing thing in Thornbury, everytime you leave the pub from then on it's always automatically night time when you go outside. Think it might be a loose switch somewhere.

Also, you may want to consider adding a run away option during battles. I was doing the quest for the boots, and was delivering the provisions, when I ran into one of those damn harpies. Ofc I hadn't saved since Thornbury and was game over. It really is frustrating.

In the cave, finding the crystal isn't the thing you are after. There are two deeper rooms in the cave. One of them is the thief's base and one is the Leader home. If you want to meet the leader, you will have to find the password for getting there first.
If you talk to one of the thief's in the tents, he will tell you that he got kicked out because he kept forgetting the password, so he wrote it down somewhere. If you go to the Thief's base you will find the password written on a paper and gain access to visit the leader.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.