Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RTP CHALLENGE: The Talented Donovan Walls

Nix

THE TALENTED DONOVAN WALLS

STORY:

Once upon a time, there lived a rather extrordinary man named Donovan Walls. A magician by trade, he had power over life itself. It seemed he had everything; power, a guardian who loved and cared for him, and wealth that could only be dreamed of.

But what happens when Donovan is faced with a terrible decision? When the one person he ever loved is in danger, and the only way to save her puts the world at risk? You'll have to find out for yourself...

DOWNLOAD:

http://ez-files.net/download.php?file=399caa26

or...

http://rapidshare.de/files/34085263/Nix__RTP_Challenge.rar.html

Finished!

SCREENSHOTS:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/ ... e472b4.png[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/ ... f34519.png[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/ ... d86bcc.png[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/ ... CREEN4.png[/IMG]

I don't know how you managed to turn RTP into such a good non-umm-over-fantasy-ish materpiece, but damn you did a good job with this.

Seems like you broke a rule, though, using a battler that isnt in the battler database. Also, did you change the font? I thought no script changes or any database changes were allowed?

Nix

Silly ryanwh! I found some loopholes ;-)

The text is a result of a script call, which is not against the rules (the default text did not look very good AT ALL), and the battler is simply a resized RTP sprite (without any edits), and was thus allowed (I personally asked everythingisbleeding, the contest head). But thanks for the heads-up: it's important for me not to have anything that goes against the rules (disqualification = BAD).

As for not changing the databases, that's a personal restriction Serenade decided to undertake. T'will make it somewhat difficult for him, methinks...

Damnit, this is the kind of entry I wished that nobody would do. In other words, good job Nix. This looks very nice and has quite a bit of potential. I really hope you manage to finish the game. A few days late, of course.

I better get cracking with Endless White. I'd post a topic for it, but there isn't really much to show. It's amazing how slow progress goes when you are limited to 2 tilesets.

That it will. I just need to figure out what the hell I'm going to do about my entry. I can't believe the RTP doesn't have a wolf. Furthermore, I can't believe the entire introduction and several cutscenes of my entry relied on the RTP having a wolf. Not sure what I'm going to do.

There's a beast that looks midly wolf-like.

I loved the demo of your game so far by the way, strong start with a potentially deep plot, and none of it felt cheesy.

Rye

and the battler is simply a resized RTP sprite (without any edits), and was thus allowed (I personally asked everythingisbleeding, the contest head)

Apprently, you can't read, Serenade. Nix already asked and was allowed.

And Nix, I think this is a really nice game. I loved actually how when you checked things out, Donovan would tell you what they were and maybe add a comment or something. ^_^ Very nice. I am looking forward to playing this once it's finished.

Not really a challenge anymore, ey. That's what I was saying. Most games here are rtp mixed with a few other elements to begin with, how is it a challenge now to make what everyone already starts off making? Completely RTP? I get it. Completely none-RTP? That's a good challenge too. But considering all these little things the contest holder is letting slide this really isnt a challenge, its just a standard game making competition now. Resizing a sprite and using it as a battler doesnt count as editing for this compo? That's just silly. That requires more editing than a recolor.

Yea, i agree. The battler is a bit too far... But the pictures, we are only allowed 30. I think it should be lowered to 15... More challenge.

Zoom

•Misspellings: "faulter", "necromany", "cowardrice", "eveyrthing", "philisophical", "persay"
•Skull Island? Is this an alternate universe of King Kong?
•Switching pages of text in the middle of sentences is not conducive towards dissemination of ideas. But it gets REALLY silly with the one word page "...Island?"
•Donovan walks almost as slow as the song "Mellow Yellow" before meeting Madeline. :)
•Oh noes! The bad guy in red talks in all caps! Must be from the "Snakes on a Plane" IMDB forum.
•You can walk through the plant in the room with the memo on the table.
•The house's balcony doesn't look right since the space between it and the stairs to 1F is shorter than the space between the stairs and the house's entrance. Very beautiful exterior made with RTP, BTW.
•Castlevania is a nice place to get battle music from, though perhaps a bit obvious. (On the other hand, using RTP without major modifications is more obvious, so never mind.)

I was going to continue playing past the first random encounter, but as always there's a lot to do. But you've shown a great effort up to that point, and I can give you the benefit of the doubt. For an RTP, I give it 8/10. (If it were not in this contest, I'd probably give it 6.5 or 7.)

The RTP Challenge is a contest where you must create a game using only RTP, that means no new graphics and no new scripts!
It looks fine to me. It's a simple resize. Not a makeover. I can still recognise it as Bartender01. Hence I would still consider it part of the RTP. Besides, the contest never said anything about leaving everything as is. It just said to use only RTP, and this is using it... isn't it?

Zoom

Maybe I was reviewing the bugs (seeing they were in uniform, had their antennae straight, mandibles cleaned and serviced, etc.)

Ambience said:
It looks fine to me. It's a simple resize. Not a makeover. I can still recognise it as Bartender01. Hence I would still consider it part of the RTP. Besides, the contest never said anything about leaving everything as is. It just said to use only RTP, and this is using it... isn't it?
And a recolor can be recognized from its source, so its OK to use?':|

Kest

Umm. He could change the battler to something else within the RTP if he wanted to before the contest ends, right?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.