Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RMXP Graphics Guide

This is more of a reference than a tutorial, but it belongs in here either way ... it should show people how to get their graphics in the game and which filetypes to use for which purposes.

Different programs are capable of different functions in graphic editing. While you could perfectly design a whole tileset in Paint, you'd have to draw it pixel-by-pixel and fiddle around with the included palette only capable of a few colors at the same time.
Other programs are capable of different filters and tools to make your life easier. You can create a nice image in less timethan the programs need to boot, sometimes ^_^

Here's a list of programs you might use for graphic editing. It might be the case that you have them on your harddrive and don't know about it (though it's rather improbable, but you should check out either way).

Adobe Photoshop
The any-way-you-want-it-bitch of graphic programs can handle most filetypes, and for almost every other (for example DDS, a texture format which isn't needed for RMXP, by the way) you can download plugins. It handles all options you can dream of, but it might need some time to get used to Adobe programs, if you never worked with one.
I use this program and can absolutely reccomend it, but only if you have way too much money on your hands, because it's the total opposite of freeware, if you might say so ...
Website: http://www.adobe.com (free trial version downloadable)

JASC PaintShopPro / COREL PaintShopPro X
I never ever used that program, but it's said that it's similar to Adobe's Photoshop series. What I know is that it's capable of palette support and it's a little cheaper in price than Photoshop.
Website: http://www.jasc.com (free trial version downloadable)

The GIMP
The first freeware tool in here. I also almost didn't use this at all, but I've heard that it's almost the same as Photoshop. This is a good alternative for you if you don't have much money to spend, though I personally dislike the whole way the interface is done...

Macromedia/Adobe Fireworks
The few times I worked with this program, I really learned to hate it ... I guess the only good thing Macromedia ever put on the market is Flash and Dreamweaver, but that doesn't belong in here ... There are some people that can't live without this program (most likely they don't know Photoshop exists ^_^ ), so I list it here so you can decide on your own.
Website: http://www.adobe.com/products/fireworks/ (free trial version downloadable)

IrfanView
This is not a graphic creation or editing program, but a helpful tool. It allows picture conversions in many file formats with many options, and it's also free. It's a good replenishment to a professional graphic program.

Microsoft Paint
This should really be the last alternative, but of course it's also possible to do graphics with Paint. It ships with any Windows version, but maybe it's available to download on http://www.microsoft.com ... it can't use most advanced file formats and is really no alternative to ANY other graphic program, so use it maybe to paste your screenshots in to cut them ;)

Paint.NET
This is a free program that once based on Paint, but now is simply an amazing alternative to Photoshop or GIMP. It's also freeware and much easier to use than Photoshop, but it doesn't has all of it's features ... yet ^_^

iDraw
Not really fitting for RMXP, as it only supports 256 colors, but it's capable of palette handling and grid settings, which is helpful for spriting. It's also free, but for everything beyond sprites, use more advanced programs, especially because of the color limit.

List of programs I haven't used in the past and therefore can't provide anything but their name and a URL to come with... check back later to see if I updated one of them with a 'whole' description.[/Center]

GraphicsGale

COREL Painter

Artweaver
No matter what programs you own and what amazingly named filetypes you have, you need to consider that RMXP can't use all of them. The RPG Maker is able to use BMP, PNG, GIF, JPG, JPEG, and possibly others, that shouldn't be used because the ones mentioned before are better to use or better known :P
Next is a list of which filetypes include which features or specialities, and also for what purposes to use them in RMXP.

BMP
It's Paint's default format, do I have to say more? ^_^ No, this is really a bad choice for a filetype if you're able to proper save PNG files. The only good things about it are that it supports 24bit colored images and doesn't compress the files (that's good for the look of the graphic, but not for the filesize of course, which is incredible large for this filetype).

This filetype shouldn't be used in RMXP unless you go for the biggest project in the history of RPG Makers, at least in filesize ... It's also bad for most other media types, like the internet or whatnot, as there are better alternatives for every kind of media you can think of...

GIF
First thing to say: RMXP doesn't support animated GIFs because of this whole freaking copyright thingy that is around this filetype (you know, Compuserve bought it). Well, you can use the first frame, though, so use it ^_^ The obvious downpoints are that GIF only supports 256 colors, which means that you'll most likely get bad results converting anything into GIF; and even worse if you use Paint for that (IrfanView has a very good color depth change feature, so use this instead).

