Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Ravenwood Horror

Ravenwood Horror

@Mesh90: What Calibre said.

@Calibre:Glad you liked it bro. For all the questions you asked
"Is it possible to actually save Rebecca or see Travis again if you decide to help him look for Rebecca?"
Yes it is. You can save both if you do some different playing.

"Who was the girl you get to see walking around the hedge maze?"
Supposedly one of Howard's early ritual "experiments".

"Can you get in the cell at the beginning of the game, the one that says you need a key and there is a passage?  I never tried going back for it but I don't recall getting a jail key."
Yes you can. As for the key it's named "Rusty Key".

"Also was there any use to the sunset pictures or the rest of the pictures at all really?"
The picture description were mainly a decoration and to give some feeling of weird. But if you look more closely the pictures are loosely associated with the last riddle, in their concept.

About the doors, I suppose I forgot to put the action button trigger to some locked ones after thye become unlocked. I'll wait a bit more see if there are any more bugs and then fix them alltogether once and for all.
About more story, wait for the sequel. It's still in early production though because I'm busy with some other stuff too.

I see, I guess I must have missed some hidden things then.

As for the doors, it isn't just ones that were locked, the first time I encountered it was nigh on straight away... the door with the matches opens up on its own and and the door whereyou use the matches doesn't.  I think soon after there are some paths (not doors) from screen to screen that require the action button where as others don't.  It's not a big issue it just dents the professionalism of it overall.

Did you ever play my old game? This really reminded me of it cause mine got linked to Resi even though I didn't realise when I was making it... and I had always planned to make a game more along the lines of this afterwards that was more survival horror than RPG.  I thin k what reminded me is the way you use random items, ie water bottle etc to solve puzzles in mansion.  Your project made me all nostalgic!

@Calibre: Damn since it was the first room I created I must've never noticed it! I'm surprised noone mentioned it so far.

As for your game (you're talking about Cell Chamber right?) I didn't happen to play to it.
BUT I will play it now. I saw your thread and it looks like the kind of game I'd like.
I'll let you know what I think (probably via pm since it appears your thread is old for posting)

Indeed I am.  I got inspiration from your game so hopefully mine can repay the favour, if you can't find a working link let me know, about a 100 people have re-upped it over time.  And true yeah its old now so PM is good.

The file seems to be up still actually miraculously, I guess people must still DL it.

Damn, I don't play to a lot of RM games but this one is probably one of the best I have ever played.
The story is good, a bit cliché but I love clichés when they are used correctly. The graphics are nice. I Mean, the edits are very cool and the mix between VX tilesets and XP characters works pretty well.

The ambience is just great. I was really surprised. Maybe it's because of the soundtrack and SFX?
However, some maps were a bit too dark. It was hard to distinguish some elements, but in general, the lighting was good. The riddles are excellent too. I never looked at the walk through.
It took me 1 hour and half to beat the game and I think it's an excellent lenght for this kind of game. Especially since it's an RM game.

I have found 2 bugs in the manssion. In your room on the second floor, when you examine one of the drawers, the grafic changes. Probably because the lock facing isn't checked on the event. Also, the first guy you shoot, the one with a half-head, when you go into the gardens and come back, the body lies on the ground where you killed him, but he is also where you first found him. Probably a problem with switches.

Besides that, all I have to say is: Good job, great game!
Looking forward for a sequel or prequel! :)

-Dargor

@Calibre:Check your pms~

@Dargor: Thanks a lot man. Glad to know you liked it. One and a half hour eh? Pretty fast one without and any walkthrough tip.

About the bugs fixed the doors that open on touch and the drawer direction lock.

About the body, someone else reported it too, and I tried to fix it but couldn't see what I'm missing. I'll look harder, probably forgot a switch on.
Once I gather and fix some more bugs I'll upload a new version.

p.s:I support the FF6 SDK

As much as I hate to admit it, the things I say matter little. I'm not well known (I think), and I'm not really good at anything.

However, I have to tell you

I was impressed. Incredibly so.

This game really made me freak out.
I also played another horror game earlier tonight, called Reaper.
Now, while that one was more outright freakier than yours was...
Yours left me with a deep and startling feeling- subtle and eerie. It made me want to up and run away as far as I could by the time I finished
I finished your game in about an hour and ten minutes, and only looked at the walkthrough once (At the beginning with the six initials on the graves)

I look forward to future horrors from you, my friend.

@Flamekraiken:Thanks man, glad you liked. If what the game left you with was an eerie and uneasy feeling, then I'm happy cause that's exactly what I aim for.
As for another game, when I have some time, I'll do it. I have most of the story thought out already.

min chan, great game once again! I'm stuck at the last bit still, and I'm too lazy to think.

Anyway, how long did it take you to finish it? Start to finish.

@WeaponOD: Thanks. Check the walkthrough, it might help.
The game took me about three months to make. But I wasn't working all day or anything. More like a week now, next week  no work at all, next week a couple days etc.
If your question applies to how long people finished the game, I have been told 1 hour to 4 hours.

I know the trick to the last bit, but It's annoying because after you type the word, it doesn't tell you, that you've got a word right... and I'm lazy and negative, so I still haven't finished. xD

Planning on another Horror game? If so, I'd love to help/contribute in some way.

WeaponOD":1zi7i3k1 said:
I know the trick to the last bit, but It's annoying because after you type the word, it doesn't tell you, that you've got a word right... and I'm lazy and negative, so I still haven't finished. xD

Planning on another Horror game? If so, I'd love to help/contribute in some way.

Same, I'd love to help in any way too. =D

wow I havn't even beaten the game and it's great...

I just finished...

=This part=
The part with travis and he ask you to look for his dead wife and then you get the gun and shoot that dead guy. Man that actualy made me jump the first time =P. lol.

...and I have to say this is awsome. Even though I havn't finsihed it, it just leaves you with the felling that someone's just told you an awesome stroy. I for one actualy have trainning with actual code and am going to collage next year for game design and I have to tell you I use 2003 and VX (lol notice I skiped xp due to scriping issues). anyway... I just like to see someone whos done something proffesional with this game.

God sorry if I'm confusing or rambling. I'm realy lost for words after this! I just got done playing and I got to tell you man, This game IS AWESOME!  :thumb:

The best part is your story telling abilities. Also It's nice to see something realy original in awhile on these forums.

I'm soooooo looking forword to the sequal.  :thumb:

Keep up the good work man! I've been blown away!

@Necro_100000: Wow, I'm surprised to see you liked it so much. Thanks alot.

As for the sequel I'm gonna wait for the action-game maker. See what it can offer and then start.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.