Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Project:GRID

Project GRID - Full Game Out Now!

Tuna

Awesome Bro

You probably don't want to let the player rotate without moving forwards/backwards. You are driving a car after all!

Sorry I just came back from my intensive three days worth of real life stuff, and now I'm finally getting back into HBGames, whew!

Just tried the demo on my core i5 laptop, no graphic card, running chrome, running at a lightning fast 60fps with no loading time at all. It jumped straight into the pause screen, and I never loaded this game on my laptop before so it couldn't have been cached. So that's excellent.

Regarding in game instruction, yes I see the pause screen stuff, but I didn't know that I can only turn when I'm moving. When I merely press left or right without moving first, nothing happens. It just confused me a bit at first.

Also, what does the drift mode do? Sorry if you've mentioned it already in the forum post but I can't quite find it...

Jason

Awesome Bro

Ah it's great to hear you're running it at 60FPS, since the game looks and plays so much better with a smooth framerate, just wondering but how long did it take for the music to start playing for you?

And the drift mode basically lets your car drift when steering, it makes the turning much looser, imagine like on the Ridge Racer games, where you can corner at like 90 degrees, whereas the standard drive mode makes it drive more... safe, there's no drifting and steering has been stiffened, you'll be able to notice it if you flick back and forth between them a few times, by default you're set to drift mode.

Also, you can only turn while moving, because in reality a car doesn't turn on the spot, lol, like Tuna said: You are driving a car after all!

Jason

Awesome Bro

This is an announcement of an update: I'm currently working on new sprites for the cars, so once I release them I'd like some feedback (Although anything is better than blank rectangles I suppose...), unfortunately, I've had to push back the title screen and player health though, unless I can squeeze them in today... however, I may be having an extra day off work on Saturday, so I'll have 4 days straight to work on this, and make some serious progress, since the deadline is coming quick and I'm sort of behind...

---

Quick question by the way:

Should I make the blood colour a cyan/teal colour to make it look more... techno/sci-fi since it takes place in the internet? (The grid world is based on the internet... I should probaby write a story up explaining it all)

Jason

Awesome Bro

Update: New sprites for cars!

I've made this update real quick, I mean, I wasn't expecting to have them finished this soon, but my brother and his online buddies looked at the designs I had, and really loved these two, they look great in motion too, infact, here's a screenshot (Well actually it's a crop of a screenshot, lol):

new%20look%20screenshot%201.png

What do you guys think? Do you like the look of these, and is it easy to tell what they are? Basically: A police car, and a sort of... street racing car, with a two colour body spray, and a turbo charger popping out of the hood, because that's what all the cool kids do apparently (Even though I've NEVER seen a car with this, except at a car show... I saw SO MANY BOOBS too... it was great!)

I'm not sure how to work out the humans to be honest, since I'm very limited in terms of pixels, since they're smaller... I actually struggled a bit with the cars but they worked out pretty great in my opinion (And others...)

These sprites will be used in the next demo build, so watch out!

Jason

Awesome Bro

Welp... I've added player health already!

Not sure how it happened so quickly, but I've added player health, the default is 8 but this can be tweaked in a matter of 3 seconds (Literally, just have to change the initial variable number), basically I've decided that it'd be too much trouble, and require more events to have something picture based, so I've made it match with the kill counter, it basically looks like this now:

Life: 8 / 8
Kills: 10203921

(Not the most realistic kills but whatever)

I'm using an event, sub event and a global variable for this, although I could VERY easily change the global into an instance variable, not sure why I didn't to be honest, oh well... also just wondering, since I know global variables take up an even space, do sub events too? I'd assume so but just wondering...

I could cut it down and leave out the sub event, however, I've made it so if your health drops down to 1 / 8, the text changes to red, and I'm thinking of adding a red tint to the screen edges or something.

It'll be easier to manage like this too, since now I can drop power ups into the level that increase your health (I'll make them increase it over 8 too if you can collect enough without getting hit), and it can be done with a simple variable drop, and once you progress to next levels (Because even if I don't get it done in time, I WILL add levels even after the contest is over...) I can reset the variable back to its initial number (Which is 8).

Yay!

This will be shown in the next demo build too by the way (The random white bar in the top left corner has been removed to make space for this, it wasn't actually being used for anything at the time, just a sort of test to see where the HUD would go positioning wise and such... no idea why but meh whatever)

Amazing, Jason. You're working on this game lightning-fast.

You're definitely going to win something in the contest.
In fact, I'm going to put that userbar into my sig because I just love your project now.