If you have background images for scenes with less than 256 colors, using GIFs might save you some space. You might also create sprites with it if you can't use PNG, but that shouldn't be the case.

PNG
A very pleasant filetype to use. It's rather small, compresses the image without loosing quality and supports 24bit color. It also supports interlanced colors, which means you can include an alpha layer in the file to define transparency. Unfortunately, this alpha layer isn't usuable for websites as most browsers won't display it correctly (thanks to ccoa for the hint on that one)... besides that, there is no real downpoint (and this isn't really a downpoint of the filetype, but of the browsers).

The undoubtedly best file format to use with RMXP. Use it for everything but backgrounds, mainly for sprites. With the built-in alpha layer, you can pre-define up to 255 tranparency levels (just for comprehension, RMXPs import manager supports 2 ^_^ ) and import them without needing to define them.

JPG/JPEG
Join the Photographers Expert Group and use this file format for lange images that don't need transparency. JPG and JPEG are nearly the same, so it doesn't really matter which of them you use. Most programs contain a save option for JP(E)Gs to change the quality from 1 to 100. A higher number means larger quality but also larger filesize, and vice versa. Even on highest quality, it's smaller than other filetypes, if you have large backgrounds or something similar.

The - in my opinion - best filetype to create backgrounds. It's smaller than BMP or PNG (and in 75% of the cases GIF) and supports 24 bit. Use it for every background that has detail in it. You shouldn't use it for sprites, though, as it won't save pure [insert any color here] that faces another color nearby (thanks to Paradox for reminding me of this) and also can't save transparency; if you ever see a JP(E)G with transparency in it, it's most likely the program that set a specific color - most of the time 0-0-0 (black) transparent.
Graphics may not be the most important part of a game, but they contribute to the first impression someone gets when viewing your project. You should always go for the perfect result rather than for 'ah, doesn't looks that bad' point of view.

I hope this tutorial was somewhat helpful to all you graphic newcomers or inexperienced Paint-spriters ;) See you on my next tutorial ^_^

Adobe Fireworks. Macromedia no longer exists.

(you know, Compuserve buyed it).
- BOUGHT -

You forgot to include the fact that JPEG distorts pure white when it meets with other colours, making it useless for sprites, due to the multiple colours of white, when only 1 can be transparent.

Also, you managed to leave out Graphics Gale, which is incredibly insulting seeing as how it's better than all of those listed in my opinion, for spriting and tilesetting, at least.

But other than those few things, the tutorial seems good for noobs. Not amazing, but seems to restate the basics of graphics development, though this manages to cover the filetypes, which is something I haven't seen before.

Good job, and hope to see more like it.

It's actually still called Macromedia regardless of the ownership. Most of the macromedia product still have the "Macromedia" part to their name.

anyways.

This goes with the Gimp - There's another version which is called Gimpshop. http://plasticbugs.com/?p=241
For those a fan of photoshop this version is quite good. and being freeware, who can say no to it?

Anonymous

BlueScope said:
Unfortunately, this alpha layer doesn't get displayed by webbrowsers

Only some browsers, Firefox used to have a problem displaying png's correctly (although it wasn't a problem with the transparencies), but it seems to have been resolved with later versions. Internet Explorer is the one that has the problem (as always), not sure if it was resolved in the latest IE.

Nice, you've managed to address several common questions in one swell foop.

Lol, it took you guys a month to realize my tutorial :P

I added some information and corrected some sentences according to your posts (haven't covered the two mntioned graphic programs yet...), I hope you're all happy now... those were mainly form errors, but I didn't knew they actually were browsers displaying PNG transparency correctly... the transparency is still unusuable for a proper design, as you need to design a website fitting for all browsers... ;)

Thanks for your input, folks... please redirect all noobs in here that'll ask these questions all day ^_^

ccoa said:
Only some browsers, Firefox used to have a problem displaying png's correctly (although it wasn't a problem with the transparencies), but it seems to have been resolved with later versions. Internet Explorer is the one that has the problem (as always), not sure if it was resolved in the latest IE.

Nice, you've managed to address several common questions in one swell foop.

IE is completely fucked up, at home I have version 6.2800.xxx.xxx etc and it works perfectly, and at work I've got the version 7.whatever which doesn't display them correctly...

note: I love you IE.

That's weird.

Maybe it might be the computer there or something. or just the version of IE.

I have IE 7.0.5450.4 (haha. just wanted to say that) and PNG transparency works.

Japa

Another program woth mentioning is wally.

