Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Text gets cut off in RMXP Dialogues

2ihkrhv.jpg

^ the let's is cut off in the SS.

I am using Universal Message System which lets you add faces. This problem does not occur frequently when not using faces.

So I'm having to resort to manually pressing enter to break the line before it gets cut off. Is there a script that does this automatically or any fixes? Because if I decide to change fonts in the future, I will need to re-do all those manual Enters...

Thanks.

Love":3gdiu4c4 said:
Did you try to change the width of the windows? It fixes the problem then.

Thanks. That did it. But I had to add about 100px width and now the text boxes look a bit ugly. I'll add the 100 I guess but are there any other workarounds?

Jason

Awesome Bro

Then don't do it by 100, although if you look, it leaves space around the sides and bottom that seem to be equal, which looks fine to me. In my eyes, as long as everything is equal, it's fine.

it has to be 100+. I set mine on +110 so it's like 590px now. The face picture is 96*96px and I believe there's a 14px padding to the right the picture so you need to increase it by 110 instead of 96. If it's less than 110, the text can still cut off.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Meh, like I said, I think it looks fine as is anyways (The longer one), add the UMS to that with the name and picture, with some random text, and you should see yourself, lol.

Well I realise it's not that bad when it's got a face picture, but when it doesn't it looks really desolate like my 2nd screenshot illustrates.
I wish you can control it like with HTML code :/ if so that problem woulda been so easily resolved..

Love":2xnd8zgk said:
Hmm, maybe you can set it so that when talking to people without faces, the window would fit with the text (code is \m) and when faces, you know the rest?

unfortunately I never got to try \m. It crashes my game with this message
2m7vprr.png

It's definitely a script collision because I tried it with the Demo and it works fine.
here's my scripts any idea where is the collision? Also, I tried moving the UMS script to the bottom of the list above Main to no avail.
2jaxc8k.png

EDIT: Ok it's one of the scripts of the CBS that's causing the collision.... but Idk scripting enough to fix it -.-"

Thanks very much for the tip, love. it works perfectly.
I have one slight problem with the name box and you guys might be able to answer it since you know UMS.

The first time that the name box displays, it shows no space to the right of the name box. Then in all future dialogues it always has a space to the right. This doesn't happen if I use a font like Kartika (which looks like Arial).

2n8raxu.png

29nz3p0.png

Maybe you should try arranging your text so that it doesn't get cut off. Like, if words go all the way to the right of the message window, press enter to put it in a new line where it won't get cut off.

@MCsephiroth: That would limit the amount of text in a window.

@archerRin: Are you sure that you haven't put a space before the name? Also, for faces, change the original position. That should work.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.