Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Ravenwood Horror

Ravenwood Horror

Intro
I've been using VX since it's been out but I have no complete rpg projects since I always think big when it comes to RPGs.
So, this time I decided to do a simple adventure-horror game, more like a homage to my all time favs.
The game runs for max and hour if you're stuck somewhere. Otherwise I'd say 1 hour for your first time.

Story
Story takes place in 1886 and you assume the role of Dr Henry Smith.
You wake up in a strange, eerie basement where you discover that you must solve riddles and face many hostilities to survive.
You soon discover it's the Mansion of Sir Wilkins. You were invited by his wife to examine his mental health.
Somehow you're taken away from your room and end up where the adventure starts.

Characters
Henry Smith
Profession:Psychiatrist
Dr Henry Smith is a man of logic thrown in an illogical situation. During the course of the story he continually tries to put logic first,
but he will soon discover that not everything can be explained.

Travis O'Brien
Profession:Innkeeper
Travis is cousin of Sir Wilkins wife and was there for a visit with his wife Rebecca. He claims he was attacked and lost contact with her.
He doesn't give away many details but his convinced that they are all in crave danger.

Sir Wilkins
Profession:Factory Manager
According to his wife Sir Wilkins has started loosing his sanity. He has been obsessed with certain forbidden cults and religions,
and has been attacking people who get close to his study room. The day Dr Smith arrives to examine him, Sir Wilkins is tied down
on his bed by his wife and servants. But when the strange events happen, he is free and dangerous.

Screenshots

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7321/copyofnewbitmapimagexw1.png[/img]
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7321/copyofnewbitmapimagexw1.d4060cb4ec.jpg[/img]

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6434/newbitmapimagefs0.png[/img]
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6434/newbitmapimagefs0.dc8c22b85b.jpg[/img]

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/3328/newbitmapimage2hp2.png[/img]
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/3328/newbitmapimage2hp2.9cf2f0879e.jpg[/img]

Features
The mechanisms of the game are simple adventure ones, where the only menu is the item menu, and you interact with most objects in order to proceed.
Depending on your actions there are three majore endings and many sligth alterations of the previous.

Full Game
Version1.6
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5249 ... b9a8902bda
v1.6 Fixed some more bugs.
v1.5 Added walkthrough, added more descriptions and fixed a bug.

Walkthrough
Here is a spoiler free walkthrough to achieve the very basic ending.
For the other endings you're on your own!

-Leave the first room and get to the cross like room
-Take the matches from the small room in the left
-Check the open grave in the small room in the right

-Notice the names' initials on the grave and put them in order based on age

-Go to the main hall through the right door of the library

-Check the dinning room on the right of the main hall

-Return to the library and check the office located to the left side
-Open the lights
-Check the far drawer

-After you put the painting in its place check the right statue

-Go to the second floor from the main stairs and enter the lower right door
-Enter the bedroom and check its bathroom (it's on the far right)
-Search the drawers next to the body
-Back in the bedroom check the little chest

-From the main second floor hall, go to the lower left door
-Enter the far bottom left room and check the drawer

-Go to the dinning room and open the upper door

-In the corridor after the dinning room enter the room opposite of the door
-Search the butler
-Back in the corridor enter the kitchen(lower right door) and go down the stairs
-In the cellar the clues for the chest are
-The numbers for the password come by adding the numbers of the wines amount
-The dates show you in what order the numbers go
-The numbers 1,4,6,8 are the only numbers used in the password

-Go to the main hall and check the right dragon statue

-On the second floor enter the upper left door

-After the balcony go to the right room and then to the other right room

-If you choose to "stay and search" go the corridor after the balcony and enter the left door
-According to the notes press the colored switches in order
-When the books go black except one row take the painting
-Return to the art gallery and use it
-After the secret art room return to the main hall and enter the upper left door
-Proceed to the courtyard using the north door and continue along the corridor

-If you choose to "explore the courtyard" return the corridor past to the balcony and go down the stairs
-Enter the corridor through right door and then the courtyard on the north

-After the maze, past the first house, go where the three houses are
-Search the first floor of the right house
-Search the small barn above the left house
-Enter the left house and check the fireplace
-Go to the second floor of the right house
-Examine the icon
-There are four hidden words
-Each word contains only one of the highlighted letters
-Enter the code in the chest

-Go north and open the gate. Continue along the cemetery into the church

-Check the crosses

-Go to the right room and up the stairs
-Ring the bell three times

-Check the altar and then enter the mausoleum from the cemetery

-In the obelisks you need to find three words
-The first and third word can be found in the upper right obelisk
-The second word is upper left obelisk formed by the red letters

