Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RTP CHALLENGE: The Talented Donovan Walls

ryanwh said:
And a recolor can be recognized from its source, so its OK to use?':|
Not only can I recognise his battler as bartender01, it actually "IS" bartender01. Being presented in a different manner does not mean a modification has taken place (from my perception). Nothing has been added to or taken away from the default resources. They are simply being managed differently. I still see it as RTP and I fully support everythingisbleeding’s decision on the matter.

I apologise Nix for derailing your thread… so to give this post relevance I’ll comment on your plot. It’s nice to hear stories once in a while where we get a chance to focus more on a character’s personal journey, as opposed to one where ‘world development’ is the agenda. This journey isn’t about a person’s epic struggle to go off and save the world. He’s off to save someone he loves. A private struggle. Having to weigh up what he aims to achieve against the costs toward getting what he wants… To watch a character personal battle within himself, between his heart, and his mind… this is some pretty riveting stuff.

Best wishes on your character development.

looks like a cool game, Nix. Can't wait to play it when it is done. So far (from the screenshots) I see no rule breaking. Just remember that you aren't allowed to combine tilesets. everythingisbleeding said that in one of his posts, I think. Also, modifying the character doesn't make it any less RTP. You gotta think this way: It's still a challenge, even if you can modify the charactersets in size like that, because, after all, if the battler doesn't look good resized, it's points taken away from you in the contest.

Resizing a character set isn't the best thing I'd suggest, but it is allowed. However, the only thinks that AREN'T set to a MUST BE RTP are music and windowskins. Battlers MUST be RTP, whether they be edits of character sets or normal RTP, it doesn't matter, as long as they are RTP. You CANNOT use non-RTP battlers (unlike Lord Gradient said) as you CANNOT edit RTP battlers, and you can't use non-RTP battlers. You may resize things, but resizing doesn't make them any less RTP.

Think about it. Which is RTP and which isn't: Using RTP character sets as battlers via resize, or changing all the colors so they don't even look like the RTP characters anymore? Anyway, my rant is over now. Yes, I can say all this stuff, I am a judge after all, meaning I'm FORCED to know the rules.

The point isn't that it's not RTP. The point is that it's not an RTP battler. That's where it's flawed in this specific case.

But as a whole, it's not a matter of him breaking the rules- it's that the rules are absolutely terrible to begin with.

Either way, by allowing original music, windowskins, pictures and the like, the contest is terribly flawed as it is. Hence, I'm switching to the Defaultus.

Have fun winning a flawed contest, Nix. :)

Rye

Hey, Despain, why don't you complain to the creator instead of Nix? That would do so much better, and might be productive!

Anonymous

Personally I think that it would look better without the battler no matter if it's RTP or not. You have the text to show which characters are which, you don't need to bend the rules with that big pixelly eyesore :p

That said, I quite like this. (The walking speed did get to me a little, though. Donovan why are you so s-l-o-w?)

Nix

I've changed quite a few things, weakening some of the enemies and speeding up Donovan, as well as adding in a friendly, neighbourhood catlady merchant.

The game only goes up to the 2nd boss battle. Please PM me with any bugs you find (I'd rather you not post them in this thread, although I suppose you may).

As for the next update, I should have the 2nd boss encounter fully finished as well as a few more spells added in to find (I've already put them into the skills database, but I've yet to hide their spell books around).

Enjoy! Any C&C is welcome and needed. :lol:

Nix

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.