Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[SPOILERS] Black & White new pokemons

J.D. Slasha":38jt5jx7 said:
slightly off topic . . you guys see the new generation of pokemon that just came out? I dunno . . . feels like they're running out of ideas

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon.shtml
why does everyone say this? look at pokemon like clefable and jigglypuff and tell me those were not dumb looking pokemn. people's opinions are being heavily skewed by nostalgia - if you'd take off the rose-tinted glasses you'd see that the pokemon haven't changed, you've just gotten older.

the designs for each pokemon are made by a different team each generation, which is maybe why they look different all the time, but that doesn't mean they've gotten worse.

I probably shoulda' clarified . . . if you look towards the end of the new list, like 5 of the pokemon are like the SAME pokemon . . but with slightly altered sprites. I dunno . . just seems lazy to me. But I guess there's always an argument that could be made either way. Maybe I AM getting old?

look at yanappu, hiyappu and boappu.. they look an awful lot like chimchar..

Hahakurimo looks a lot like roselia..

mamepato and his evolutions look a lot like staraptor and his prior evo's

just sayin

moxie

Sponsor

57.jpg
58.jpg
59.jpg

ahhh so cute I'll get it just for this

i dont know if its just me but a lot of those dont look like pokemon styled sprites idk if they are taking it to a whole new direction or what x:

moxie

Sponsor

I agree with Dev, I played Red and then Gold at a really early age so the subsequent generations have been increasingly blah to me purely thanks to strong nostalgia factor

looking at it objectively gen 2 seems like the worst offender when it comes to retarded designs imo :(

Moxie":1lffk7n8 said:
57.jpg
58.jpg
59.jpg

ahhh so cute I'll get it just for this

I

I was trying to stay spoiler free.

YOU MONSTER!

(There is an entire section on this site for Pokemon y'know. Don't need to discuss here.)

Twirly

Sponsor

bacon":1dlkaqm0 said:
i dont know if its just me but a lot of those dont look like pokemon styled sprites idk if they are taking it to a whole new direction or what x:
obv. they had to take a new direction b/c everything after gen 2 was bullshit

moxie

Sponsor

Pokémaniac":tc4ea7be said:
I

I was trying to stay spoiler free.

YOU MONSTER!

(There is an entire section on this site for Pokemon y'know. Don't need to discuss here.)

oh noo I didn't even think of that, I'm sorry! unless you're just joking, in which case, you're a butt

I put my post in spoiler tags, might wanna edit your quote too :x

Ok, done. I really am staying spoiler free, but I'll get over seeing 2 new mons(The first croc thing was already out when I decided to go spoiler free.).

boon

Sponsor

88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

what

idk it just seems the evolutions, especially on some chains like Gear, are really really lazy and they just slapped tiny little bits on. Most of the third-stage evolutions don't seem evolved enough.

Oh, and the version-exclusives, Gochiruzeru and Daburan, they looked like they'd be like Zangoose and Seviper - they really don't need ONE pre-evolution, let alone two of them.

Otherwise, a hell of a lot of these guys look pretty damn awesome, i.e.:

121.jpg
129.jpg
132.jpg

BUT ALSO; i find it surprising that a few Pokemon look like they should be evolutions of a previous generations Pokemon, but have been confirmed not to be (which really emphasises on Nintendo going over the same idea in the form of Baffuron and Mamanbou).

edit:
147.jpg

148.jpg

151.jpg

these are the same sprites with a color change and some tiny alterations. why

I think they've gone too far in the wrong direction in the design of the Pokemon. I like the darker more mature tone the games seem to be taking, and like the fact that the Pokemon themselves seem to reflect that, but I just don't think their design is anywhere near the quality of Gen I - IV.

Usually there is at least one or two Pokemon that I instantly warm to - there hasn't been that in this generation. I am looking at some of the stats and I'm beginning to see how some could work - I'm hoping that Electric/Bug tarantula w/ Compoundeyes can learn "Zap Cannon" for instance. :fap:

Others which I'm beginning to warm to include the "Cerberus" pseudolegendary, the Fossils, the Egyptian Coffin (but only after finding out how "Mummy" works) and the Fire/Ghost Chandelier - which is frankly the most imaginative use of the typing I think I've ever seen.

But... come on! The Ice Cream cone pokemon - WTF? Ice is one of the least appealing types to use in the game already due to a lack of decent defenses - and they give us a pure type stupid-looking Ice Cream cone with "Ice Body"?

I think nearly every evolution line is disappointingly designed, and the less said about the legendaries the better. Those Legendary Genies are beyond disappointing.

They look like they've been trying to fill the Isshu dex with outlandish designs rather than their usual mix of simple animal designs mixed with those with an imaginative spin. It doesn't really work for me.

Honestly, it makes you wonder what they rejected.

And the Fire starter becomes Fire/Fighting. Hey Gamefreak, ENOUGH already. At least "Emboar" has a bigger difference in his stat spread than Blaziken/Infernape. :eek:uch:

I think the imagination of the fans finally eclipses that of the makers.

To be honest, this is probably the only generation in which the selling point for me has been the new mechanics. Roll on 3v3 battling!

One other thing I'm bitterly disappointed about is the apparent lack of any Gen I-IV evolutions.
Now, I know they said that this was a completely new start, but I was at least expecting some post-game National Dex evolutions like in the Sinnoh generation. :down:

One thing to note is that they've released yet another Pokémon with literally no weaknesses. Specifically, the ones that are pure electric with levitate. Since electric type is only weak to ground type, levitate means that they have no weaknesses, and a couple of types they're automatically strong against.

Glitchfinder":2a1g0mjo said:
One thing to note is that they've released yet another Pokémon with literally no weaknesses. Specifically, the ones that are pure electric with levitate. Since electric type is only weak to ground type, levitate means that they have no weaknesses, and a couple of types they're automatically strong against.

Yeah - but a lot of the new pokemon are packing Mold Breaker, and a few more look like Gastro Acid will be in their moveset. I think one of the Ground types has Mold Breaker, so I think that might be their way of balancing it all out.

It will be interesting to see if those eels become a dominant force in the metagame. I personally think they'll turn out to be a brief fad because they'll have movesets and counters that make them unappealing to use.

Incognitus":3ub8hdqh said:
One other thing I'm bitterly disappointed about is the apparent lack of any Gen I-IV evolutions.
Now, I know they said that this was a completely new start, but I was at least expecting some post-game National Dex evolutions like in the Sinnoh generation. :down:

Yeah I was hoping to finally see an evolution or even a pre-evolution of old school favorites such as Farfetch'd and Pinsir, but alas . . . nope.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.