--------->For different endings search some more by yourself next time you play ;)

Credits
Min Chan
Aindra
Inquisitor
Poizinblud
Tori
Sithjester
BudsieBuds
Kaduki
Kylock
Woratana
Erzengel
Deadly Dan
Makerninja
Masami Ueda
Takeshi Miura
Masato Koda
Etsuko Yoneda
Akira Yamaoka
Enterbrain
Resident Evil Series
Silent Hill Series
Maria Lata
RpgmakerVX.net
RMXP.org
DJ OMiY

Yayh for another horror game. I don't mind if it has no battle at all though. Puzzle solving and horror atmosphere is enough for me to enjoy horror games.

Great, a horror game(not sarcastic)!
I like the darckness of the screen shots...sets a nice mood.
Im the type of guy that loves stories but even greater then that i love mysteries...If its solving puzzles then ill definetly play.

Thanks for the replies!

@hima:The demo has a few puzzles but nothing special yet, more of a key chasing.
Also battles are not included in the demo, I want to fix the system before implementing it.

@blibla48: The tilesets are from the default VX rtp, with some additions from the Inquisitor Indoors tiles and also moddified a bit by me.

@Dark_Cover: As said above the puzzles are not complete yet. The demo is there to show a few things about the game.I hope you like it.

Homunculus":377bqtc2 said:
how do you make the menu only an item menu?
i dont know much about scripting

This isn't the place for that. I'd suggest you keep your replies relevant to the project.

As for the project itself, horror games very rarely work in RMXP. I've seen a lot of them and they all seem very similar -- a big mansion, with lighting effects and screen tints that make everything seem dark and spooky. Topped off with an incredibly vague and "mysterious" plotline.

What sets your game apart from these others?

@gboichris: Thanks for comment!
@Homunculus: A friend scripted for me so I'm sorry can't help you much.

@missingno: To be honest my friend, the game is not much different of what you describe.
The mansion setting was an accident so to speak. I was trying to make some new maps for my other game and they shaped up to a mansion. And I thought to myself, why not make my tribute to "horror" games?
The "mysterious" plot isn't actually that mysterious. The awful amnesia cliche thing, is quickly eradicated sometime in the first minutes and things start to shape up. I have a complete explaination as to why things happen.
Lighting effects, tint and music are necessery to give the atmosphere.

Anyway give a try to this early demo and see for yourself.
I plan this game to be a fun trip to a ..less friendly place and a tribute to my beloved "horror" games.

shoosh Missingno, i dont see why people get so upset where things are posted..who cares?
and RPG Maker Horror games are pretty kool..I'm working on a Silent Hill one myself, thats why i needed the script..but nvm

The awful amnesia cliche thing, is quickly eradicated sometime in the first minutes and things start to shape up. I have a complete explaination as to why things happen.

If it's just a few minutes in, then go ahead and tell us. Really if would help more people be interested in the game to learn a little bit more. At the cost of "oh god spoiler's" it's worth it if it will get more people to play, right?

shoosh Missingno, i dont see why people get so upset where things are posted..who cares?

It's called thread hijacking and it's against the rules, chico. You could have at least said something about the game itself first, to make it seem more relevent and polite to the author.

@Homunculus: You can make the script request. Describe what menu you want and someone will make it.

@missingno: You're probably right. It doesn't really matter to spoil a bit. It's not like the Aeris spoiler in the FF 7 game manual.

MukanshinBlack":3jgvue9e said:
Shingu":3jgvue9e said:
AHH! How do you find the password for door!

Same problem...
I got the iron key and typed in all the names from the graves into the door, including my own, and had no luck.

Yeah me too. 

I swear I have pressed action on every freaking object in each map from the start to that room, and there's nothing that's helping.  Got the iron key, read the stupid paper in that room 20 times over, and there's nothing.  Big turn off.  I'll keep trying things.

Lol, thats exactly where I am XD!
I thought it could have been in the hint
'The door will only open at the name of the master'
So I thought maybe it was 'MASTER' But no luck :'(
Then I thought 'hey it could be me!' So I tried putting in
Henry, henry, HENRY, Smith, smith, and SMITH and still no luck :'(
HELP PLEASE

=) Love the theme btw

I would be extremely pissed off if the only reason I'm not getting it is because its supposed to be in all capitals or something stupid.

AHH! THIS IS TOTALLY PISSING ME OFF!!!
*Tries putting in 'Nobody' and 'Wonder'*
OMFG NOTHING WORKS! (looks for some torches to light)

IF ANYONE KNOWS PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.