Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RMXP Graphics Guide

Thanks on that, I linked it... well, I meanwhile created a sub-section for programs I have no idea on how they work, but they're still in there... I guess that's the best way...

Anonymous

Photoshop Elements is actually an old version of Photoshop (I think it's 6) that has been slightly modified, most notably to work with the newer Windows operating systems.

If you're a student, it's quite cheap. I think it only runs about $60 at the student price. It also has all the features anyone just starting out is ever likely to need.

Still, The Gimp is free and has all the same features. :P So I suppose it comes down to preference and priorities.

maybe i'm doing things the hard way or something but i just use PhotoPaint8 by corel... i've been using it for years now... it seems to do the trick... should i be using something else?

creiz

well... no. if you know photopaint8 then by no means change software and learn everything again, that would be stupid.

and by the way, i prefer to convert all my graphic files (excepts for pictures with details) to 256 Color png. Irfanview does a marvelous job at creating just the right palette for whatever colors you use. and unless we are talking about HDTV gaming at 2084+ resolutions, nobody is going to see a difference if the red is a tad darker anyways. but still, irfanview generally spots the exact colors.

@Pisica: I have PhotoPaint at work, and it seems to be pretty lame to me... I mean, I dislike Corel's interfaces in general (not any user-friendly IMO, but that won't be the problem if you're used to it), but I think Photoshop can do much more than PhotoPaint can... on the other hand, if you have PhotoPaint, there's no reason you should spend a shitload of money just for what Photoshop offers... I think you're fine with PhotoPaint, as long as it supports things like alpha-settings, which I'm not sure of right now.

In older versions of RM you could choose whether or not the sprites would "align to grid" when using the built in animation feature. I personally hate it and wish I could get rid of it in RMXP is this possible? By default, the sprites align to a grid that goes by 8 pixels while adjusting with the mouse, but you can then go in and adjust by right clicking>>properties. This works out fine in the end... but it's a GIANT PAIN IN THE BUTT and is SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow. I hope there is a way to change this. Thanks!
-K

Older versions of Paint Shop Pro were regarded higher than Photoshop as far as pixel editing goes, for various reasons, but it has in recent years become basically garbage for everything but photo editing.

I miss Paint Shop Pro 6!

Wow, this thread is still here XD

@Kicks: This has not much to do with this thread's purpose, and I also don't get your question... try to explain it better in a new thread in the RGSS Support or Script Request forums...

@arc: The reason I'd consider PSP > PhotoShop in means of spriting'd be that PSP has palette support. Well, like I wrote in the first post, I never used that program, but I can't imagine why they'd get rid of that feature...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.