It's not the best, and only edits in 256 colurs, but can view and edit the image being tiled, that way you know immedietley how a tile will look when it's, well, tiled.

it's also freeware, but out of development.

Wally is mainly for texture editiong, not tiling, that's why I haven't listed it. The 256-color-limit is an additional factor that also threw iDraw out.

BlueScope said:
Wally is mainly for texture editiong, not tiling, that's why I haven't listed it. The 256-color-limit is an additional factor that also threw iDraw out.
iDraw and Wally are more for RM2K and RM2K3, given the colour limit.

whoa woah hold the phone. Idraw definately needs to be up there. Tell me, how many colors do you think you're going to use on a character set ? Do you honestly think you'll use up all 256 on one charcter? hell no. And the fact that there's only one character per sheet now makes things all the more better for Idraw. Furthermore, it has an axceedingly simple animation feature, and a VERY useful "Draw to grid" setting. Something NONE of the above mentioned programs have (Save for GG, but even GG doesn't do it as well as Idraw) .

Idraw may not be high powered but it's external and easily customizeable palette makes it far superior to MS paint as far as color editing go. And its simple "Draw to grid" and 1 click animation (PLUS tiling) makes it an indispensable tool for RMXP character creations. I know, because every characterset I've done was on Idraw. Its FAR more effective for the task than any other program you have up there. (excluding GG. )

When you talk of tileset coloring, I use graphics gale and Idraw, nothing else. Photoshop? Gimp? you're just overcomplicating a simple process really. Unless you're going for the PS textured look stay away from these programs if you're just starting to do pixel art. If you're experienced and know what the hell you're doing (like Tana) then have at it. Noobs tend to see the brushes and burn and dodge tools and sprite away with them. In the end, it looks like crap =/

One thing you should remember is that simple programs like I draw and GG actually make it easier to draw tilesets due to their built in "grid snap" feature. Even if I decide to Photoshop a tileset I would draw it in Idraw first because its FAR easier.

the only real drawback to Idraw is that its a little glitchy due to incompatability to Windows XP. But it's not so much that you can't use it. Seriously, it should be up there =/

Well, I think it simply doesn't fit, as this should be a guide especially for RMXP's settings, and since RMXP supports 24 bit coloring, programs limited to 256 colors aren't capable of the whole thing... I agree with you that recolors and such are as easy with iDraw as they are with more complex programs, but it's not easier at all as you said.
Well, a guide from you on how to draw lucky sprites would be nice anyway, so you could cover up the details of these programs, too... I'm going to edit it in, but not going to go in-depth...

I assure you that nearly every sprite in the RTP for RMXP uses a 256 color palette, and actually utilizes less than half of that. Telling someone not to use a 256 color pixel based program to make spritework? That's just backwards as hell. If you browse half the sites on the "Spriteart tutorial list" one of the first things they'll tell you is not to use more than half the programs you've listed .

Meh, whatever I guess there's no sense beating a dead horse or talking to brick walls.. What do I know anyways. =/

Chill good, man... I know your a over-the-top spriter, but this is not only a tutorial for spriting, but for every graphic type of RMXP (maybe that's why it's called Graphics Guide ^_^). I didn't intend to include programs for specific needs only, but now I added iDraw to the list and marked it as a spriting-only program, so what do you want me to do furthermore? Put it on top of the list, highlighting it in red and make it all bold so everyone can see it and not the content that has been originally in my guide? ^_^

Hey what can I say . I like to make sure that information given to the young unmolded minds of tomorrow is correct and *insert long winded speach here* That is all.

GraphicsGale is by far the best program. Include it or hear my wrath.

(That means I'll scratch up all your furniture, shit on your carpets, piss on your bedroom floor, and meow like a banshee all night!)

^_^

Well, the problem is that I don't know anything of GG besides the name... and I mean really ^_^ If I have some time on my hands, I'll check it, until then, the site adress has to be enough...

Korin

I can testify to the usage of Paint Shop Pro. Sometimes it is a little bit rough around the edges (When I have, oh say, red hair, for example, I have to delete all the skin and post it on a higher layer so the skin doesn't change color) but it is really useful.

And Paint isn't that bad, really. It is a ton of work, mind you, but for years I sprited with paint alone and made some pretty impressive stuff.

I didn't said that you aren't able to make decent results with paint, it's just a damn hard process... just look at the predefined palette, it's a pain in the ass to change the colors.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.