Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Ravenwood Horror

Ravenwood Horror

First off thanks for playing!

Here is your ultimate clue for Graves riddle:
Each grave name initials are the same. Pick each initial and put them in order from older to younger.

please do not post the answers to the puzzles this takes away the fun in the game, me, miek and gir went through this game without any help and this is the way it should be for others too, if they want the answers get them to pm you if they desperately need them, dont spoil it for everybody else.

Wow, this looks awesome! I'm downloading now- can't wait. I crap myself if I play 3D horror games, but I can somewhat stand 2D ones =D. I'll edit this post when I've played it a bit to tell you what I think (not that my opinion really matters XD).

mawk

Sponsor

Howard did that give you guys trouble?

(Spoiler: Gir was stumped for a solid half hour or more before we figured it out and told him.)

A couple things:

You have passability errors when it comes to mirrors. It's possible to walk up a wall if there's a mirror there.

I also encountered a glitch in the mausoleum in the graveyard behind the door which opens when you have the vial of blood. When I went in, it was entirely empty. When I left, I couldn't go back in again -- the screen would fade up and I would wind up on top of the transport event. This made it possible to walk up into the dorrway and hang over the top of the roof, but impossible to head back in. I think that this killed the game, there being no other visible courses of action at this point, so I've put it down for now.

Nice game, though. One complaint -- I can understand when certain screens are dark, but not all of them. Most of the dark rooms have actual torches and things in them, which is kind of silly in its own right -- in some rooms, one or two small lamps is enough to illuminate the whole place, while in others the air is apparently suffused with a vapor of ink which prevents the relatively large number of scattered lamps from illuminating anything outside of a five-foot radius.

Also, what was the purpose of the broken-glass sound after you open the chest with the Minister's password? There are just a handful of windows in the town, and none of them seemed broken.

Woo! I beat it! The ending is pretty damn good, and I can honestly say this game was a happy waste of 4 hours ^_^
I salute you, sir.

A few questions to answer in the sequel:
-What happens to Henry Smith if he surrenders?
-What ever happened to Howard's Wife?
-What caused Howard to go insane?

And once again, this game was really good like Arbiter said. Well done.

Doctor":349kqnt1 said:
Will be playing this. And you know what's next.
Heh.  I'm looking forward to your review of it.  And if you weren't going to, do it anyways.

That first puzzle was annoyingly hard so I'm not replaying this for a while.

Thank you all for playing. I'm really glad you liked it.
I have already planned a sequel. But more on that later.

Chimmy Ray":142xnj61 said:
You have passability errors when it comes to mirrors. It's possible to walk up a wall if there's a mirror there.
I also encountered a glitch in the mausoleum in the graveyard behind the door which opens when you have the vial of blood.
Nice game, though. One complaint -- I can understand when certain screens are dark, but not all of them.

Also, what was the purpose of the broken-glass sound after you open the chest with the Minister's password? There are just a handful of windows in the town, and none of them seemed broken.
I'm glad you found those glitches. I fixed them.
As for the dark rooms. At some points I realised they have enough lights not to be dark, however I decided to keep them to maintain surreal/eerie atmosphere.
About the spoiler you mention
I originally thought of setting up a monster pop up from a window, but then scrapped the idea, but the sound effect stayed in. And one time I was playtesting, I had forgotten about it and it scared me. So I left it in as "cheap scare" that creates a menace like "something will happen now".

Gir":142xnj61 said:
A few questions to answer in the sequel:
-What happens to Henry Smith if he surrenders?
-What ever happened to Howard's Wife?
-What caused Howard to go insane?
Here are some answers:
1)Try that and you will see. There are many slightly different endings.
2)It is possible to find out if you replay the game ;)
3)Simply put and without many details. Howard started researching forbidden books and cults as a hobby but soon discovered something bigger through them. That he can gain superhuman powers and control over others. Simply enough he decides to go deeper into all this, joining a brotherhood (this will be probably in the sequel) that shares the same interests. But nothing is simple when you go beyond reality and his quest for power becomes quest for survival. He sees conspirancies against him everywhere, he feels otherworldly forces are out to get him, so he decides to use his new powers to save himself. But while he is alone he doesnt know how to do that. For example he'd like to make minions that share half man intelligence half demon awareness, but mostly fails (that is a simplified example with poor word choice). These actions would seem that he went insane to a normal person. That is all simply put, I got bored of writing so I stop here.

@Doctor: I'm looking forward to your review ;)

mawk

Sponsor

As for the dark rooms. At some points I realised they have enough lights not to be dark, however I decided to keep them to maintain surreal/eerie atmosphere.

There's surreal, there's eerie, and then there's dark screen tint. They're not mutually exclusive. I'm not saying that you should scrap the tint altogether, but take into consideration which rooms you want to be dark and which you don't. There's a unique scary quality to going from a safe-looking area with cheery lighting into a significantly darker area with the creepy music starting to play.

Personally, I don't like screamers and I don't like loud noises for the sake of loud noises. To me they seem incredibly cheap in a genre which usually relies on the situation and atmosphere to get a reaction, not flashing lights and a screamy sound-effect onscreen. Just having something unexpected happen suddenly can make someone jump out of the skin if the set-up is right, even if it's a teddy bear falling out of a cupboard accompanied by the sound of seagulls.

Still, I think I'd better say some nice things to balance this out -- I really liked this game, aside from the screamers and the persistent screen tint. You actually managed to make me feel like something was chasing me through the house at times, even when nothing was happening, and the puzzles ranged from simple to moderately challenging (I'm most impressed with the Jesus Icon one.) The story was, eh, kind of generic horror game fare, but you managed to string me along for most of the game.

@Chimmy Ray
I really appreciate your feedback.

I don't wanna go back and rework the tint, because that's what I wanted for the game in the first place, but I take the advise under consideration for the next game I make.

As for the screamer I also felt a couple are just cheap scares but they were kept for the reason I said in the earlier post. But some felt right to me. I mean I tried to set them up a bit.
And the fact that sometimes you felt being chased just by the atmosphere without anything being there, makes me more than happy about the effort, cause that's what I'm aiming for.

I'm glad you liked the puzzles. When I made them I said to myself that even if one person likes one of them, I'll be happy.
The story will be expanded on the sequel; I wasn't planning to impress anyone with it anyway, at least in this game.

@xephyr14: I'm really glad you liked the puzzles. As for the scary, I doubt people crap their pants on 2d nowdays. A "horror" atmosphere was my aim.

@Arbiter: I'm glad you liked it.

General question, what Epilogue did you guys get?
The Epilogue shows just after the credits are done in case you missed it.
The Epilogue shows you what kind of ending you made.
I'm curious to see if anyone got the A ending!

Henry: Alive
Travis: Dead
Rebecca: Dead

This was a good game, though I found some of the puzzles to be very frustrating. This was very similar to the Clock Tower series, minus the scissor wielding maniac. Speaking of which, in future releases, you might want to include that sort of enemy that might just pop out at anytime to give chase; it simply adds more edge and stress to the atmosphere, because as it this, no matter how dark and eerie it is, you can't help but feel comfortable in the fact that you know no more than 6 monsters are ever going to jump at you.

More in the upcoming review.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.