By the way, the car sprites are AMAZING! I also love the music (which does start up kind of slow with 2-3 seconds but it's not really a problem) and the human AI is impressive. They should move a bit faster with each passing minute though. I'm not sure if you can do that, however...

Jason

Awesome Bro

Well I could make them move faster progressively, but after so long it'd be almost impossible to hit them except with bullets, lol. And thanks for the sig support, that's really appreciated! :biggrin:

I do have a way around the slow loading of the music though, when I make my title screen, I'm going to make a splash screen beforehand, and I SHOULD be able to preload the music during then, so it'll be ready to start up as soon as the level starts.

I know about the cars, but still, I don't know why but, the controls are a bit rough.

BTW, the car sprites look awesome! I like how this is turning!

EDIT: I don't know why, but now it seems that I can now control the game better. Seems that I only had to play it for
a little longer. Thanks for hearing my feedback!

Jason

Awesome Bro

I'm still not sure what you mean by that, and nobody else has felt that way, sadly I can't fix it if you don't go into detail :sad:

It seems that it need some time for me to adapt to the controls! The game's good so far!
So, the game will only consist of killing as much as you can. If you have infinite health, where's the challenge besides
the cars that will block your way?

Sorry if I am bothering you.

Jason

Awesome Bro

I'm not sure if you've been reading my thread or just clicking the demo link... 5 posts above yours, I made a post with big bold letters saying I've added player health, lol, this isn't the finished game...

Jason

Awesome Bro

No problem lol, but it really does help to read what's going on in a thread such as this, since I update it quite often, and make the big updates fairly noticeable, lol :thumb:

Alright. I will try to help as much as I can properly!
From what I can see, the car sprites look awesome!
I don't think you shouldn't trouble too much with the humans, if you
can't change them, I don't think it matters so much. From the preview,
it looks like the human squares look alright with the cars.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Just to let people know, I won't be updating this thread until around Saturday, since I'll be doing a lot of work (Job related work, not work on the game, lol), I'm doing the night shift tonight, then when I wake up tomorrow I'll have an hour to get ready and stuff before I go to work again for the entire day, then I'll be too tired to do anything with this once I get in, so hopefully if I find out that I get my Saturday off as requested (I'll be able to find out tomorrow, but if not I finish at 4pm so I can still work on this afterwards)

However, the next update will come in the form of the latest demo build, which will include the title screen for you to look at, sound effects, and if I can get it done on Saturday, a new power up (Since there aren't any right now, but I'll be adding one or two in...), along with new enemy car AI, it's not much better but it does help when dealing with player health and hopefully fixes a weird bug that nobody except me or Tuna have encountered, lol.

Then, between Sunday and Thursday again, I'll be working 'round the clock on it, since I'll have a lot of free time and I won't be able to work on it on Friday or Saturday, which is the deadline... eek! D:

Jason

Awesome Bro

So I woke up a little earlier than usual today, although it hasn't given me enough free time to actually do anything productive, but I will say this:

During my night shifts at work for the last 3 weeks, I've been jotting down notes and ideas for Project: GRID, just simple designs and ideas for names and cars etc. (Only on blank receipt paper, but meh), and these could be classed as my "design documents" of sorts... and I've just been adding to them whenever I get free time (And I get quite a lot during a night shift...)

I'll take photo's of a few of them (They're on multiple sheets of varying sizes... some are twice as long as others, lol) to show you what I mean, and last night I got a CRAZY idea!

I've decided that once the game is finished, be it after or before the contest (It'll no doubt be after, but I'm not doing this to count towards anything, just got some cool ideas for Project: GRID including spanning it off into new games and such, since I've also got a great idea for a back story...) that...

I'll be hosting my own contest/competition of sorts, and the grand prize will involve me sending the winner these exact designs via mail, so they can have a piece of... umm, my game? Along with a custom designed tshirt with... something on it, lol. (Not decided yet)

It sounds strange, but like I said, I've got some great ideas, and actually I think I'll be sticking with Construct 2 if it means I can make whole games easier and faster than RPG Maker/Game Maker (Unless they bring something REALLY amazing out... besides, I could probably make a JRPG in Construct 2 via the full version... if I get it, lol :P *hint hint!*), I'd also need this to be a forum wide thing and not limited to just my game thread, so I'd probably need help from the admins and mods for that... (Imagine it, as big as this entire Construct 2 contest, but all you have to do is play my game!)

That's a pretty cute idea for a competition. I'm a big fan of how well you're doing with your entry, and all your effort in marketing.

Also if you want to do an "officially endorsed" forum-wide competition for something, flesh out all the details and send it to one of the admins so we can get together and discuss it. Wouldn't happen until after the C2 contest is over, obviously :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.